3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can someone please explain to me how people shoot 185 fps  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Can someone please explain to me how people shoot 185 fps
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
I spent some time yesterday in front of a chronograph with two different bows.  Both bows are 44.5 lb at 28"  62" bows and both are 47.5 lb at my 29.5" draw.  I know because I put them on a bow scale just after shooting through the chronograph.  I shot three different arrows the lightest being 432 grains.  Bow one is mine a Black Widow PSA the second is a metal riser bow with ILF carbon and foam limbs, very high dollar.  Same 14 strand D97 stings with one set of cat whiskers and a brass nock.  My black widow averaged 177 fps and the other bow averaged 180 fps with the 432 grain arrow.

I achieved what I thought I would get with the black widow, but I was surprised with bow two I figured it would be faster.

I see posts on here all the time with people shooting 50lb bows at 28" and shooting 500 grain arrows 185 fps or faster.  So how do you do it.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can someone please explain to me how people shoot 185 fps
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
I think 177 with a 44 pound bow is pretty good. My widow PSAV is 51 at 28 and it shoots a 525 arrow in the 180's.

I have a black swan impala that screams, same arrow just over 200. the impala has a 10 strand string though..dont know how much difference that makes.

It may be like rifles, some just shoot faster or slower than others.

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
i've got a cousin who can consistantly get 10fps
faster than anyone else,with the same bow,at 28" draw.for example,all the people i know get around 180 with their widows.he can take those same bows and get 190 all day long.he's obviously getting a much cleaner release than anyone else.i wouldn't let the speed bother you.you're right in there with most other people.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Alot of things effect chronos.  If the arrow doesn't go through level, light, release, arrow spine, not to mention whether or not the chronos are calibrated.  I have seen 10 fps between chronos.  I have also seen wood vs carbon shoot different speeds with the same weight.  The best use of a chrono is to see if you are getting a consistent release, by getting the same numbers through 5 or 6 shots.  That said I always ask about speed in a bow because that transaltes into energy.  It should be used as a rule of thumb, not a constant.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
I'll only speak about the ILF because that is what I use.That is over 9 gpp with the ILF.Not too bad though you might expect a little more.

A good release or a bad can make 10 fps.One Chrono to another can make 10 fps.A different string might make 10 fps.The time between the testing and the telling can add 10fps.  :rolleyes:

My ILF recurve drawn to 29 in.at between 6-7 gpp shoots 212-220 fps.The ILF would shoot a lot faster with a lighter arrow.IMO that is the best guality of the ILF.The ability to handle light arrows for targets.

Speed is ok but it doesn't really matter for hunting.You can't shoot faster than an animal.I've seen too many guys dissapointed in their bow after a chrono test when they loved it just before.

IMHO a chrono is best used to test your consistency not a bows speed.

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
Try taking the catwiskers off and see what difference that makes. I had a 45 lb bow that with 2 full size catwhiskers 1916's were a little stiff. I started snipping one strand at a time from each whisker and the arrow shot weaker. I took the catwhiskers off and put on wool puffs and 2018's bare shafted perfect. You'ed be surprised how much rubber cat whiskers slow down a bow.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
neat stuff right here...

Bow/arrow tuned perfectly. Perfect release. So many other variables as outlined above.  

Bowyer no longer in Biz I knew got some tremendous speeds... and advertised them. I was in his shop once and watched him shoot 250 gr. soda straws with 90 gr. tips to get that!

I guess that he wasn't lying...but it weren't totally honest either!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Onestringer

I have a couple (well, 5) BW's, all SA III's or PSA X's.  All are 50# @ my 29" draw.  Each of them will shoot 185 to 187 with a 500 grain arrow.  I think a couple of keys to that are:

1.  I have an honest 29" draw.  29+ on hot summer days as I can stretch out a bit.

2.  Folks refer to a clean release.  What is really required (and ALLOWS for a clean release) is maintaining back tension through the shot.  When I shoot, I am extremely aware of maintaining back tension and therefor not creeping forward on release.  Creeping is an absolute KILLER for arrow speed.  Nothing you can do will rob more energy (and thus speed) from your shot than creeping.  

