Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43481 times)

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #2880 on: April 21, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
I cut a couple old apple trees that were damaged by a heavy snow this winter, figured I had my saw warmed up so I cut a hickory I've had my eye on.

Right in the middle of my ramp patch.

Ramps and bow wood! Only thing that would have made it better is it was that fine yeller wood.

I got one clear 7 footer and 1, 6' log with some knots in it that I hope I can work around.

I ended up getting 8 good staves from the 7 footer and 5 from the 6 ft. I got the 8 debarked but ran out of steam. Going to get the bark off the rest tomorrow evening.

Sealed the ends and have them overhead in my old dog kennel along with 4 black locust and 2 ash staves that I cut a couple weeks ago.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2881 on: April 21, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Celebrated my youngest son's 21st birthday. Damn, I hate gettin' old!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2882 on: April 21, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Ain't for sissies , huh Red?

Don't know how Roy takes it....  :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2883 on: April 22, 2013, 04:33:00 AM »
Had a clean up last week, threw out old off cuts, and odd and ends. Went to grind some tapered lams later ---- no master, spent day and a half looking , no go.Had to buy in another as I didn't want to stuff around making a jig to grind another. Seems I threw the old one out with the rubbish! See what happens once you retire Roy!!!   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2884 on: April 22, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
I put the second coat of tung oil on the St Judes bow, went down to our pond and fed the blue gills, pulled a couple trees out for my sister wif the Kubota, started making another tri lam, and drank beer:)

I'm tuff, Penny..  

Oop's meant Kenny:)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2885 on: April 22, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Cut wood in Illinois this past weekend with Darren "Hackbow" Shue.  Got about 30 bow's worth of yellow gold.  Cut a 14" dia. tree that reminded me why I like 10" dia. trees.  Spent yesterday stumpshooting and touring his family farm, a little sore but rallied well.  

I remember when we were in our 30's and could cut 70+ bow's worth and still be feeling strong.  Both of us are now on the downhill slide to 50 and it takes a little longer lugging trees up muddy hills for a couple hundred yards.  Feel pretty good today.

Darren has the pics and he's been slow to get them to me...hint, hint.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2886 on: April 22, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Today I revealed the advantage of stringsilencers.
After I equipped my wife`s hybrid and my hillstyle with cheap and easy catwhiskers made of a bunch of dacron both are nearly unhearable. The hilly also lost a bit of vibration- but compared with the hybrid it`s still a flamberge compared to a dagger...

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2887 on: April 24, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Picked up a fresh cut 9' walnut log, 9" to 10" diameter. splitting staves in the morning. Neighborhood development guys are cutting trees like crazy, trying to stock up. Hard to watch all the good bow wood just zipping through the shredders...

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2888 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Hawked some wood from the loggers clearing lots today. Got some walnut, cherry, maple, oak and unknown?

It was great, carried around an orange paint can and marked what I thought looked good. Bad news is they'll be clearing the wooded lot behind my house soon but at least some nice looking homes are going in there. Shouldn't be too bad.

Are you guys sealing the backs of your white woods or not?

The black cherry was buggy so back to the woods with that one.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2889 on: April 26, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Put some orders together and built a new TD longbow form, I just wasn't gettin along with the other one....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2890 on: April 27, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Need some confirmation on these woods. The middle looks like maple to me but no idea on the outer two logs. No leaves on the trees yet.

Picked up another large trunk today and quartered it, I think its Ash, its up on the saw horse with one walnut stave.

Pic of the sealed staves. Going to leave them large for a bit to keep twisting to a minimum. Will split again at a later date.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2891 on: April 28, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
looks like hickory to me----hognut maybe?
Mike

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2892 on: April 29, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
Well it's Monday morning and I just sent the wife off to work. I don't gotta work no more:) Retired last Friday, oh darn:)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2893 on: April 29, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
LOL enjoy it Roy and would ya take more pics of your bows in the work... jeez lol. Haven't seen one in quite some time out of ya but I know some are in the works...

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2894 on: April 29, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Roy's been too busy rubbing his retirement in everybody's face to work on any bows. He's prob'ly outta practice now!  :p

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2895 on: April 29, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Your right, Stan. I won't mention it again.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2896 on: April 29, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
Got the day off today, switched with my partner. Went and started to work on my PA swap bow but these shoulders are givin me fits so I decided to load the wife and take a little drive up the coast. Stopped and had a great breakfast (pork Chops and egggs) and headed up Hwy 1...

Drove by Hearst Castle (Patty's Daddy)...  been there a couple of times and I truly don't think there is enough money in the world to build it again....  Fog was holding just off the coast. What a beautiful day   ;)  

Hurst Castle from a distance...

I the pasture they have some mares and some new foals .....

Click the picture for a video

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2897 on: April 29, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
Stopped and had a Mocha then drove a bit further to the Elephant Seal beach...  This time of year it's full of cows and calfs...  it's really cool when the males (Beach Masters) are there fighting for females. I have to say that they smelled really bad with the onshore breeze today    :(  

Click the picture for a video.....

It was a great day spent with my girl    :)  

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2898 on: April 30, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »
Nice day ya had, Kip.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2899 on: April 30, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Worked on my first bee hive.  Gettin' bees on Saturday.  Did a little bit on a bow also.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©