Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 44170 times)

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1680 on: November 14, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Had a great weekend, did some bow building with two guys from Germany. They worked hard and did a fine job...

----------
Andy

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1681 on: November 14, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Sweet pics Andy. Looks like a great time.

So far today I put on three coats of finish on the hackberry bow I'm working on. I can't decide if I want to skin it or not. I'm leaning towards skins.

"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1682 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Very nice Andy and Dave. I glued a riser and tip over lays on BBO today.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1683 on: November 14, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
Wow Andy those are sweet!

David that is a great looking profile. I would have a hard time with that choice as well sure is clean looking all natural but I know the quallity of skins you have   :dunno:  

Worked on lumpy bumpy yew againand got the mid and out limbs bending a little better. Shot her another 50 rounds or so. Little closer to weight but still need to drop a few pounds
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1684 on: November 14, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
OMG Dave, you are working on the dining table! I'm single and even I go out to the shop to make that king of mess. Nice looking bow, one vote for skins - copper heads if you have em.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1685 on: November 15, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
No big deal Shaun. Its my kitchen. She complains, she don't eat.   :)  

I spent the day taking care of a sick seven year old and when he was resting I working a black locust stave down to floor tiller andalso an osage stave roughed out. Plus I replenished my hot box with bow blanks on the bandsaw.

"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1686 on: November 15, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
lol Dave some nice work going on for sure.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1687 on: November 16, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
I finished the night chasing some of the thinnest osage rings o have ever chased. I'm going to try for a selfbow, but I may back it with some thick snake skins or rawhide. The future owner doesn't want snake just a plain look so it may be my first rawhide. I've done three rawhide bows but none myself just instructed on them. I'll probably just go for it and hope for the best.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1688 on: November 16, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
Today will be the 12th day in a row of going to work. I hate OT, it's only nice on pay day. Off the weekend and have a BBO to tiller..

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1689 on: November 16, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Started my day by breaking an ash selfbow I had been working on. That was fun.

Then used a rasp and floortillered an osage stave that I chased last night then heated it up on the reflex/deflect caul. I'll ha e to give it one more tweak after the kids go to bed.

Oh and I skinned the hackberry selfie

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1690 on: November 16, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Dang that stinks David, Last time I worked an ash bow it turned out to be a four piece take down exactly like that one.

Glad you recovered and got back on the horse
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1691 on: November 16, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
Man Dave I wish I could crank out bows like you and a few others.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1692 on: November 17, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
Dave you have been cranking em out like crazy. That sucks about the ash though. Looks like a pretty decisive break. Any idea what happened?
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1693 on: November 17, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
That sucks Dave, tell us about the rush when she blew.    :laughing:

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1694 on: November 17, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
I think the ash was too dry. It had been in my hotbox for about two years and was bending pretty good. It had been pulled back to around 16 or 18 and then when I went to string it up first thing yesterday... Whammy!  It broke. I'm not sure why it broke. There are no good indicators at the break spots either on the back or the belly. Oh well. Igot the piece from bjanson a few years ago at mojam so I think it probably had his bad glass mojo on it.  ;)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1695 on: November 17, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I will be skinning an osage bow I am reworking for my hunting partner's daughter. She is 35 and really interested in traditional archery but a complete newbie.

I am going to surprise her with a nice snaky osage bow complete with a nice timber rattler skin halved, one side for each limb.

Here is the skin;

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1696 on: November 17, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Nice looking skin Eric I love it when they have that green camp color.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1697 on: November 17, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Started shaping up the horn tip over lays on a BBO this morning, planned on tillering it today. One tip over lay revealed a 1 inch crack in it, had to sand it off and glue on another.
Nice skin, Eric.

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1698 on: November 17, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I got a little work done on my BBH this afternoon. I cut nocks into it and got a string that's about 1 inch shorter than nock length. Strung it using the step through method. Well, didn't I get stuck in it. The bow is still really stiff and I couldn't get my leg back out and I couldn't get enough leverage to unstring it.   :knothead:  
Next chance I get to work on it, the big rasp comes out to play. I've reduced this bugger and it doesn't seem to lose weight!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1699 on: November 17, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
LMAO Dave:)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©