Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43446 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #2960 on: May 29, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
It's amazing how strong a 48 inch HBO bow can be:) And trying to get 15 pounds at 15 or so inches of draw for a 10 year old. But I keep lowering the facets a little at a time, and the more I lower the facets, the rounder the belly is getting. Kids bows seem to be just as tuff making as adult bows:) But I'm loving it:)

Hope Kenny M likes this 15 pounder I'm building him:)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2961 on: May 29, 2013, 02:05:00 AM »
That's cool Roy... Where do you get your hickory backings. Wouldn't mind trying one at some point. I have to get in gear and finish my glass bow to start on another BBO. Gonna try something a little tougher I think this time with the design.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2962 on: May 29, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »
A Buddy of mine makes hickory lams.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2963 on: May 29, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
I just finished a 28@24" hickory from a stave for my daughter. It's the lightest bow I've made. I didn't think I was going to have any limb wood left by the time I got there. I was thinking the same thing Roy, these lighter bows are a different animal. I made the limbs more narrow from the start but going to have to change it a little on the next one. I'm looking forward to seeing yours finished.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2964 on: June 01, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
I am at a bow shoot watching Helen shooting one of the long bows I made her..all the other shooters are shooting Olympic set ups. Several people from the 2012 Olympic teams are here. Khatuna Lorig is shooting next to Helen, she is a shooting machine! Glad she is on our side. I think she has been to 3 Olympics so far. I did slip away for a few hours and get a small cheese pizza and a box of hollow points...then hung out at the Bear Archery Pro Shop with Eric..they didn't have any 59 Kodiak's there

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2965 on: June 01, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Roy, I started out with the unpacked 48 inch kids bows.
For backed bows I seldom even shorten them to 52 inches mostly 60 inch bows even for the 6 to 10 year olds.
Smoother over all and easier to,hit the lower weights.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2966 on: June 02, 2013, 01:12:00 AM »
I cleaned up a riser block and ground my limbs to final width before tapering. I am building a TD longbow with the zebra veneers I won in one of Kenny's give aways. Hope it comes out nice enough to show you guys.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2967 on: June 02, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
Sitting here waiting for Ole trapper rob to show up for another bow making day in the shop:) Nothing like having an old farm boy here, LOL

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2968 on: June 02, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Finally got this snub nose finished- just need to make a string for it now. It finished 50@27"- Osage with a bocote stripe and brown glass.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2969 on: June 02, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
David that is crazy) :)

Offline CardboardDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2970 on: June 02, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
I finished this for a friend -

Offline Trapper Rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2971 on: June 02, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Went to Roy's today took the neighbor boy Roy & Denny has him hooked we all had a good time can't wait till next time.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2972 on: June 03, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Skinned my first snake for bow backing, a 6 1/2' bull snake, but found it had sit too long before I skinned it-it had started decomposing FAST in the Alabama sun.

I don't have a skin to show for my effort, but I DO have a lot better understanding of how to do it.  I can be much better prepared next time.

Also, our local archery store is nuts.  No string material, no nocks, no feathers, only one or two puch type broadheads (no cut on contact, almost all expanding) and such condescension to traditional archery.  Referred to it as "what you do when you can't get enough money to hunt for real."  I've got your hunt for real right here.

I've learned a lot today-and that just makes me want to learn more.

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2973 on: June 04, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Duck, nice knive.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2974 on: June 05, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Today I finished packing up the truck and trailer to head out for the 3 day Pa Longbow Association shoot at Marsh Hill Pa in the morning. Only been packing for two days now:) 6 bows, 60 arrows, and a ton of other necessity's. See ya all Monday...

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2975 on: June 05, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Working on a powder horn for someone, and picked up a bunch of arrow shafts to start working on.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2976 on: June 06, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Continued working on a bow for my sister.  58" TD recurve.  Pink actionwood limbs with black glass belly (she wanted the pink on the back), and a grey actionwood/pink accents riser.  Got one limb glued up and cleaned up already, just put the other one in an hour ago.  Should be pretty nice when she's done.  The deer won't know what hit 'em!  Oh, wait, yes they will!  It's that bright pink branch up in the tree!!!
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2977 on: June 06, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
half seminole i know just the store you are talking about.... and yeah you nailed it. went there last time i was there to help my sister pick out a recurve.... not so much. had to go to cabelas and that was a joke too. no feathers..... 4 bows... all pse coyotes.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2978 on: June 07, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
ordered 12 ash shafts and some full size fletching to make some spiral flu-flus.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2979 on: June 08, 2013, 03:53:00 AM »
Just had a phone call from Kevin in Alaska earlier.  I've got some stone points heading my way  :)   Can't wait to try them out.  Need to find some fine sand for practicing, though.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©