Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 44090 times)

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1520 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Eric, sorry to hear about your wife, hopefully she's on the road to recovery.  My mother had a similar incident several years ago and she had a good result.

Congrats Dino, that's one he'll always remember.

Was building a bow for a contractor's son that is doing some work on one of the rental properties I manage.  Long story short: in our conversations he mentioned that he was thinking of giving his 12 year old son a bow, and asked if I sold bows.  I offered to build his son a bow so that he had the opportunity to shoot a traditional bow.  

Had it floor tillered and made several heat adjustment to align and flip the tips, and remove some twist.  Tried to string it too soon and it cracked across the back. I know better, but thought since it was a low poundage bow, I could get away with not letting it rehydrate.

Will start a new bow tomorrow.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1521 on: October 25, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
That is fantastic, Dino!
I sat in my son's box stand last weekend and realized he and I won't be hunting together much longer...
Enjoy these days as long as you can my friend!

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1522 on: October 25, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Great job Dino!

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1523 on: October 25, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Eric all the best with your wife.

Dino that is a true trophy, one to remember always.

Dan bummer about the bow, good luck on the next one.

i have been busy cleaning and working the hide of a doe I got last week. The skin is soaking at the moment and I should hae it de-haird this week end and on a drying rack. Am going to be able to rawhide back some cherry bows next year.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1524 on: October 25, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Eric sorry to hear that. I hope she is doing better.

I jumped 3 deer on my way to the stand. Did not have much time and was rushing. The good news it was only about half way to it. I also rattled in my first buck ever. I have tried and tried in years past and tonight I tickled the ivory and on the second time I heard one come a running. Then it stop behind me out of sight. Then it move off to the south. It was a small 8 I would not have shot it even if he was not behind thick brush just out of range. It was cool none the less. I think I had one more behind me but never saw it. Just heard it.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1525 on: October 26, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Ugh today I was filing nock grooves in my scavenger bow. I filed the first side of one limb, rolled the bow over to do the other side, drew my line, and filed the next groove....the same direction I had done the first one... so I had a groove that went the wrong way!   :banghead:  

My signature is something that I say from experience.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1526 on: October 26, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
That is something I would do.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1527 on: October 27, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
That is something I have done! Feel your pain, psych!

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1528 on: October 27, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Today I proved to my wife that you can, in fact carve a pumpkin with a Dremmel. P.S. It is messy.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1529 on: October 27, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
One on the right looks like DVS:)

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1530 on: October 27, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
We had our last 4H archery practice here at my place today. Set up the targets with those jack-o-lantern trash bags and the kids had a good time. Hit the nose, win a piece of candy.
Then we took them up to where I'd rigged a moving target on a cable and they had a blast.
Been a fun year with the 4H kids, tiring but fun...

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1531 on: October 27, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Lmao Roy. Now im gonna have to figure out how to attach some sort of beard

Paul,

That's awesome. If we can't get kids into the sport we wont have a sport for very long. Programs like that are terrific.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1532 on: October 28, 2012, 05:30:00 AM »
Scott just put some peach fuzz on it like DVS has:)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1533 on: October 28, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
NOW that was cool.

I must admit this was yesterday not today but I was in my tree stand yesterday morning and had another hunter walk under my stand (public hunting). I grunted at him when he got in one of my shooting lanes. He apologized for ruining my hunt but he told me he was coming back in to recover a deer he hit the night before.

I asked if he wanted help he said yes. I also told him I hope the coyotes did not find it first.

Well once out of my tree. He told me he had been using a climber and heck he was in a tree not 60yrds from my stand.

Any way I asked if he thought it was a good hit he said yes. Quartering away and he seen his arrow behind the ribs. No blood where he hit it but no arrow either. Well he goes in where he said she went in the woods and finds a lot of blood.

We follow the the trail in the cedar thicket it is hit and miss with blood. Lots then drops if you are lucky. When we started she was headed east and  we had crows thick to the due south of his stand.

Well after abut 80 yards she turns and heads south east and hits a trail that runs south west and she follow it for about another 40yrds before hitting the ticket. Then about 30yrds still heading south west. Once I hit the edge of the thicket and see the crows about a hundred yards or so off along the creek. I tell him I will be right back. And I walk straight for the birds. And find blood and continue to the birds and find a head hide a couple of legs and some ribs and part of the spine. I walk back and call him over to show him the find.

He sighs and says will the coyotes got to eat. I don't see his arrow but he flips over the hide and there it is not broken and the lumanock still glowing.

He just did not want to push the deer and it was dropping below freezing so he thought he had time. I told him next time call me and only give it an hour or so if he thinks it is a good hit.

But on the way out I did find this.

My reward for being a good neighbor  and helping a fellow hunter I think.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1534 on: October 28, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Kelly that's an awesome story. Bummer it didn't work out for him. I thought we had a bunch of coyotes around here. Sounds like you guys are overrun.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1535 on: October 28, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
We are, but I found out that the area I hunt is not archery and shot gun only for coyotes. I thought it was and that is why I never went to thin them out. That will change this year.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1536 on: October 28, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Cool find Kelly. Bummer that the coyotes found the other hunter's deer.Wishing ya good luck this season ...  :wavey:

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1537 on: October 28, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
That stinks, but 'yotes gotta eat, too. Nice find, Kelly!

Last spring I let an old friend talk me into joining his lease near my home. He lead me onto the property to look around and show me a box stand I could take over. The stand had buzzards roosting and two eggs in it. My friend asked if I wanted to kick the eggs out of the stand, but I said no.  Buzzards need to live too, I told him.

Later this summer I took my son in to see the lease and the eggs had hatched... In case you're wondering, baby buzzards are ugly as hell!

Well, today Logan and I went back in and I cleaned up the stand. The buzzards had left one heck of a mess. I was happy to find it didn't stink as I thought it would but there was lots of dust and down feathers.

Logan and I jumped deer walking in and walking out of the stand area. We found three decent scrapes, a few rubs, and trampled runways that appear to be deer freeways.

I suspected there would be plenty of deer on the lease, now I'm pretty certain.  This deer club has been a part of our game and fish commission's management program for quite awhile and Frank has shown me pics of a few really nice bucks for south Arkansas.

That was this afternoon, earlier, Logan and I sat stands on a small parcel of land a co-worker allows me to hunt. We didn't see any deer but I found several new rubs that hadn't been there earlier, and I also stumbled across a scrape as I slipped through an open corridor among young cypress and water oaks.

This was a great day! Hope everyone else had the same!

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1538 on: October 29, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by red hill:
 In case you're wondering, baby buzzards are ugly as hell!
LOL have you ever seen an adult buzzard up close? We found one on the side of a gravel road one once when I was a kid. I don't know if someone had shot it and left it to die, or it had been hit by a car or what, but it was still alive. My mom tried to get close to it, and it hissed and then puked up some sort of green slimy acidic-looking stuff. It was a good defense mechanism, because we left it alone after that.

It was hands down the ugliest bird I've ever seen.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1539 on: October 29, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
I leave for a few days to hunt and I find you guys making fun of me! I'm shocked.

Roy that pumpkin is way to small to look like me, but he does have my eyes.

Scott, if you need some beard hair, I've got enough to cover the pumpkin and that little babyface of yours. even though I had to shave for a wedding.( that's the last time I'll ever do that)
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©