3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can someone please explain to me how people shoot 185 fps  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can someone please explain to me how people shoot 185 fps
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
The shooting qualities of a bow is what is the most important thing.A bow that shoots well for you and allows you to hit the mark most often is better than all the numbers in the world.
The numbers have more to do with the shooter sometimes than the bow. jmo
Amen
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I have to have something to blame for my shooting deficiencies.  :goldtooth:  Can't spell either.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline iowa mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
I don't know how many of you shoot gloves versus tabs, but I average about 6 fps faster with a tab on anything I shoot, even on wheelie bows.
I think release has a lot to do with it. my 45# predator is upper 170s with a tab, low 170s with a glove on me. 45#@28" 447gr @ 28.5 draw
michael viehdorfer

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
I have a bow that will pop over 220 a 510 grain arrow at 27'' draw, without putting powder on the shooting glove it drops to 212, at the draw i am now shooting it dropped to 202- 206.  I am much more accurate with a lighter bow I have that shoots 188 with the same arrow, providing I remember than powder.

Offline finger lakes bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
I get over 200 fps with a gamemaster that I thought I was pulling 47 but after testing it is 52 at my 27 1/2 draw. I shoot Accs. If you put the das silence kit on it, it stays at over 200 fps and it is incredibly silent.   I just switched to a cordovan tab and I think I may be shooting faster.  Fast is key for hunters, a deer can drop fast and they will almost always hear the whistle of the feathers. Even a slightly faster bow will always result in more meat in the freezer in the hands of a quality archer. If you also use broadheads that have any perforations in it like a magnus snuffer SS there will be even more whistle.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I recently purchased a new Sheepeater Spirit and thought a cold day like today would be a good day to run it through the chrono. While I was at it I did a couple more so here is a comparison.

The Chrony is an F1 Archery model.

The first bow is a Sheepeater Spirit. It is a clear glass over Bamboo static recurve, 50” AMO. The second is a Border Black Riever Super, a 1 piece recurve with hex limbs that is 60” AMO. The third is an Adcock ACS CX 1 piece that is 66” AMO.

All three bows are the same draw weight, 47# at 27”. My draw length during this comparison was 26 ¾”, and the shots were made using a leather glove. All shots were made using the same arrow for each arrow weight, and were made 4 feet behind the chronograph.

I shot three different weight arrows, a 363 grain carbon, a 400 grain carbon, and a 525 grain aluminum. I shot each bow three times for each arrow weight, then averaged the speed of the three shots.

The Sheepeater Spirit in order of arrow weight; 173.8, 166.9, and 147.6 fps.

The Border Riever in order of arrow weight; 177.6, 171.2, and 153.4 fps.

The Adcock ACS CX in order of arrow weight; 184.5, 181.6, and 162.4 fps.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
Finger Lakes bowhunter, sorry but fast does not equal more dead deer, quiet does and the hunter knowing his game. Sound travels over 3 times the speed of our Trad. bows. I think ya can have both a fast and quiet bow, but speed definitely does not kill. Also you have to be shooting well under 8gpp. to get those numbers with your hoyt as they are no speed burners by any means and at 27.5"s there is not a bow out there that will shoot over 200fps. at 9gpp. Shawn
Shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
quiet does but unless you are shooting vains there is no way to quiet your arrows. While a deer can hear the arrow coming it can not drop fast enough if the arrow is going fast enough.  Do not know what you are talking about with the hoyt. I shot it through a chrono and on the modern archery dvd they show somone that gets 216 with his. They even make a point that it shoots faster than the master das bows.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
96 pound pull bows will get huge speed with stiff light arrows, but they are not fun to shoot with that setup. Low fifties with 160fps is more than enough for what I do.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
A whistling arrow just gets a deers attention.He will listen but seldom jump even with hissing broadheads.The noise from the bow is what sets them off not the arrow noise.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Out here everyone and their mom hunts we also have latenight spotlighter that illegally shot deer.  Any noise makes a deer drop.  If I was hunting near my folks in suburban philly I could honk a blow horn and run up to a deer with an axe and probably kill it. it is all about where you are and what the hunting pressure is like.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
Well I hope you have found something that will work.I have my doubts however because I have already been that route.   :bigsmyl:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
See, here's another hidden danger of the chronograph: it makes you unhappy when your bow doesn't shoot as fast as you think it should (or as fast as you think it was)!  I'll have to agree that speed is overrated, especially on trad. bows.  I have seen deer duck arrows from compounds shooting over 300fps, so a deer can duck any arrow.  I would also have to say that some of the speeds I've seen here are, frankly, the result of graphs that aren't accurate.  If it shoots good and it's quiet, it'll work.  If it shoots fast and it's loud, it may not.  JMHO.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
Ok so in order to get a 50 pound bow shooting faster, I'd suppose you need to shoot a lighter weight arrow, correct?  

So here we go again, which penetrates better, a lighter faster arrow or a heavy slower arrow? The slow heavy arrow will! LOL, ya just don't mess with a Trad guy who has a fast shooten Bow. Or we get threads like this:)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by BAK:

The Sheepeater Spirit in order of arrow weight; 173.8, 166.9, and 147.6 fps.

The Border Riever in order of arrow weight; 177.6, 171.2, and 153.4 fps.

The Adcock ACS CX in order of arrow weight; 184.5, 181.6, and 162.4 fps.
Thanks BAK, that pretty close to what I found
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
 Sound travels over 3 times the speed of our Trad. bows. Shawn
Shawn,

Thank you, for Speed kills the speed of sound is 1130 FPS.  Thats 6 times what we could call a fast trad bow.

scott

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
My slow bow shoots good. It is quiet and accurate.  

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
LOL Onestringer on sights, and no we don't need no stinken sights:) But I think if ya add a sight to your Trad Bow, it will shoot 30 FPS faster:)  

But really here, I am an old fart of 59. I joined an Archery Club way back there in 1970 when I was a pup. I shot bare bow back then, but there were guys who did have sights on their stickbows. And at shoots there were classes for bare bow or sights. It was amazing how well them boys could shoot with a sight on a recurve back then. There were guys who could shoot perfect scores and would give any compounder a run for their money. And there were even fiber glass arrows back in the 70's, prolly even before that. Now they call them carbons:)  

Now here I am an old fart maken BBO Bows and maken my own wooden arrows and I make fun of guys who shoot with sights or carbon arrows.. And I just love messen with guys who get into that speed thing:) I guess it will never end, the egos that drive us crazy Bow Hunters..  

But to me, any Bow Hunter is a good Hunter, cept for them Compound Guys. LOL..

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »
Onestringer, from what I can tell by shooting many different recurves and longbows through chronographs.... a good performing bow will do 175-185 fps with 9 gpp @ 28". A great performing bow will do 185-195 fps. Much of the leeways have to do with string construction, tab/glove, and string silencers. When somebody says they are getting 200 fps with 10 gpp, they are either shooting a longer draw or the chrony isn't right.

For all you "speed bashers"... the reason you don't think it matters is because you probably don't shoot at anything further away than 15 yards to notice the difference.
   :knothead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©