3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: metal riser bows. your opinion  (Read 2046 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
metal riser bows. your opinion
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
just wondering what you folks think of metal riser bows like the hoyts, das, and olympic barebows.  i like them and think there as "trad" as ny other carbon limbed fiber glass bow.  no advantage, just a personal preferance.  try to keep this discussion civilized, but i would like to hear some thoughts.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: metal riser bows. your opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
That is all I shoot.A Dalaa for hunting and a 21 inch Elite for targets.I sold a Fedora and a Widow after getting them.

You will see a very good crowd here.I've never seen a more civilized forum.These folks just want you to enjoy whatever trad bow you choose even if it has an aluminim riser and carbon limbs.As long as it's got one string and no wheels you're good here.

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
never had any complaints with this crowd either.  some things hit nerves though.....any more opinions?
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
I don't own any but have shot a bunch and think most have excellent shooting qualities. I have multiple reasons for prefering my wood riser bows but they are strictly preferential reasons, not those of "more or less" trad.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
just wondering what you folks think of metal riser bows like the hoyts, das, and olympic barebows.
Love'em.  As far as recurves go, metal risers are about all I shoot these days.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
I've had a Dalaa, a DAS Gen II and a Hoyt Gamemaster.  They were all great shooting bows in their own right.  

The recurve I'm presently shooting is a one-piece Blacktail that has the perfect grip for my hand.  If it wasn't for the fact that I'm the third owner of the bow and that I've never been to OR, I would believe that I would have had to have spent 2 or 3 days in Norm's shop for him to custom fit the grip to MY hand!

That is just addressing the tremendous grip on the bow.  I won't address the other obvious elements of a Blacktail recurve (quality craftsmanship and artisanship, and fabulous shooting qualities).

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
I have a Quinn that I really like.  There is only one bow that I've ever shot better (meaning "me", I shoot this bow well).  I will probably not hunt much with it even though I know it is more than capable.  

JC said it best: "I have multiple reasons for prefering my wood riser bows but they are strictly preferential reasons, not those of "more or less" trad."
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
I like them!

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
I own a Quinn and have shot a Gamemaster. The Quinn shoots as good/smooth as any bow that I've shot and the Gamemaster was a shooter as well.

There are lots of good things about metal riser bows but to me the best is the riser being cut well past center which allows you to shoot a wide range of arrow spines. Makes it much easier to tune carbon arrows if you don't have a saw or don't want to shoot high FOC.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
I mostly shoot and enjoy wood riser bows for personal reasons as well.

Did have a Hoyt GM II for awhile and enjoyed shooting it. Also have had the pleasure of shooting quite a few other metal riser bows and can not say a bad thing about them.

As far as the Trad not Trad thing goes I believe if you enjoy what you are shooting that is all that really matters. Just go out and enjoy yourself!

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
I have only owned 2 wood bows(1 longbow/1 recurve)....i currently shoot a hoyt gamemaster2. i love the way it shoots and it has a great grip for me...i'm always worried about the durability and looks/beauty of an all wood bow....(pretty much i love wood bows but i'm afraid i'll mess them up hunting)    :)
BRANDON B.
Hoyt Gamemaster II 52# @ 26"
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50# @ 26"

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
For me, they are all I want. Hard to imagine ever going back to a wood risered bow.
Again - for me.

Steve

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
I think they're fine.  I tried a Warf but it wasn't for me.  I'd buy a Dalaa but daggone I like the looks of wood.  I have no beef shooting against them in a tournament either.  Anyone who beats me, beats me, not my bow.
Otto

Offline twig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
I've shot everything from a willow switch with arrows made of horseweed and bentover bottlecaps fer points(my first rig) to self bow that I made. Mr Bears bows,Blackwidows, Now on to Dalaa's and Warf'S Longbows, olympic bows,aisian bows, japaneese bows,I still have most of'em. I love every one of them for some reason or other.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Some of my favorite bows have metal risers. Some have had phenolic risers. Really like some wood ones too. It's all about what you enjoy and I enjoy most.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
I have a Widow and a Lee. Just sold my Crow Creek. Got a Quinn for hunting. Always worried about dinging up a pretty bow in the woods. Liked it so much I have another one on order.

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
I have owned a warf and a das and they were the easiest to shoot and tune recurves that I have shot/owned.  I gave'em up for a few reasons but not because of performance or shootablity.  One was that my 13yr old son said, "Dad, what's up with that high-tech bow? (referring to my DAS)  I like those old wooden bows better."  Just never enjoyed shooting it the afterwards.  Trad or not is subjective - so shoot what you like, do it right, and have a great time doing it.........it's all good.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
Where and why are you worried about your bow being considered trad? Are you talking traditional local shoots in general?
 Seems I read a while back that the Olympic Traditional Class states no metal risers.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Rico...never heard of a Olympic Traditional class, which Org. holds those?
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
I don't have a problem with metal risors. I just like the feel and look of wood. I just love a nicely grained wood, so I stick to wood risors...  ;)   :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©