Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43482 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #620 on: February 27, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
wow , the gemsbok looks awesome- what glue do you use.
what do you guys pay for gemsbok horns- and do you use both sexes-the female horns are usually thinner in diameter.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #621 on: February 27, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
Wayne, we used urac for both.  It took a quarter of az pint can for the two bows.  We wrapped them with clear plastic wrap instead of clamps and then put about 2in. of reflex in by adding weight in the middle with them sitting on the chairs.  I got two horns for something like 20 bucks.  I'm not sure of the sex though.  These were like 1.25in. in diameter I think.  I heated it flat with the heat gun.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #622 on: February 27, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
you also glue the horn on with urac?
sounds like female horns- no real difference- just that if the females will work- they are a whole bunch easier to get hold of.
20$ seems very reasonable!!!- looks awesome so far Dave!!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #623 on: February 27, 2012, 01:43:00 AM »
yep, urac for the horn as well. I should have it all cleaned up and shooting tomorrow morning.  I will have more pics then.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline bbs383ci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #624 on: February 27, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Dustin,

When you make your plywood template, bend a pc of .050 glass or a good metal yardstick around the curves if you have any. This will show bumps and flats that you(I anyway) can't see or feel.

They will show up in a bow limb tho.... Not tellin how I know this......

Thanks kenny will do that once i get the template ut out and sanded down to the line.  :thumbsup:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #625 on: February 27, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
This morning I ran electric to my work bench, I got tired of tripping over ac cords plugged into the wall. Spill more beer that way:) Put an outlet on each end of the bench, and they even work.. Was a dusty job as I saw cut a 5/8th wide trench in the concrete floor to bury the ac wire. Had both windows and the door open to vent the shop. Then I heated an Osage selfbow and have it clamped now to get some limb twist out of it. Then I came in to feed the dog and checked my e-mail while he was wolfing it down. Guess what my buddy in Ohio cut for me today? Hot damn:)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #626 on: February 27, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Hate to bust your bubble roy, but that log looks to have pointers disease where the rings form points like that.  Probably better for firewood.  At least you solved the beer issue, or was that a power issue? Either way problem solved.

I worked on my bbo handle today and also cleaned up a hbj I just started.   I already popped off the handle on it.  :knothead:    Not a big deal, its easy to fix.  Here is where I'm at with the horn handle.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #627 on: February 27, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Made a few scrapers and finished up a knife for my dad. Hopefully here in 3 weeks it will be skinning a leopard.

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #628 on: February 27, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
goose what did you make the scrapers out of.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #629 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by KellyG:
goose what did you make the scrapers out of.
hey Kelly for your info i just made a new scraper out of an old circular saw blade that i had laying around. its probly 7in x 1 1/4in wide. squared up the edges on my belt sander and it works great. its a 1/16 in thick and dosnt daul quickly like the thinner scrapers i have. happy scraping  :wavey:
Kevin Day

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #630 on: February 27, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Made the scrapers out of used bandsaw blades from a palate dismantling business.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #631 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
I unclamped my trade bow this afternoon and found a disaster! Terrible glue lines. Had to seperate and clean up both pieces for another go later. Crap!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #632 on: February 27, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Worked on my Osage stave..

I am just a beginner.... again....lol

I think I've lost everything I thought I knew about cutting away the excess wood from a bow.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #633 on: February 27, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I had a busy afternoon. I reduced my snakey Osage to a kid bow due to knots and bugs and severe twisted grain and rings. It is 46" long, and 10# at 20", , no room left to shorten it more, but alas, I need to Sinue a HHB for me, so this will get the tips fliped and I can practice sinue on it before the normal bow gets sinue. All fun and practice.
 Next I added some reflex in a couple Maple kid bows I made, then got busy and made a cul for adding reflex.  I will test it tonight on a 65" HHB that is slated for a sinue backing. The Malpe kid bows have the Poly on them  and are finished, other than Kid color strings to be made. Pink/Purple for 1 and Orange/Green for the other.

I also spent an hout or 2 on the HHB for my swap. It is going quite good for me this time.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #634 on: February 27, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
thanks to you both for the info on the scrapers.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #635 on: February 28, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Currently learning that a cherry wood riser is down right easy to work compared to the Ipe that the rest of the bow is made of lol.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #636 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Today I learned tru oil may chase out some stain on your white wood bows    :mad:   Should have just hit it with poly instead of trying to make it have depth with tru oil. Always learning something new. Letting it dry today, sanding a few white spots & touching up with stain tomorrow. Then straight to poly finish.......

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #637 on: February 28, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
my 3 1/2 year old helped me put the finishing touches on my fades...time to start tillering.  

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #638 on: February 28, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Sport, That sucks.  I havent had a problem with dyes maybe just stain?  Maybe I was just lucky.

Looks pretty good scott.  Put some shoes on that kid, or did he lose em?    :laughing:

I tweaked some arrows for my trade bow today.  550 total arrow weight with 300 up front and around 25% foc.  ready for turkey!  You comin Kenny?

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #639 on: February 28, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Lol, yes DVS. I may come check your driveway. Really he just came down to get me to put batteries in his leapster, but then its hard to resist a "hey, can I help?" From the little guy.

And 550 with 300 up front? Those sound like carbon numbers? I thought your bows only shoot wood?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©