3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: metal riser bows. your opinion  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: metal riser bows. your opinion
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Not sure Shooto8s  I just came across it surfing  Olympic Archery

National Traditional Championships Equipment and Shooting Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. At least two equipment divisions will be made (Note: there are now 3
divisions counting the "Traditional Recurve"):
a) "traditional longbow"--all--wood British longbows/American
flatbows without arrow rests/shelves;
b) "modern longbow"--longbows made with fiberglass or other
"modern" man-made materials and other longbows with arrow rests or shelves.
c) "traditional recurve" -- Recurve bows with wood handles or risers.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Rod-ya' got your old moniker back!
If I shot targets I wouldn't care much if it is wood or aluminum.
I like the warmth and feel of wood and prefer it for hunting, and the often wet and cool temps. The trad-non-trad angle doesn't weigh one way or the other.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
It’s a big contrast from my Howard Hill bows but I like them I sold most all of my wood recurves only have 3 left but still have 7 or 8 longbows. But the metal riser recurves shoot nice......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline X2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
The metal riser bows are very shootable.  I like wood riser bows better purely for my own subjectional reasons.
Support your local clubs.

Lifetime member of Idaho Traditional Bowhuters.

Lifetime member of Idaho State bowhuters

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
I hunted this year with a 73 bear mag take down it felt traditional to me.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
Just as I prefer wood over synthetic gun stocks, I prefer wood bow risers over metal.  To me, they'e much nicer on the eyes.  Plus, I like the lower tech appeal.  But to each his own.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
I have two Das and several wood bows, composite and self, I like them all. The metal risers are easier to precisely tune for me, have the ability to shoot many manufacturers limbs and change grips.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by SteveB:
For me, they are all I want. Hard to imagine ever going back to a wood risered bow.
Again - for me.

Steve
That pretty much sums up my feelings. I now own 3 DAS bows (Master, Dalaa, Elite), the Master being my favorite. It is definitely the ultimate hunting bow for me.
I think I'm fixed for risers now for quite some time...Still experimenting with limbs  :)

Craig

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Nothing against metal risers. I shot compound metal risers for years and appreciate the features and qualities of metal risers.  But, two years ago I got hooked on trad archery after a friend made me a hickory self-bow.  Love the feel and beauty of wood.
The work praises the man.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Never owned a metal handled trad bow but back when I firsted shooting with training wheels the bow I had was made of metal. I learned that there was no way to hold on to it for 6 hours when bowhunting with the temp around 0 with out loosing fingers to frost bite. For that reason alone I will not go back to a metal handle.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 03:41:00 AM »
...Opinion ?    "HUGLY" !!!!!   :bigsmyl:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by NorthShoreLB:
...Opinion ?    "HUGLY" !!!!!    :bigsmyl:  
They may be ugly, but try shooting one and then judge it.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
I have a Dalaa and a Titan. Both great shooters.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
Kind of a crossover bow for those not ready to make the full leap into Traditional Recurves. Nothing wrong with that. IMO

Offline TC in IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
To each their own.  I just prefer the looks and warmth of nice wood.  Same with gun stocks.  :)

Offline northern trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Since I bought my Dalaa there are eight wooden bows that have been hanging on the wall and none are coming down any time soon. It is by far for me the best shooting bow that I have ever owned.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
We had these same choices going from the late 1960's into the 1970's.  Bear, Herter's, Shakespeare, Black Widow, Wing, Carroll's, Browning, et al, were offering metal riser bows.
I owned several and liked them a lot.  They were cold in the winter though.  We solved that by putting on leather handle wraps.

They are easier to tune because you can cut past center without compromising strength...a problem with wood unless you laminate the riser.  Todays wood risers with vertical laminates could be made much thinner and lighter and utilize centershot capability more than they do.  Just look at the old Wing Slimline bows....most are still shooting today and they were thin and light.  An actionwood riser could be made in those dimensions easily.  We just need bowyers to take the step.

A wood riser is every bit as accurate as a metal riser, they are just not as rigid.  I like both and wouldn't ever say I would never own or shoot the other.   How long do you think it will be till the next argument is about carbon risers????
Enjoy the dichotomy....it's still all archery; no wheels or let-off...thank you.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
I wonder where we would be if the early settlers would have passed out metal risers with lambs instead of rifles to the Indians !

It's just the American way !

We will find something to question, like or dislike, favor or hate, just because we are what we are, human.

Like I have told my people at Church at times;

" you have nothing to live for until you're willing to die for what you hold dear to yourself, "is there not a cause"

Of course I'm referring to Jesus Christ.  We seem to pick out little things that separate us to make us different from others to either make ourselves look good or better.

If you like wood, or if you like metal, isn't it about the journey, and the struggle to succeed, and isn't the success about that person next to you rather then yourself or what you have your hand ?

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
www.usarchery.org

Traditional Rule Changes  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Traditional Recurve division has recently made some major changes to give the wooden recurve shooter a chance to compare their scores with the target archers of the 1950's and 1960's. The below rules are a combined effort and compromise to best represent the archers of that era as a whole. Realizing not everything was exactly the same in that 20 year period, we sought to represent the majority in that era. We believe this will add much interest to the Traditional Recurve shooter and could also give the FITA shooter today a great way to warm up for the Outdoor Nationals.

The Traditional Recurve must have a wooden riser and can be either a one piece bow or a take down. No carbon limb composites or foam limbs, just wooden core limbs with glass overlays.

Arrows may either be wood or aluminum but may not be carbon or aluminum carbon composites.  Arrows must have feather fletching.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
reallly cold on cold morning and a bit more of an alert sound when and arrow hit them over a wood riser.  Other than that-they are bows and meant to be shot
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©