3.  Your arrows must be tuned to the bow.  Not just good enough to fly well, but dead nuts perfect.

All of those things contribute to higher readings on a crono.  There are other factors but those are the ones that come to my mind first.

Hope that helps.
Otto

Offline Beepy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
We were playing with the chrony at the shop I work at (we have an archery department) and I brought in my new Martin Hunter that is #55 at 28.  I have a 31.5" draw though that was averaging 230 fps with 550 grain arrows.  They guys in the shop were impressed, I didn't understand why though until it was explained to me.  I guess with that draw weight and length and the fact this martin with a FF string is really 'fast' can get them sizzling.  

I have since added 100 grain inserts so I don't think I'm going that fast now...

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
JDC, your right about Danny. He shot my 51#@28 PMA last year through the chrono and hit 200fps. He does have a smoth release. I think i shot it at 192, or some thing like it. He was getting 192-193 out of my 46#@28" SA11. It's all in the release, i guess. (My arrows are around 450grns.)
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
I agree with most of the others, where speed is not a paramount testimony of a bow's worth.  I have a really short draw of 26" and the fastest bow that I have ever chrono'd to date was a widow shooting 182, 56#@26" with around 550 grain arrow.  To me accuracy, quietness, and pleasure shooting my bow all come before speed.  I believe speed is important because it translates into energy, just not my number one concern.  I currently shoot 625 grain carbons out of a 54# bow, and it aint fast by any means, but it packs a whallop.  Just my 2 cents.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Dont get caught in the speed thing thats bad medicine....If ya find one that shoots decent say 480- 580  gr arrows let me know too...oh I just said dont get caught up on the FPS...opps! LOL mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
okay Jesse and Larry, I'll tell you the secret.....

I let go of the string REALLY, REALLY fast.    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

remember "fast is fine...but accuracy is final"
   Wyatt Earp

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
When we played around with a chronograph, we found not only the harder release got more speed, but also with longbows a bent and active bow arm made a difference.  Problem was the fast bow was not the one I liked, so I ignored the chronograph.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
I chronograph my new Hummingbird takedown recurve 50 lbs @ 28 in. , 2016 cut to 29 in. with 125 up frount and shot in the upper 180s consistantly . My arrows weigh just under 500 grains and are tuned the best that I can tune them . Now my old Hummingbird takedown was the same draw weight and shot in the upper to mid 170s so like others have said diffrent bow preform diffrent even of the same model , draw weight , and arrow .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
I'm probably getting around 130 fps out of my deer/hog slayers.  I don't need any more than that.  My arras go right thru dem critters.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks folks,  I was just wondering.  The only thing I can figure is my release stinks.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
I've owned some of the fastest longbows, hybrids and recurves, from low 50s to mid-60s poundage, and never shot over 180 fps with any of them with arrows heavier than 500 grains. Fastest to date was a BW. These day, since I hunt elk, I am looking for 160 fps with 650grn arrows. While speed is negotiable, arrow weight is not. If I were hunting pronghorn or Coues whitetail, I'd go down to 450 and try for the greatest possible speed, as I do for turkey. Everything is relative to the game we're after.

Offline joelondon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
although not long in the tooth with shooting my Trad bows, I chrono'd my bows the other day and found a tremendous amount of speed difference when using different nocks.

I initially chose my nocks based on colour - yes I know I'm a tart, but hey them is the joys of buying new stuff, but I had one set that clipped nicely on, but seemed to easily slide around on the string - these also came off the string cleanly (on a nice tap) but because of the string/nock loose connection these came off the string some 20fps then my tighter clip/string coupling.

so that may be a factor also?

cheers

Joe

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
To answer your question.  They stretch the truth.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©