Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43516 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #680 on: March 03, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Yea I'll be heading to the mine for a nine hour shift, Arggggggg !!!

you have fun   :(
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #681 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
(Sigh)I guess I better get to work on my bow as well.  ;)  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #682 on: March 03, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I'm waiting for my daughter to nap then I'm heading out too.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #683 on: March 03, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Just found a 14" jet band saw. went down to daves and we broke our "bandsaw fund"(an empty whiskey bottle). Looks like we are gettin a sweet new addition to our shop!
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #684 on: March 03, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Awesome Chris! Now (name omitted to protect the innocent) wont gripe so much next time we all get together to build bows!
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #685 on: March 03, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Cleanin the shop.....  :scared:    :banghead:    :eek:    :dunno:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #686 on: March 03, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Yes he will.  ;)   Just about something else.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #687 on: March 03, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Just put my HBI on the tiller tree for the first time....its rreeeeeaaaaalllyyy stiff as of yet lol. Time to scrape.

Offline bbs383ci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #688 on: March 03, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Just got through with the hotbox and Ct a stave to the length I want it gonna  give a couple weeks to set before I put it in the hotbox got the hotbox set to where it holds 100 degrees and hopefully in a month or two the stave will be ready cant wait.

Wife says I'm crazy and wonders why I have to have so many bows.  She don't know its like.crack building your own bow, even though I have only one under my belt.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #689 on: March 03, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Well today is slow day with line of heavy rain and thunderstorms moving through southeast.  Friend called and asked me to help lift his steel bumper with a 12k lb winch installed onto front frame rails of his 80 series Land Cruiser....

Now I am going through all my arrow boxes and sorting....found a dozen 2219 legacy's so glued on nocks and now fletching with my new Arizona EZ Fletch to give it a workout...so far ME LIKEY.  

Took two bundles of doug fir and identified them as 65-70 spines...so marked and put back in box for now.  Found two test arrows...one at 53# and one at 47# so going to stain with some dark stain and sealer by MinWax I have to see if I do them with it if I can get fletching to stick still.  If not will do a couple cap wraps and try again.

Turkey season starts on 15 March so need to get these fletched and then mount and sharpen my 160gr Snuffers.  Used my John Strunk Vine Maple selfbow last year with cedar arrows...not decided whether to use it again or pull down the Habu or Robertson and use these Legacy arrows I am fletching up and the Snuffers.  Might be game day decision if they all fly good equally.   :)  

Now to start practicing again with diaphragm and my glass call a buddy made for me last year.  This was when it was new...not as pristine now....it is glass and the broadhead is embedded in bottom flush.  The glass he just taped off and roughed up part of it to leave the other part clear for looks only...I can sand that side too if I want.

http://www.springallurecustomcalls.com/
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #690 on: March 03, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Did the final sanding on another BBO and glued a hickory backing on an Osage slat.

Offline bbs383ci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #691 on: March 03, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Just got through with the hotbox and Ct a stave to the length I want it gonna  give a couple weeks to set before I put it in the hotbox got the hotbox set to where it holds 100 degrees and hopefully in a month or two the stave will be ready cant wait.

Wife says I'm crazy and wonders why I have to have so many bows.  She don't know its like.crack building your own bow, even though I have only one under my belt.

Offline bbs383ci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #692 on: March 03, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Oops sorry don't know why that just posted again lol

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #693 on: March 03, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Made a 5 gallon bucket of slury from mushy osage fruit. Tilled up a twenty yard row with a spade shovel and mixed in the slury. Giving back after cutting it down for almost 20 years.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #694 on: March 03, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Joe, I planted a few osage pods last fall. Hope they come up!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #695 on: March 03, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Hey Joe ya have the coordinates on that Osage plot ? :)

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #696 on: March 03, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
This is where my lack of all the years of experience that you guys have is an advantage. By the time its big enough to be turned into a bow, ill be the same age and hopefully just as experienced as some of you guys are right now. Then I can drive to Ohio and look for the 20 yard hedge row...

(Evil laugh) yes, my plan is coming together perfectly. (Rub hands together in anticipation.)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #697 on: March 03, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I learned what kind of flint to look for and made a few flakes. Learn what kind of stone to look for in my area that makes a good hammer stone. Not to let the flakes fly.

I now have two buckets full of flint about a half dozen hammer stones. Boy I am going to look funny at work next week banging rocks together in the parking lot.

:)

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #698 on: March 03, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Went to a 3d shoot, picked up a HHB stave and a few nice knapped points.  Oh, and I shot better than the last time 3ding, so a successful day in all.
I got the stave and points from twistedlimbs over on PA.  Great dude, had some nice bows there.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #699 on: March 03, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Chris and I picked up a nice bandsaw.  14in. blue jet with 1hp.  we spent the rest of the night tuning and cleaning it up. Then we got to cutting.  Fours years of hand tools makes you appreciate power tools.  ;)   It ook us this long to scrimp and save the money.  Wonder what we save for next.

Chris adjusting a bit.

A fresh sticker on an old tool.

Here is Lucile.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©