Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43515 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #700 on: March 03, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Did the final sanding on another BBO and glued a hickory backing on an Osage slat.
Awesome pics Roy!  :thumbsup:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline jtbluefeather871

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #701 on: March 04, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Nice saw DVS!  Should save a little time.  Today dad and I glued up a BBB for him and a BBI for me. Tillering tomorrow. First time using Urac, too. I had a bit leftover and put it in the fridge. How long will it keep like that?
I learned "Semper Fi" as a Marine, and have lived it every day since.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #702 on: March 04, 2012, 06:58:00 AM »
David, don't make me come out there son:) Nice saw by the way... Got me  a snake skin yesterday too:)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #703 on: March 04, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
:scared:  Roy & Scott,,, Keep out of my osage!

"Bluecile" is a nice saw but, you'll return to hand tools I bet!    :saywhat:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #704 on: March 04, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Looks like it might be tuff getting that one to lie still on the limbs Roy.

Joe, I wouldn't be surprised if I do.  At the very least, I will still do all the fine work with hand tools.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #705 on: March 04, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
Lol dave beat me to it, but I think that skin is a bit thick as of yet to use on a bow. And you say you don't know about us boys from Missouri! Sheesh!
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #706 on: March 04, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Betcha five bucks that snakeskin is nowhere to be found the next time you go lookin for it roy. you better    keep those ones in the house!
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #707 on: March 04, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Hey Roy, is that'n yours, or did ya just borrow it for the pic?

Mike
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #708 on: March 04, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
Kelly, if anyone comments on your parking lot stone chipping, just tell them the army's low on ammo and you're trying to help out.
BTW, if the general gets a flat from those chips, he'll demote you!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #709 on: March 04, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Tomahawk missiles, apache longbow helicopters...I think it fits with the overall native american theme.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #710 on: March 04, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Wood I hope no one gets a flat.

Today I took my daughter and dogs out to see what we could find.

I and found 2 jaw bone from cow size critters that had turned brown. I lost the biggest one thought. I also found about 8 dog wood shoots that I cut for arrows. We seen a total of 9 deer but no turkey.

Now to get to chipping on some stone. I also need to heat up my trad bow and get the tips aligned.

that is a really nice saw.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #711 on: March 04, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
I just borrowed the snake for the picture.

Shot the new BBO today, short draw-ed it till I got her all the way back. Started at 20 inches and worked her back to 27.5.

Cool pix below, just released the arrow. Check out that perfect form after release:)

This bow is for a guy with a 29 inch draw, so my long arm Buddy shot the heck out it for about a 100 shots. This bow is 53# at 29 and it smokes arrows and is sooo very quiet.

Video link below.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #712 on: March 04, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Bow looks great! And that is a unique pic. Especially since the moving parts arent all blurry.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #713 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Nice looking bow Roy!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #714 on: March 04, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Roy if it is a quite as the one you sent me then the deer will never hear the shot for sure.

I made some flakes. I was able to turn a couple of slabs of flint in to cores. I will get some pic up later. I got one really long flake too about 2.5" long.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #715 on: March 04, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
SaWeeeeT Roy!!! Looks like a screamer  :)

I finished up the little belly split. I thought it deserved a little special something and I've been saving this piece of Beaver Tail so I used it for the grip and side plate. I took it to the range this morning and got my rest location. This is the best shooter for me to date. Who would have thought that???

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #717 on: March 04, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Bows look very very nice roy and kip.  Can't wait to get into some of that osage.

Went and helped a friend split a couple of osage branches - were pretty small and snakey but we split them anyway - he wants to make his own bow so it is a start.

Ended up shooting for a couple of hours on his 3-d range with his 2 boys - good time.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #718 on: March 04, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Kip that is a sweet bow.

Ok not much to show but here are the flint cores I made and one long flake.

the long one is the flake. If you strike any of them little points just right you should get a triangle piece that starts from the top to the bottom

Bottom view.

and side view. Notice the lines that run from top to bottom. That means I did it right I think.

It only took me about 8 rocks to get them two. The  flakes that come off these could be used on an arrow in a pinch, or as scrapers and knives. They would be small of these but I hope to get better and get some more longer ones like the one on the right.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #719 on: March 04, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
thats cool kelly- i have always wanted to try some knapping. too many projects right now.
got my tips glued onto my trade bow, heated and aligned the tips. prepped the lingcod skins for a layup tomorrow- maybe.
scouted a new area for deer- heaps and heaps of sign- real close too- our season opens 1 june- so gotta get ready.tidied shop a bit- lined my hotbox with silver bubble wrap/insulation.
 learnt that, that stuff will transmit current(duh!!) couldnt work out why my system was throwing the safety switch on my plug bar avery time i turned it on- gotta fix that tomorrow.
gotta start my first glass bow soon!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©