Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 44207 times)

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1760 on: November 26, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I did a bit more rasping on the belly of my BBH this afternoon. It's still really heavy and it seems I can only reduce weight by 1 pound at a time. I have it on a long bowstring ( 1" shorter than nock to nock length ) at minimum brace height and it's pulling 52# at 12". I think I'll have to use my table top sander to get this bow done before the glaciers return.   :rolleyes:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1761 on: November 26, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Nice pile of wood Roy. That stave you're working on looks like a real interesting one.
Dave.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1762 on: November 26, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
That's a nice piece of wood there Roy!  JUst watch you will be ditching the glue unless you're trying to save one.  

The only reason they drank your "beer" is they were trying to save you from blowing up another bbo!  By the way, the Rockies are a long way from PA.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1763 on: November 26, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Dave in Canada, take a rasp and lower them belly facets along the side about 1/16th of an inch, then round them over on the edge and belly. Tillering wood bows is a slow tedious process. Makes ya thirsty too:) Take some pictures and show us what ya got. What's the width and thickness of the limbs from fades on out?

DVS, yes it is nice, great rings on her, most all the stave's have the same thickness rings. I just gotta coax her into a bow. Once it's reduced closer to bow shape, I'll have to put the heat gun to her to equal out the reflex and get her straighter. The knot hole is going to be in the top limb fade. Might drill it out and use it as a peep sight. LOL

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1764 on: November 26, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I've been gone to deer camp since last Tuesday afternoon. Just got back late yesterday.
Man, you guys move right along, don't you?

Roy, I enjoy all the pics and I don't blame you for playing Barbie with the granddaughter.

DVS, I would imagine that mixing whiskey with wedges would make for some interesting misadventures!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1765 on: November 26, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Roy - That must be some kind of magic fridge that produces beer.  There's more full ones in it than spots for empties in the case.  I gotta get me one of those even if it is only Coors Light.

Good luck with handling that knot hole.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1766 on: November 27, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
If you had a dog named WeGO...you would have all the beer ya want.  My pugs unfortunately are absolutely worthless.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1767 on: November 27, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
Nate, Pugs and raspberry beer, next we will have you playing with Roy's dolls.   :help:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1768 on: November 27, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
OH A 10.....   :laughing:

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1769 on: November 27, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Here are some pics of my BBH. It's 1 1/2" wide at the fades tapering to 1/2" at the tips and 63" ntn. The belly slat is about 3/8" thick 1" out from the fades. It started out 1/2" thick.
When it's strung with the string that's in the picture, the string is tight against the belly.
I removed more wood today and it pulls about 46# at 12".

Dave.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1770 on: November 27, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I tried to save the pix and draw pretty circles on it but it won't let me do it. Anyway it doesn't look bad, except it's bending too much right out of both fades and the rest of the limb is flat. But when you go to a shorter string, that will put more stress on the outer limbs and bend them more. I would get that bow to about a 3 to 4 inch brace height now and see how it looks then. With the reflex it has, the outer limbs will be flat on a long string. Also your handle looks way too thick. I would make it about 1 3/4 thick from back of bow to the belly side of the handle, then I would cut from where the riser meets the limbs to the new top and bottom belly of your handle, that will give you a more gradual taper.  Right now the taper looks way too steep, and that could make the riser pop off the limbs.. You have a gizmo right? Just DO NOT take anymore wood off just outside of the flares at this time! When you go to a 4 inch brace height and string it up, IF those limbs are bending way too much just out of the fades, un string it right away and take off wood in the middle to outer 1/3 of the limbs. Also you want the last 8 inches of the limb tips to be fairly flat, you don't want them bending. See how my riser looks below?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1771 on: November 27, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I had a pleasant phone call about an hour ago. I hit the Osage lottery:) A Buddy is moving to Illinois this Thursday and he has about 25 Osage stave's that he wants to give to me for free.. I pick them up tomorrow night at 4PM.. Life is good!

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1772 on: November 27, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Dont forget Santa is stopping by Thursday Roybert...he will be disguised as a mailman.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1773 on: November 27, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Great and thanks again, Chris. Can't wait to hold her, fondle her, and shoot her:)  But our mailman is a mailgirl, and she is easy on the eyes too:)

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1774 on: November 27, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks Roy. I knew that I'd have to trim down the riser eventually. I tend to build big handles. I'll try and get it on a shorter string tomorrow and see how that goes.
Dave.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1775 on: November 27, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Ok Dave, have you bought a bow stringer yet? You need a stringer with the leather cups on both ends. Like this one below. Don't wanna see ya get your leg stuck again, LMAO.   :laughing:  

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1776 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
I had a stringer all along. I just never used it.  :knothead:  I always thought it was safe to step through.
I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Dave.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1777 on: November 27, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
OMG....... Don't make me come up there and Thump Ya Son.   :banghead:    :laughing:

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1778 on: November 28, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
I have been reworking one of Glenda's old bows for a friend's daughter who has really taken an interest in traditional archery. She shoots wheels now but is the type of person to make the switch.

This bow was hinged by a 6'3" 13 year old that Glenda unfortunately handed the bow to strung. Never pulled past 24" and he jerked it back to about 30" before she could stop him.

I fixed the hinge with my heat gun(got it real toasty), retillered, dropped the poundage and turned the wider tips I made 6 years ago into the skinny little things I put on bows now.

I added some nice timber rattler skins and finished her up, came out really nice.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1779 on: November 28, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Cool rebuild Eric. I have reshaped more than one set of tips myself. Kind of spooky looking at some of them. None have broke................yet....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©