Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 44106 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1580 on: November 04, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Got a BBO glued up, I used 2 inch pieces of boo for padding the boo this time, really liked how it worked, thanks Eric for the tip.

And put the 5th coat of tung oil on the Yew bow. Might do 1 more coat after this. The video below is after the 4th coat, I don't like a real high gloss on my bows, just a nice glisten. Click the picture for video.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1581 on: November 04, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Wow!!! what a beautiful piece of Yew...
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Monteria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1582 on: November 04, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Yesterday morning I hunted my back stand and came close to sealing the deal on my first trad deer. Then I made a crescent pattern cutter for my band saw.

I had intended to build arrows today, but ordered the wrong ones... So instead, I woke up and got in the stand. Then I made myself a flemish jig, and cut 3 mesquite riser billets. Actually, it will be 6 risers when I get the matching Osage billets milled. Then I twisted up my first string...

The string cabled a little, but I know how to rectify that. And it shoots great.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1583 on: November 04, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
I got my BBH out of the clamps and cut down to size. The glue had not set up completely after a whole night because it was at the minimum temperature, so I tented it and put the micro furnace in with it. That got the temp. up to 200 degrees in a hurry and the glue cured real fast.  :D  Here are some pictures of what I have so far.

As for dimensions, it's 64" long, 1 1/2" wide at the fades tapering to 1/2" at the tips. The hickory is 1/2" thick in the middle and tapers to 3/8" at the tips.
At what point should I glue on the riser and what is the best way to tiller this type of bow?
It's very stiff right now, so there's a lot of weight to lose.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1584 on: November 04, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Glue the riser on now. You should of glued it on before cutting the bow out. Use a rasp to facet the belly and back to take weight off and tiller. Looks nice though.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1585 on: November 04, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Ok, thanks Roy. I'll get some wood ready and make a riser tomorrow
Dave.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1586 on: November 04, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Put the first coat of finish on my bbh tonight.

That yew looks good roybert. Nice job.

Hope Missouri treated you alright kippers. Don't worry too much. Roy is back to bbos and I've got three Selfbows in the works. Sometimes I gotta use a piece of bamboo to fix a bow. Isn't that what its for?. Kinda like fish skins.   :biglaugh:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1587 on: November 04, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Wow you boys got me drooling. Got a good laugh about the world being changed with Roy and David.
 Helped the son do a handle buildup on an osage he is working on. Getting ready for some sturgeon skins on it,,,,,,,,,,,,just to so you boys have somethin to talk about. Fish skins on that yeller wood you boys all like,  :eek:   Stooping to a new level  :laughing:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1588 on: November 04, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
DV Missouri treated me real well got a nice Buck and brought back seven pounds of me that I didn't leave with....  

Keenan???

What U talkin bout Willis!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1589 on: November 04, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
my goodness Roy..you just built a awesome looking Yew bow and now your onto another one..man can I come down and live at your house and learn to build them like you..LOL   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1590 on: November 04, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
PS..Roy is my idol..he should run for prez..that way things will get done...LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1591 on: November 04, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
If he wins, the secret service can take care of his thumpin list for him!  :D  
Dave.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1592 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by wood carver 2:
If he wins, the secret service can take care of his thumpin list for him!   :D  
Dave.
If he can remember where he put it.
   :help:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1593 on: November 05, 2012, 05:24:00 AM »
At the inauguration are they gonna have a fountain full of raspberry beer instead of champagne?     :dunno:
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1594 on: November 05, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Shouldn't you girls be working on bows?   :laughing:

Offline twospots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1595 on: November 05, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Wow, guys. 20 more days and this has gone on a year.
Here is my addition to the post: Today I worked, but Friday I shot an 8pt so Tonight I am cutting and grinding meat. Slicing some for jerkey. Making steaks etc, vaccume sealing and freezing. Yesterday I got home and my wife had cleaned out her Granddads old shop for me to use, so i'll be working down there I guess. 42 and this is sadly my first actual shop... I've just gotten into bow making, but i've carved decoys on the couch in my living room before... I'm kinda feeling like a real guy now - I have my own shop! Just need a fridge stocked with beer and I'll be i  heaven...

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1596 on: November 05, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I'm kinda feeling like a real guy now - I have my own shop! Just need a fridge stocked with beer and I'll be in heaven...

Ya got that right on the beer fridge:)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1597 on: November 05, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Twospots, you're not the only couch carver around. I do small items like strikers for turkey calls while watching tv. I just keep an old shoebox on my knees to catch chips. It beats standing in a cold garage in winter.  :smileystooges:  
Dave.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1598 on: November 05, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I worked on another hackberry bow. I got it shooting and out on some tip overlays. I went with cocabolo again like the bbh.  I put the second coat of finish on the bamboo backed hackberry todayand will probably put on another tonight.  I'm probably going to put some skins on the bamboo to cover up some ugly spots that didn't sand out of the boo. I should have some final pics of it by the weekend. Hopefully I'll finish the hackberry selfbow this week too.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1599 on: November 05, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Ever think "hey I have a bunch of old ratty towels that everyone in the family avoids using at all cost?"

Well fret no longer my friends! All you need to do is tear said towels into strips, like so...

And then hot glue the strips to your rattiest old camo shirt. You end up with a stylish and affordable Ghillie suit like THIS!

Sure it makes me look like a homeless pirate....but wait till the strips get all frayed and stringy and stained up! Then I'll really look like a transient.

In all seriousness, I think that when it darkens up a bit it'll look ok.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©