Author Topic: Writing on bows?  (Read 323 times)

Offline wolfshadow

• Trad Bowhunter
Writing on bows?
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
To write # and draw length on bows, what do you use? Enamel or lacquer paint, I guess, but I couldn't write with a small brush. Some I've seen are so neat.  How do they do it?
Thanks for your help.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Writing on bows?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Testors and a quill pen. Works absolutely perfect for me. I like very fine writing.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
I use an extra fine calligraphy pen and archival white ink. The ink is a water based acrylic paint and once dry won't smear or run no matter what kind of lacquer is put over it.

I use white ink because the darker osage gets the more it shows up. I inletted a piece of seasoned osage burl into this bow to make a personalized name plate. This is how white ink stands out on older osage.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
I have bought some india ink pens at a craft store that works well.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Acrylic ink works very well, check for it a Michaels.  Good stuff.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Gelly Roll paint pens work well. Several colors and can be bought at Micheal's or most craft stores.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
I use Speedball super pigmented acrylic ink from Hobby Lobby, the cheapest calligraphy pen they have with a good, extra fine point. The ink in the picture is at least 5 years old.

I dip the pen in ink, make a few lines on a piece of cardboard to unload the pen a bit and get it making fine lines without any blobs, and start lettering.

The smoother you have the surface you are going to letter the better the pen will write. Rough finishes will cause the pen to skip and make a mess. I have about 3 coats of finish on a bow before I start lettering and put a couple more coats on over the lettering.

It is a rare bow that I can letter in one try. I keep a wet paper towel close at hand to wipe off my goof-ups so I can start over. My hands are pretty arthritic from excessive draw knife use over the years and don't work too well for neat lettering.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
A CD marker pen comes in different colours and wont wash off with finishes applied.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Most typical craft store markers are way too thick for good inking on bows.  Faber-Castell makes 'extra superfine' artist pens that cost only a few dollars that write well...except they only come in black and a few other darker colors.  Have no idea why they don't come in white ink.

Like Eric I've tried a calligraphy pen and dipping ink...but didn't care for the mess.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
I have the Faber-Castell in black and white. Work really well.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
I bought a water based acrylic paint marker. Expensive like $12. I found out that it has to stored upside down or the ink in the tip will coagulate and dry up and cease to work. The tip unscrews and I dropped it in some very hot water. They are refillable also. Its a Montana Marker but it seems they went bankrupt.     :rolleyes:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©