Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 44140 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1660 on: November 09, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
I believe you Roy only cuz I know your mind couldn't possibly remember it.  

I just finished cutting up my deer and I'm trying to find a babysitter so I can go out tonight one more time before the gun nuts go out.

Hopefully I can get into the shop later today and sand and finish the bbh I'm working on. The skin.s came out alright I guess. I'm not real excited about the way the dye job turned out but oh well it shoots hard right where I'm looking.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1661 on: November 09, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Man the rut is in full swing here. I have seen a lot of big buck running does just today. To bad I am trying to fill my elk tag.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1662 on: November 10, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
I put the handle wrap on a the bbh and another few coats of finish. I need to make a string and wait for some decent light to take some good pics before I show Ya'll what she looks like.

Here is a cell phone pic

"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1663 on: November 10, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Nice DVS..

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1664 on: November 10, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Oh that is nice David. Great color match on the snake.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1665 on: November 10, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I messed around with black and red dyes mixed together and put on seperately until I got something I liked. Kinda an antique look that matches the dye on the limbs. Hopefully I can get the last few coats of finish on it tomorrow. What do you guys do to smooth out the little "tag" ends of the scales on the skin?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1666 on: November 10, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
What do you guys do to smooth out the little "tag" ends of the scales on the skin?  

I put a dab of super glue under each one..   :laughing:

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1667 on: November 10, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
You laugh Roy, but I've done that.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1668 on: November 10, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Oh my, that would take a while.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1669 on: November 10, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Go to the hoby shop and get the thin super glue made for balsa airplanes. Then a lint free rag, then squirt and wipe. Use gloves or you may have a hard time getting the rag off your fingers.  :eek:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1670 on: November 10, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
LOL, ya should have been in my shop the night my buddy super glued his fingers together:) Thought we were going to the hospital, don't know who would have driven cause I was laughing so hard I couldn't even stand up.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1671 on: November 10, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I spent the day helping my son put his first sturgeon skins on an Osage bow he has been working on. This was his first time doing skins. You can see a method I found that works very well with fish skins. On the sander you can see a roll or fiber mesh drywall tape. It is sticky backed and works great for wrapping and holding the skins in place. It also allows air to help the drying and you can see what you are doing while wrapping. I cut the mesh tape lengthwise into thirds. Just start a cut and then run the scissors like you would cut wrapping paper. I usually make them about three feet long. Pictures will help explain the process.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1672 on: November 11, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
awesome!!! where do you get the sturgeon skins from.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1673 on: November 11, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Sturgeon Wayne, Sturgeon.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1674 on: November 11, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Keenan those skins are pretty cool looking, and Dave I guess your handle looks ok Lol.

Today I got back from deer camp. 6 of the 7 deer we killed were bucks!(we have a lot of hunters lol) but my best accomplishment came today when I snuck up on my cousin. Now remember that I was wearing blaze orange and he was supposed to be scanning the woods for deer. He dug through his backpack and I took a couple of steps. He opened his beef jerky, and I took a step. He took a bite and chewed, I took a few steps.

When I got about 6' from him, and I was sure he didn't have his hand on his rifle, I said "I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING. DID YOU?!) Very loudly. He absolutely came out of his skin. It was my finest moment as a hunter... :)
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1675 on: November 11, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
oops sorry Dave-o   :D  
i stand corrected.
Sturgeon skins   :o  .
still super nice.
Would love to get hold of some. Got some Electric skate skin, the other day- i wanna make a bracer out of it. but apparently you need an angle grinder to cut it   ;)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1676 on: November 11, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Nice keenan

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1677 on: November 11, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Trailed blood for my wife this a.m. but no deer. It's gun season here. She took a quick shot at a buck chasing a doe.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1678 on: November 12, 2012, 01:50:00 AM »
No problem wayne!  That's what I'm here for.    :jumper:  

Stan good luck with the search. My wife is rifle hunting this weekend and next weekend too. I always said rifle hunting is for women and children.

I helped Chris hang his deer tonight. Gonna go rabbit hunting in the morning and then cut up Chris' deer.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1679 on: November 12, 2012, 05:37:00 AM »
Nice Keenan. And great idea on the dry wall tape.
I spent last night looking for the key to my bow shop, found it this morning on my way to work, in my work van. DUH...  :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©