Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43623 times)

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #860 on: March 26, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Kip, another very nice bow. What's your secret for keeping the set so minimal? Heat treating?

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #861 on: March 26, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
This one had a bit of natural reflex and I added the sweep with heat. But it's not heat treated. I have to say that so far of all the bow woods I've used Osage is the most forgiving when it comes to set for me (I do heat treat whitewoods). I do try to exercise the limbs every time I remove wood and I try to stay well under the end weight through out the tillering (first one that told me this PatB). I do allot of floor tillering before I ever put a string on the bow (watched YouTube videos of Ed Scott, he dang near builds a bow on the floor). This bow was with in twelve pounds of my target weight 54@27 (ended after finish, shooting in and sanding 50@27)on the floor before it ever had a string on it. I also do quite a bit of tillering from my vise belly side up just using a scrap of wood. It’s really great for fine tuning. (First saw this done by Chris / Pearl Drums) Just stuff I've been shown and taught here by the Guru's.... It's only been the last five or six bow that have come together without allot of set...

Ahhhhhh just lucky...  I have to be I've still only build a dozen or so and I got a few in the rack with plenty of set        :bigsmyl:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #862 on: March 26, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
really cool kip, sure like that big ole knot!!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #863 on: March 28, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Nice looking bow there Kip.  Osage is the best imo.

I applied some finishe to a bow I'm working on, nothing done yet, but two spray coats until its shot in.  

Its a bamboo backed osage with cocobolo and tigerwood accents.  The osage was a stave that never made it as a selfbow.  It was pretty nastry so I beat it to submission with a ferriers rasp.

I'll have better pics when I get it finished.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #864 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Sweet looking bow David.

Offline bbs383ci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #865 on: March 29, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
well i got my template for my form cut down and smoothed out, wont be able to do anything else to it till maybe sunday before church or after.

Offline mississippidave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #866 on: March 29, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
man i was busy yesterday...I completed the final shoot in, last tillering tweaks, and sweat of the little osage selfbow backed with deer rawhide.  Shoots like a dream 50@26 64".  I also worked just a little on an osage takedown for my spring bear hunt, chased a ring and roughed in a fire killed sassafras stave I had laying around (looks like trouble) and fletched 6 cedar arrows with natural turkey feathers Whew....I'm tired all over again just typing!

I'll post pics of these projects when I have a few more minutes!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #867 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
I like the grip DV. You might have to shoot that one bare... Way to nice to cover up  :)   Sweet
bow!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #868 on: March 29, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Great looking bows Kip and DV. I went out to trim some limbs around treestands and look for sheds but didnt find any. I did find a couple of hickory saplings while I was out that I just couldnt pass up. You gotta love saplings, all you need is a limb saw and you can carry em out of the woods in one hand.

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #869 on: March 29, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Okie that is too cool!  Never thought about debarking BEFORE cutting down.  I got a nice haul of cedar elm yesterday, 4 logs, one is about 8" diameter and very straight and clean.  Can't wait to work on those.  That hickory looks sweet!
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #870 on: March 29, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Jamey those sappling bows can look very cool. I need to try one someday.

Any sheds?????

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #871 on: March 29, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Kevin, I cut some elm about a week ago and all I can say is I hope yours splits easier than mine did, it was a beast.

No sheds Kip, I never have much luck huntin sheds, its mostly just an excuse to get out in the woods. I'll keep my eyes open for a good sapling for ya next time i'm out.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #872 on: March 29, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Worked some more on my BBO this week... Started to tiller with the long string and just added tip overlays of coco... Got one tip roughed out and the other is being glued up. I am pleased for my frist shot at this type of tip

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #873 on: March 29, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Justin, your not using a super long string are ya?

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #874 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
I passed on a very pretty black rat snake morel hunting. It was a big one too at least 6'. I just could not bring myself to just kill him just for his skin.
But man I have never seen one that had a reddish hue under the back like him. It was not a total lost 75 morels found their way into my bag. There is some hedge in the area I just need to find it dead so I can cut it.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #875 on: March 29, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Took that bow to its new owner to be properly shot in at 29in.  I can't pull that far with my stubby arms.  Almost finished tillering a hbj.  Not much better then seeing someones face when they get to shoot that first aerow from a new bow.  Thanks for the compliments too.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #876 on: March 30, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
I received a new DVS bow last night and have been shooting it. I can’t put in words how well the bow shoots. I normally shoot a 650 gr. Arrow so I grabbed one and let her fly. I was surprise that little bow sent that arrow down range to the target as quick as any bow I have. The bow itself is fun to shoot with no hand shock and light in the hand. Its a Bamboo backed Osage with Cocobolo, Tiger wood accents and a  Gemsbuck
overlay. I’ll have some pictures on here soon.          

:bigsmyl:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #877 on: March 30, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by okie64:
Kevin, I cut some elm about a week ago and all I can say is I hope yours splits easier than mine did, it was a beast.
You nailed it. Started to split it today and didn't even get the first split going (even after cutting a kerf with circle saw) before a piece of the cheap chinese sledge i borrowed from a neighbor (mine's in between handles   :rolleyes:   ) chipped off and i decided I didn't wanna have to buy him a new one!  That's some tough stuff!
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #878 on: March 30, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Made my grandsons first selfbow out of osage today.  I made it from a belly slice off of one of my other osage bows I have in the works. He's only 16 months old but hey.. ya gotta start them young!

Amazing how strong osage is! Its 34" long and it took a lot of scraping to get it bending. Its only about 3/4" at the fades.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #879 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
Gave into the bow buying bug & bought a used Hill Tembo with Hill quiver & misc gear. The wait begins......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©