Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43124 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
This is what i've had on my bench the last few nights or so. A little skinner. The blade I did not forge, I got that at woodcraft on sale. The scales are made from some Tamboti I kept, that I used on the first bow I made. Now on the bench are the materials and tools for a sheath. My first experiment with both scales and leather work. Most certainly will NOT be the last. Now this thing needs to get bloodied up.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
That is a beauty Fish!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
I guess it's ok... :)

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Was just commentin' on my fishability, Roy! Can't catch big fish, so I go for little fellas!  :bigsmyl:  
Nice knife, fish. There's a couple of talented folks on this here site.

Online Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
Today, I got 4 bows sanded down and the first coats of finish applied, made 4 Strings, answered a bunch of e-mails, ordered a bunch of fiberglass, ordered some bubinga.  Made an adapter plate to mount saddle bags to my stepson's motorcycle, washed dishes, made dinner, had a few drinks and now I'm relaxin'.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
hey fish, beauty of a knife.
say where did you get the tambotie from- and i geuss you know already, that it is highly toxic- it has killed people before when ingested( so dont chew on yer knife)- even the smoke will make you pretty sick, headachey and billious.- makes an awesome fire and you can cook on it just no smoke- dunno if i would take the risk though!!
wayne

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
Well, This won't be as full as Mikes day(that was busy), but I,
went hunting,answered emails,talked on the phone too long, Shaped, balanced and trapped two longbows,cleaned up the mess,went hunting,came home to a BIG pizza AND 2 gigglin' 8year old girls. So, Back to the shop after pizza, heat tweaked a nice osage bow/blank that I put together a few weeks back from a nice pair of 5yr old billets, Chased a ring on a 15 year old piece of hickory(don't ever do that) and then just to get my mind right,I split and chased the rings on a pair of TWENTY FIVE YEAR OLD OSAGE billets.
What a joy that was. Slept like a baby.
I guess that was kinda busy,
Gotta get back at it now, osage is calling.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
I spent this day fishing....caught some pretty decent fish and my buddy broke in his new rod.

It apparently works fine.  While down in the river I found some nice straight osier (I think) that I will go back and cut...havent made THOSE kind of arrows yet.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
That was nice of your buddy to let you hold his fish like that kate!

Last night i put two coats of finish on a bow and chased some rings on osage.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Nope that IS my buddy Kris...I didnt catch any that big.  Most between 17 and 20.  That one was 22 inches.  He busted off a couple that were bigger.  I need to get down there again and this time bring a knife.  LOTS of straight red osier.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Worked, just got home to find I had the key to the drawer, so i went back to work, then back home.

Now gonna finish a bamboo backed hickory for a customer, and take pics for all you guys to check out in a few days. Meanwhile I will drink as many beers as my bladder will allow. Although that'll keep all the power tools in the off position for the night. Bring on the drawknife, and the wood files!!!!

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
hey fish, beauty of a knife.
say where did you get the tambotie from- and i geuss you know already, that it is highly toxic- it has killed people before when ingested( so dont chew on yer knife)- even the smoke will make you pretty sick, headachey and billious.- makes an awesome fire and you can cook on it just no smoke- dunno if i would take the risk though!!
wayne
Thanks for the head's up Fujimo! I actually DIDN'T know it was that toxic. It makes sense tho, considering the saw-dust smelled like chocolate! We all know nothing good is ever good for you, right? I picked up the 2" X 2" X 12" turning piece of stock from Woodcraft. If memory serves me, I want to say it eas less than $10. It must've been less than 10 cause back then I was unemployed, and would have to do what i could with what I had.

Today on the bench are the materials for the sheath. It's been cut, shaped, and punched, but I need to stain it, assemble it, seal it, then use it! Unfortunately i can't do that til after I finish the christmas lights outside. Is it just me, or does anyone else like christmas lights... when they're on someone ELSE'S house!?

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
I'm working on an osage bow for my brother-in-law from his wife (my sister). It was going to be a bendy handle selfbow but I have to rawhide back it due to some cracks.

I did some heat bending on the lower limb today so that it would match the upper one better. So now it has some reflex on both limbs. I got the handle centered the other day.

The rawhide is processed and I plan to apply it tomorrow.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Today I put tip overlays on a HBO. Shaped the tips and finished up the sanding over the whole bow. I've put one coat of tru oil on and letting it dry for awhile.  
Early this morning I glued up another HBO, clamped it up with some Perry reflex and now its in the laundry room curing.  After putting the tru oil on MY bow, I then cut a different HBO to profile.  (I'm making a couple of bows for Christmas presents. Hope I'm not running out of time!)
So, I have one bow waiting on a couple more coats of finish and a handle wrap, another bow waiting to be scraped down and tillered, and an third bow waiting for it's profile to be drawn and cut out.
So far this fall, along with trying to catch up with a whitetail, or two, I've finished almost four HBO bows.  The first three were for other folks. The one hanging from the ceiling waiting on tru oil is for myself.
  :D

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
i tillerd this snakey humpy dippy stave from timo it s goin out as a x mas present just gotta shoot it in sand it down and get the snakes on finnly aftr a year and a half of workin 7x12s  im on 40 hr weeks for next 4 mo so i get my bow makin time back brock ps ill try to post some pics of this one i hate to let it go
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline burnt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I just epoxyed brass sleeves on two osage billets for a takedown selfbow.
"TGMM Family Of The Bow"

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Have you used those skins yet brock. I put some on a hickory bow thats almost done and they look awesome. They look muck better on a bow instead of rolled up.

Burnt, i still have to order a sleeve. A takedown is on my short list of things to do.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Today, I answered a bunch of e-mails explaining why I couldn't get bows done in time for Christmas if they ordered them today, did a load of laundry, took 4 bows outta the forms, glued up 2 more, shaped the limb profile on 3 longbows and a recurve, cut nocks and check wieghts, put tip overlays on 3 longbows, grip overlays on one longbow, fixed my busted 12" disc sander, went to parent/teacher conference for my daughter, wife's making diner, and after I eat I got prayer Meeting at church.  When I get home I'll have a few drinks and relax.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
This morning I took the wife to the airport and sent her south on  a jet plane. She is going to Louisiana to visit her son and family. Came home, hit the bow shop and beer and hain't this single for 5 days a trip? :)   Just me and the ole bird dog....LOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©