Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 44034 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #2120 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Today I got my osage lams from Kenny. What a terrific guy... Sent me a "damaged" or "flaw" set thrown in with the nice ones he sent me. There is one little area on an edge that would be cut away if needed another try at belly lams for a BBO bow. I am trying to glue on a belly lam to a 60 inch BBO bow I started a while ago and came in way under weight and the tiller is off. I think this has to do with two different sawn slats I was given... I don't really know... Steamed the last six inches of the lams and then clamped them into the fade out area which worked really well. I got them tight and once they spring back a bit I think a little sanding and pressure will havea very nice glue line. Unibond 800 is now available for glue which replaced Urac 185 so I am excited to try that.

Never attempted to "Fix" a mistake bow and for some reason just could not throw it out. There is too much time spent into this thing and I want to challenge myself to solve the problem and have a shorter TTT turkey bow this spring. I'll keep you guys posted.

Next is to make some sort of vice bench. I don't have a vice on my bench in the garage and it's -10 degrees here in New Hampshire... thats just to cold to be outside working wood.

Thats it for bow building today... off to work soon and freeze my arse off.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2121 on: January 23, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
-10's not cold ya big sissy pants...  :campfire:

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2122 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
I got a string on and low braced the elm I'm working on.

I hope the limbs won't flop over.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2123 on: January 23, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
That elm bow looks so cool. It reminds me of a propeller from a vintage biplane.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2124 on: January 23, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Elm looks CRAZY Dave!!
Can't wait to see how it turns out

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2125 on: January 23, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
I like how he quietly mentions his swap bow without any real info on his plans for it.    :thumbsup:

Dave, is that stick as skinny as it looks, or is it just the camera angle looking down the length of it that makes it seem so narrow?

I ordered some real glue for my experimental OBI project. Man, they gouge you for shipping on that stuff!!!
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2126 on: January 23, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
I'm not sure why it looks so thin. It is an inch and a half wide. It isn't anything special just a nice Osage selfbow.    :thumbsup:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2127 on: January 23, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
DVS paint that bow black and white and call it yin and yang. It is going to be awesome though.

Offline Frosty the Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2128 on: January 24, 2013, 02:18:00 AM »
I got to finally shoot the bow I was loaned.

It as I have said is about 64" and 48# @ 28", it is a glass laminated longbow.

I practiced stringing it up and unstringing, simple stuff but newbies have to learn sometime.

Then I went out and used an old cardboard dresser I have had since childhood and set it up as a target in the wifes carport in our driveway. I at the advice of my daughter put the garbage cans behind it to avoid holes in the tarps on the carport, and matching holes in my hide  :scared:  
This proved to be a good idea  :biglaugh:  as my second arrow went a bit high and skimmed the dresser and struck the garbage can shield, no worries it will live.
i put four arrows down range at about 8yrds before calling it quits. It was dark and the freezing drizzle was cold, and besides my driveway is on a main artieral and I figured all the people driving by watching me might not be a good thing. Don't need some doo gooder calling the cops cause some "crazied maniac" is wielding and "assualt bow" and attacking defenseless garbage cans   :laughing:  
By the way, the target I drew on the dresser is fine, I missed hitting it complettly, but I am sure it was scarred  :eek:  

Sorry no pics to share, but it was dark already and I was in a hurry to get done and back inside, to dang much school work, ughhhhh!

hopeing to play more this weekend.
Later

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2129 on: January 24, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
I took a cedar tree that I cut two years ago and finally cut it into lumber.  Looks like it might hold a few veneers for me or whoever wants some.  

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2130 on: January 24, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
I shot my Elm bow today for the first time it shoots pretty well I put tip overlays on it and started finish sanding.

With the big snake I've been thinking about putting snake skins on it what do you think

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2131 on: January 24, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
It would look pretty good skinned Dave
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2132 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Nice tiller, love the tip overlays too:)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2133 on: January 24, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
No comment on my pink shirt your slippin old man

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2134 on: January 24, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Was hopen no one would notice:)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2135 on: January 24, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
Hey DVS... question on your tip overlays... How do you make them so that the bottom part (closer to the back) is rounded like that? I only have been able to make it straight across but like how you do that.

Thanks

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2136 on: January 24, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
Justin,

They get that way by rounding the limbs over a little and then rounding everything into smooth curves. Just try to blend everything together.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2137 on: January 24, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Sweet Dave!!!  but pink ????
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2138 on: January 24, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
Justin,

They get that way by rounding the limbs over a little and then rounding everything into smooth curves. Just try to blend everything together.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2139 on: January 24, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Couple of questions for ya DVS.  What species of elm are you working with, and how does it shoot. I have two elm bows roughed out and ready to start on as soon as I get my trade bow all prettied up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©