Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43178 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
I wouldnt turn your back on that ol' bird dog neither................I seen the pic's.....

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I went to work, came home, split wood for the stove, split wood for bows, then chased rings for some billits i traded, then chased down three staves. I figured i'd work my arms out in case Roy ever makes it this way.    :deadhorse:

I almost forgot pictures.

"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
This afternoon I made a tiller tree that could be taken to my classroom. Put a pulley on the bottom, a yard stick along the length from the handle cradle down, and cut a bracket to use for clamping to the edge of a lab table.  We're getting close to tillering our two project bows!

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »

I have a couple of knives in process and while mom is off at work and my baby boy is with me I'll be filing away. Working on a handle at some point. All while this twig sits staring at me. 1" at it's widest and currently 38lbs @28" draw 62" with a 4" handle. We will see if it gets scraped on today.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Damn Goose... That file work is NICE.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I mailed out skin scraps to chips n dip, took a locust stave to a clean back and sealed it, broke an elm shorty recurve I had 20 hours into. It was a crap stave from the get, but I wanted to see if maybe just maybe it would shoot. Nope, broke right where the stave said it would from the start. Other than that, not much.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I layed out a short bendy handle osage bow today.  I'm trying to make a  Pearl Drums Model 12 bow.  I brought some B-50 to work tonight.  I might try to twist up a string at lunch.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Today I watched as my students shaped the handles of our two project bows to profile. We're ready to begin thinning the limbs and put on the long string soon.
In the morning I'll work on the two Christmas bows I have to get out pretty soon. Sunday I think I'll take to the woods and try for a whitetail.

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Finishing up a few Christmas gifts today  
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Used the heat gun to make a camo arrow.

Took a BBO from the bench.

To the tree.

Have it to a 4 inch brace height. Bottom limb to the left is a tad stiff. Worked it out and now have a 1/8th positive tiller. Needs to lose about 10 pounds yet, but that is always a good thing:)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Dang Roy. Is that a shock top raspberry beer on the bench?
Studying for The bar exam looked better to me.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
That's an old bottle I keep there to make soopernate happy:)

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
I got another of my shorter staves chased layed out roughed out and put the first round of heat on it. That makes six bows ready to floor tiller. One hackberry which will be backed andthe rest osage. I have working on these pretty hard the last week.
  My arms and lats are ready. Now all I need to do is figure out which one to get scrapin on 1st.

"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
This is what i started with this mornin

And this is what i ended with. The first pic here is the tigerwood/zebrawood handle glue up

the next is a 56" piece of osage with slight d/r

"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
That's an old bottle I keep there to make soopernate happy:)
:saywhat:
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I ended up about 90% done on one of the prettiest bows I have ever built! It's a one-of-a-kind too because I HATE working with Bocote  :D

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Nice lookin' bows, Jason!

Let's see. Today I tillered a HBO down to 18" @ 45#. Still got 12" to go. Gave that one a rest and cut the next HBO to profile with a hand saw. Rasped to the profile lines and reduced the limbs to about 1/2" thickness. Roughed in some string nocks and touched it up a bit. Tomorrow that one will be floor tillered and hopefully join the first in the tillering process.  These two are Christmas presents for a friend to give her husband and son.
I made two flemish twist strings, cleaned out my cubby-hole of a utility room to move inside for working on these bows at night, put emty boxes and Christmas decoration boxes into the attic, hung Christmas lights along the front of the house and porch, and spent a little time shooting my bow.  
Man! I'm gonna sleep good tonight.
  :archer:

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Without a doubt.

That bacote looks great

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Been working on a cigar box guitar for a friend.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Picked up some Tamboti that's going to be the riser for a 3 piece i'm going to try for my 5 year old nephew. Then I wasted the rest of the day at IKEA with the Mrs.

WASTED.

I did get some road kill from mid-state. Thanks for the mail PD. I will be sure to share the results. Any recommendations on how I can flatten/smoothen/thin up the skins a bit? Do I just sand em down? Thanks again CK.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©