3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: metal riser bows. your opinion  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: metal riser bows. your opinion
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
I don't have any problem with metal.  As long as it doesn't have sights on it, I feel like the bow doesn't give any advantage in a 3-D shoot.  If a guy likes sights for hunting, I don't care about that either; I think it's more important to be able to make a good shot than worrying about whether you are being traditional.  I have only shot two metal risered recurves.  One was an older Hoyt (a Diablo, maybe?) and one was the newer Gamemaster.  I found both of them to be on the loud side, but they shot fine.  I like the idea of having a hunting bow that I don't have to worry about dinging up, but haven't seen any metal recurves that I particularly like the looks of.  Just my opinion.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
P.S.-  I hear lots of good things about Quinn bows, but can't seem to make myself take the risk of buying one.  Wish I could shoot one, but don't know anyone who has one around here (Shreveport Louisiana).  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Bill, I wouldn't be able to get close enought to the bows to be able to shoot them   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Metal,wood or anything else it is all the same to me.When you get to full draw you don't usually pay any attention to the bow any more.As long as it is a good shooting bow I really could care less what it is made of or what kind of bow it is.I just like shooting them and will leave all the classifying to others that it matters to more.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
No interest in them here.  I always wonder if "Just add wheels" is printed on the box they come in, LOL.  I'll stick with wooden bows, thanks.

Offline Jhoneil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
They actually added wheels to wooden bows too back in the day.

Offline Jhoneil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Here are my metal riser bows:

Hoyt TD3

Dalaa and a Quinn 3D XL

Dalaa and the Black Bear Warf

A&H 3ptd with the metal bows. Sebastien Flute Fita Recurve, Dalaa again

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Jhoneil
What limbs are on that Hoyt TD3? are thoes limb skins?

That is the best looking paint on a Black Bear I've ever seen.Did you paint it? Please tell me more.I would love for mine to look like that.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Jhoneil, nice collection of bows. Too many Dalaas though. Maybe you should send one to me.  :D
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Jhoneil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Hahahaha. I wish - I only have one Dalaa and it is my number one bow. I just include it in my pictures a lot.

RH - the limbs on the Hoyt is a vinyl wall covering I found at a local hardware store. It was not very durable and I already took it off the limbs. The Warf is painted with automotive paint from Pep Boys and finished with a clear coat. I used two colors. I used a neutral color and  a brighter color for highlights.

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 02:53:00 AM »
Even more ugly than I remembered   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

...hey it's just an opinion   :D
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Kind of a crossover bow for those not ready to make the full leap into Traditional Recurves.

Oh Brother  :rolleyes:   Made the "full leap" years ago and have been through more wood risered recurves, longbows and selfbows than many will own.  Kind of a Holier than thou statement to make, Rico.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
NorthShoreLB
I've seen your selfbows and they are beautiful.You have every right to say metal risers are ugly especially since this thread asked for opinions.Just watch about saying that at a trad shoot.

You know how we are always saying bows are like women.I met a guy at a shoot last year and his wife had to be the ulgiest woman I've ever seen but I didn't tell him that.He had obviously chosen her for qualities other than looks.Some of us feel that way about our metal riser bows.

Offline Jhoneil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
I am sure NorthShoreLB does not mind it if we call his wife/girlfriend ugly  ;)  hahahah.

I actually had the same mindset before. "metal is ugly"...until I shot one. I still think the Dalaa is ugly but not when I am shooting it.

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
May not be ugly to some, but damn sure is cold in MN, leather wrap or not.  Had a Quinn and sold it, mostly for the cold, but I'm with Manny on the ugly too.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
I don't care for them but that is a personal preference.

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
I like all wood bows and metal risers with solid and camo color glass/carbon limbs.

What I dont care much for is glass covered wood lam limbs. It just seems like fake wood to me. I wouldnt spend the money building an all wood log home then put plastic fake wood trim and furniture inside it. But thats just my personal preference. I wont call your bow fake wood if you dont call my metal riser a compound with out wheels and we can all be happy.

Offline BigCnyn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

I like mine,, he is a wolf,,, Hoyt Oasis Plus Riser off a compound, gene hickman limbs, critter getter  a dream to shoot...

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
I don't get the "metal is too cold" statement. The DAS Poly grips are warmer than wood and I don't touch the little uncovered area in the front when I shoot. That could be fixed with moleskin if it's a problem...and if it's really that cold wouldn't you be wearing a glove?
I don't personally think the DAS, or most other metal bows are ugly, but they sure aren't "pretty". If I wanted a bow to hang on the wall, I wouldn't be shooting what I do. No amount of pretty exotic wood is going to help in the woods, or on the range.

Craig
P.S.-Transition bows? I started trad with a long bow then moved to recurves, then the DAS. Most of the metal guys I know have been shooting a while and have found that's what they prefer.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Metal of any kind in archery -- save for field- and broadheads, of course -- bores me. But no matter metal, wood or a synthetic riser, limbs, etc., if you can adjust tiller with the turn of a wrench, you've gone beyond where I want to be. Man, that's really boring! If I wanted easy, I wouldn't be an archer or bowhunter in the first place. I prefer to do as much as possible myself -- that where the challenge, joy, and pride come in. Some need more of those things than others. Everything is relative, and the only relatives I ever had that I liked are long dead. Selah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©