Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43447 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #2940 on: May 25, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Charlie ole boy, don't make me do a road trip down there and thump ya a good one son:)

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2941 on: May 25, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Yesterday, I pulled out some Surewood Doug Fir shafts, 65-70 cut and tapered at 30".  I put on a generous coat of Minwax in the mahogany color.

Then while they were standing in a section of landscape lumber with 23/64 holes cut 1/4 inch to stand them up in...   I grabbed all my arrows, points, fletching jig, and fletching and started fixing some repairs.

I had broken points to remove off of partial shafts...weigh to verify size...sort.  Then had loose fletching or missing fletching on some shafts so pulled them off and put new fletching on.  Then found some really old 2219 shafts, Legacy pattern....so dug through a box and found swaged inserts...glued on some nocks...and fletched a couple of them up.  not sure why as I can only shoot them from my Habu. LOL

Today going to do a couple three coats of wipe on Poly to seal the shafts more...I hope in between cutting hedges, changing oil in motorycle, shooting bow.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2942 on: May 25, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
Two words there ole Roy......"ROAD TRIP"
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2943 on: May 25, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Roy..can I be your grandson.. LOL  :)   looking  good
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2944 on: May 25, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
This morning I finally flipped the tips on an osage selfbow I've been working on. I'll take the clamps off later this evening, or tomorrow morning.  
After heating the tips on the selfbow I worked on my trade bow.
I still have a third bow standing in the corner that I need to finish up but it'll hafta wait.

Offline Dallas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2945 on: May 25, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Glued up a longbow and got it into the hot box.  Nasty yellow wood riser and core with eastern red cedar back and belly.  This is the time I always imagine what I've done wrong or what can go wrong, since Murphy lives in my shop.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2946 on: May 26, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Took the selfbow out of the clamps. I'll have to re-heat the tips.  They didn't retain the shape I wanted.

I got my trade bow floor tillered and even worked on the thrid bow a little.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2947 on: May 26, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Split & peeled a hop hornbeam log into 6 staves that I cut yesterday, also split a piece of hawthorn that I found that was blown over, but stll growing.  It's pretty gnarly looking and only about 4ft. long.  Hopefull I can get two good billets from it to splice.  I think I read somewhere that hawthorn is a good bow wood.  Any one have any experience with it?

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2948 on: May 26, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
ended up doing 5 coats of wipe on poly with light sanding with steel wool in between....

hopefully will be dry enough to fletch up in couple days as I found the minwax and then poly sealer take a few days to completely cure down here in southeast.  Might put on porch tomorrow to let the sun and breeze help in the curing..  :)

I have some natural turkey fletching from Magnus to put on these when done...  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2949 on: May 27, 2013, 04:09:00 AM »

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2950 on: May 27, 2013, 04:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by MoeM:
This morning I got a bow for a swap strung for the first time. Unfortunatly the belly domed a bit which led to lack of a little glue... so I got some airbubbles under the glass. I used my heatbox for the first time and I think the thinner glue can be made resbonsible, next time I`ll have to use thicker pressurestrips.

Maybe some of you have already seen similar configurations... but I really love the cool AND warm look it provides- and tell me combination that hasn`ever been used on Hillstyle^^
Ed.: Shall take the chance thank again guys like John Sweka or especially Dick Wightman for their great BAs, which tought me how do do those beauties!

Edd.: Hell yeah hit the target weight of 50#@28"DPP within +/-0,5#   :goldtooth:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2951 on: May 27, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Today I installed a screen door on the bow shop to keep the fricken bugs out on those warm nights when I'm working on bows.

Then mounted brackets on the wall to get the pile of clamps organized:)

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2952 on: May 27, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Spent a little time tillering bows today after mowing the yard.

My trade bow is looking really nice. I got it to a low brace and the limbs are bending evenly when pulled to 18 inches.

The second bow for my son's buddy is coming around a little better.  One limb doesn't bend as much, but when on the tiller tree the gizmo leaves marks on the weaker limb. Right now it has almost a quarter inch positive tiller. Hopefully it'll even out.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2953 on: May 27, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Roy, if you want, you can come up to my place and organise my mess I mean shop. It looks as though someone took a neat shop, filled it with wood and sawdust and gave it a good hard shake.    :(  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2954 on: May 27, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
Roy, I'm impressed, the door even looks straight, lol.  Really though, nice job.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2955 on: May 27, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Roy, we call that a "storm" door.. a screen door is something different here in Florida..I must have hung at least 200 or more of this type of screen door back in my construction days. Nice job on the door installation   :thumbsup:    

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2956 on: May 27, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
I got ya Robert, ok so I hung a storm/screen door combo today:)

Offline carpin'mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2957 on: May 28, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Finally! Bow finished curing Sunday, but string didnt make it til today. Walnut Burl veneer over Hard Maple with olive green riser and wedges.
It's an 1 1/2" wide and although this one is on a recurve riser, I have put the typical T/D longbow risers on a few others and they seem to handle, point and shoot equally as well.
This is the fifth bow off of this mold and   tillering the last was as difficult as the first. The thin limb and double curve seem to make it a little 'squirrely' out at the limb end.
It's currently a dynamic limb, would a static be a little stiffer?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2958 on: May 28, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
CarpinMark, I had the same problem with this bow..I only made one off of the form.. It is the fastest bow I have made but the limbs are too unstable for me. The stack at center of bow was 0.244 with a 22"riser. the bow came out 65# @ 28" I was hoping for 50#. I am gonna rework the form one of these days  

Offline carpin'mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2959 on: May 28, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
That's a nice looking bow, I bet its fast, even with the forward grip you can see it has a lot of reflex built in.
Looking at your profile and mine I'm wondering if I have too much limb past the wedge tip. If I choked up an inch on both sides it might stiffen things up a bit.
Maybe what I did today was solve a problem.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©