Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 44071 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1480 on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Nice shooting stan.

Wayne, I'm not even sure what those snakes are. They are dried though and should look pretty good on a whitewood.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1481 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
I decided to drop a large cherry snag the tornado winds had ripped the top out of a over a year ago.

The wood turned out to be good so I decided to try my hand at free hand cutting longrifle stock blanks from the trunk. The trunk is 27 ft long and 22" at the base.

I picked the worst part of the log to practice on.

Back to the shop to clean up my "rough" cut planks.

I got some blanks out of the bad part of the trunk, not the best but the price was only a few hours of my time.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1482 on: October 18, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Finished up an osage sledge hammer handle I'd been working on. It's not a very good pic, but here it is.

Now it's time to start actually working on that scavenger bow...
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1483 on: October 18, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Looks good Eric, I did the same thing several years ago with Cherry and Black Walnut.  Takes awhile for them to dry though.

Psychmonky, that sledge handle looks like it will last a long time, nice work....Dan

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1484 on: October 18, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Psych, that looks great.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1485 on: October 18, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Thanks! The stave had this big ol' scary knot in it, so I wasn't confident enough in my bowyering abilities to attempt a bow out of it. It turned out to have some really pretty grain right below the knot though.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1486 on: October 18, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Nicest sledge hammer in the lower 48!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline gobbler716

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1487 on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Well, yesterday, I sanded below where I needed to, ergo, I will have one nice 20# longbow! Yay me!
To err is human, so keep practicing!

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1488 on: October 20, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Psych, my son broke the handle out of my splitting maul this morning. I may have to make a new handle out of some 'sage.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1489 on: October 20, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
I scrubbed walls today to make Momma Happy. Ya all know how that goes:) But I have a plan, I am looking to buy a used edge sander. So the more I butter her up, the more chance I have of buying a new one:)

Offline DavidV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1490 on: October 20, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
I steam bent my first bow. Hopefully I'll have a nice hickory static recurve soon.

Thanks Roy     :wavey:

Offline DavidV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1491 on: October 20, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1492 on: October 20, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
David, ya need help son:)
While on your photobucket page, place your mouse cursor over the picture you want to post on trad gang. When you put your mouse cursor on a picture, a drop down window appears. You want to left click on the bottom box that says IMG code, when you do it should say copied. Then come back to trad gang and in the box where you type your message, right click and click paste and the url for the picture should appear. You can click preview post under where you type to see how it looks, then close that box and hit add reply.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1493 on: October 20, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Red,

I highly recommend it....although if you are going from tree to handle with only hand tools, u should take it for what it is. Completely frivolous. It will be pretty as well as durable, but you can get a pretty good handle for $15 at lowes.

That said....the same goes for building your own bow....you don't NEED to do it. It sure os fun though  :)

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1494 on: October 21, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Nice curves David.
 Spent the day helping a friend finish his first bow. We have been working through it over the last few weeks.  Tip overlays, snake skins on his and his wife's bow then tillerd his in and completed it with a beaver tail handle wrap.

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1495 on: October 21, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Wow Keenan you two knocked that one out of the park!!!

Beautiful!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1496 on: October 21, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Nice lookin' curves, David.
Psych, I'm a cheapskate at heart, so I'll put off buying if at all possible. LOL!
Keenan, that's a heck of a good lookin' bow. Your friend will love it.

This a.m. I placed what I thought was a good hit behind the right shoulder of a mature doe. She took off with the shaft stickin' out but solidly planted. I slipped out of the woods after 30 minutes and returned after 4 hours. Found blood in the opposite direction I had thought the doe had ran. I crawled through the bushes and brambles on my hands and knees trailing drops of blood for four hours. The blood trail looped around and dwindled to nothing. I never found the arrow shaft nor a bed where she may have lain down. The blood trail actually circled around and almost crossed itself. I guess she wasn't his as well as I had at first thought. But I'm hoping she'll be okay.

Man, I absolutely hate giving up on a wounded animal. I've spent hours looking for a single wounded squirrel and almost never surrender on a deer.    :dunno:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1497 on: October 21, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
----------- thats me being speechless keenan!
sorry red hill- its a terrible feeling
 i empathise!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1498 on: October 22, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Nice looking bow keenan. I definitely see your influence in that one.  I turned thirty today and spent the last four days at my farm hunting. I arrowed a doe on Saturday morning and she didn't go more than 70 yards. The shot passed thru but not all the way, still way good enough that was the first with the new bow. Now I'm going out with kennym's bow from the trade

Sucks about your hit stan, I've been there two years ago.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1499 on: October 22, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Awesome work, Keenan,  And I guess it's OK.    :jumper:

Happy Birthday Dave and congrats on the doe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©