Author Topic: Bingham Projects, Inc. any opinions? (w/ project pictures)  (Read 1261 times)

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
Bingham Projects, Inc. any opinions? (w/ project pictures)
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
Hi,
I am considering building a recurve bow and I wondered if anyone has used the products offered by Bingham Projects.  It looks like they have a lot of kits, instuctions, etc that could make a first-time build a bit easier, but I would like to know if they actually are useful.

Thanks

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bingham Projects, Inc. any opinions? (w/ project pictures)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Binghams is very good for the beginning bowyer. I would also get ahold of Kenny McKenzie. He is really helpful and has very good laminations etc. He is a sponsor here. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
The first glass bow I built was with the help of the Beginner's Recurve kit from Bingham's.  The blue prints and written/dvd instructions made it easy to be successful my first time out.  If your brand new to bow building, I'd highly suggest going the route of their kit.

You can acquire all the info you need without a kit and can make/get all the materials from other sources, however if you want to get straight to the building start with their kit.  Nothing teaches better than experience.  

You'll undoubtedly expand from there assuming the bow building bug is as contagious for you as it was for me.

RW

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
About 30 yrs ago Bingham Projects offered bow kits in a 90% finished state - which was great. All one had to do with the final sanding and finishing work and then polyurethane the bows! I made 2 of them and they were some of the strongest, fastest high quality bows around. Since then they stopped offering bows in that type of kit form, which was very disappointing to many of us who didn't want to get into building heat boxes, laminating out own bows, etc. But I know from my prior experience their products are excellent quality and such!
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Great products and service. Just finished my first td recurve, a Bingham Kit, on 11/01/2011, and took my first trad whitetail doe with it on 11/11/2011. Full size blueprints, instruction booklet, and dvd. Great for the beginner. When I had questions I called, and Mr. Bingham himself took care of my questions.

Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Sweet!  Nice job on the bow and the deer.  You guys are getting me excited to get into this.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
I've been thinking about this same exact thing for awhile now. I think I'm ready to make the leap from 1 pc. all wood bows, or bamboo backed bows and try one with glass over the limbs.
Binghams seems like the perfect place to start, then when I get my feet wet with the first one I'll have a better understanding of what materials I need to get for the next one. There's no doubt that I can build a bow from a kit, the part that throws me is how to choose the right thickness lams in order to hit my target wt. at the desired length of bow I intend to build.........that's the confusing part of it all.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Semo,
There is a poundage chart in Bingham's catalog, and if you want to build a different length than is listed call Elmont and ask. After you build a couple bows, calculating stack height is pretty easy.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Binghams is a good place to start and how I and a lot of others started.  If you buy their kits and follow their plans, you will be within a couple pounds of your desired weight.  Now when you start venturing into your own designs, it really is some trial and error figuring out the right stack thickness. (I just glued up a new design for me this weekend and it turned out about 10 lb light.)  If you do end up heavy, you can drop weight by thinning the width of the limbs a bit.  But if your under weight, well....finish the bow and give it to someone who needs a lighter bow.  Take notes on every bow you make - they come in handy on future bows.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Binghams is where many many bowyers start. I've always been happy with goods and services they offer.
 However, if you want a more personal place to do business, contact kennym here on trad gang. He has bows plans, lams,glass, riser blocks and smooth-on plus he will take the time to make sure your bow comes out just where you want it. I haven't ordered a whole lot from him, but I consider him a friend to do business with, not just an account. jmo. Mike

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
I cant find KennyM, what is he listed under?
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
kennyscustomarchery.com  

i think that's the site. excellent product and service!

binghams is excellent too and has a wide variety of products and plans. they also offer instructional video's which i found very helpful. can't go wrong either way

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
I have made several one piece 60" bows basically from Bingham's plans and they shoot well and are quiet and fast.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
I made my one and only glass bow with Binghams. It was a straight limb longbow. Broke before I got it strung.  It was totally my fault. Binghams was very helpful with info if I needed it and had everything I needed to do the job...except the tallent.   I can build selfbows all day long but I'm personally not geared for making glass bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
I think I will get a kit and have a good project for the Christmas break.  It's getting cold outside anyway (15 degrees this morning), so I can head to the basement shop.

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Does Kenny by any chance offer bow kits already laminated and 90% of the shaping already done?

I am looking to do a bow but don't want to have to go thru building a bow press and heat box, etc as I don't really have access to a good working wood shop and tools...
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
scoobie doo,  

i don't know if kenny offers that option. if he did though i'm sure it would be first rate.

if thats what you're looking for try 7 lakes longbows. they have great bow blanks that are all ready to go and just need final shaping and sanding.

good luck,    mike

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Well, I got my Bingham kit, studied the plans, and started to build the press.  This is going to be fun.

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Binghams has great kits to get your forms built and all the hardware you need to start but when it comes to laminates and getting your bow woods go to Kenny he gets you top quality wood laminates and usually cheaper than anyone else. I have used kenny for at least 2 years now
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©