Author Topic: Bingham Projects, Inc. any opinions? (w/ project pictures)  (Read 1260 times)

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bingham Projects, Inc. any opinions? (w/ project pictures)
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
@StoneAK: thanks for that info. I checked out his web site. I will keep that in mind for future bows.  I just hope that I can pull off this first one and learn enough to be comfortable doing more.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 01:32:00 AM »
:smileystooges:   oops!!!  I'm havin' troubles here postin' pics. :archer2:

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
I have been working on the press.  It's for a 60" recureve, alternate riser pattern.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
I saw the pic of your form before it was removed. I would add more screws to it, I like to have a lot of screws in my forms since the Tightbond II I used to glue the plywood together breaks loose above 150 degrees..so i really put plenty of drywall screws in each side of form. which Binghams design is the form for? I built a 58" one piece form.

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
Word of advice having gone down the exact road you're on with a 60 inch recurve kit Binghams.  Make sure you do a full on dry run.  I followed the kit's dimensions to the letter and when it was all said and done I couldn't get the upper form locked in once the material for the bow was in place.  I did do a dry run, but neglected to lay the hose in and but the upper form in place, so I ended up with an epoxy nightmare and on the fly drilling, reworking of the form.  The bow actually turned out, shoots well, and the lesson learned was invaluable.  All things being equal, I would have preferred to just do it right the first time though   :)

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
@RW - thanks for that good info.  I was actually just thinking the same thing while I was testing the hose on Sat.  I put it in place and pressurized it, and noticed that the spacing seems too narrow near the metal bars. I still need to cut out and shape the riser, but I will FOR SURE do a dry run before the final glue-up.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
wookiewebster-
If you don't mind, could you tell me what tools you need? I've been wanting to buy a Bingham Kit for awhile now but I don't have any saws, sanders, or rasp. It would just be nice to know what tools I should buy before I buy a kit. Good luck and I'll keep my eye on this thread! HAVE FUN!    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by snakebit40:
wookiewebster-
If you don't mind, could you tell me what tools you need? I've been wanting to buy a Bingham Kit for awhile now but I don't have any saws, sanders, or rasp. It would just be nice to know what tools I should buy before I buy a kit.
OK, I will tell you that although I have some experience from doing some framing, finish work, A/V cabinets, and speaker enclosures, I don't consider myself an expert in woodworking. So, this is just my opinion as a DIY-er.

I think there are several ways that things can be done, tool-wise.  In Bingham's build video, the bow-builders use a bandsaw and a drill-press mounted sanding drum a lot. They rough-cut the shape with the bandsaw, then use the sanding drum to fine tune the edge right up to the pattern lines and square it up. I think a good jigsaw would also work for cutting. Also, an Oscillating Spindle Sander works for the sanding. Another option for finishing and squaring the edge would be to use a router and a Flush/Trim Pattern Router Bit. MLCS woodworking had a few of those. You just need to get a bit that covers the full 2" edge, and transfer the patterns to some paneling.

Also, 4x8 sheets have to be cut into sections and glued together.  So, a table saw or circular saw and clamps are useful.

So far, I have used a table-saw, bandsaw, spindle sander, and drill to make the press. It looks like more bandsaw, rasping, and sanding ahead.  I would like to know if anyone uses any dremel attachments for these builds.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Thanks wookiewebster! I want to build my own bow ssssoooo bad. Keep us posted on your progress!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
I use a dremel to cut my initial string nocks in (tile bit I believe).  I stop way short of finished and then file and sand.  A steady hand is required but it sure is fast.

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
An update: I spent some time over the holiday break working on this project.  There are some time-consuming steps.  I am learning a lot. I decided that I will put all my pictures and a write-up of this build experience in a blog. I will post the link later in case anyone is curious.  

Here is my first string-up test after intial shaping of the limbs.  It looks funny as just a block with limbs.  The pull weight is way beyond 70lbs.

..and here is my progress after a lot of riser shaping:

..and here is where I am currently.  I am still slowly lowering the weight, which was way too high, and tweaking for any limb twist. It takes more time and effort than I thought it would.  I am going slowly since I don't want my first bow to totally suck, but I can already tell that I will do better on #2.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
:campfire:
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
Looking good, was that riser material bought from Bingham?  Bue--.

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Buemaker:
Looking good, was that riser material bought from Bingham?  Bue--.
Yes, this was part of my starter "kit". It is called New Desert Camo and they call it their Coreflex/Superaction riser material

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Looking Great!Keep us posted!

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Looking very nice. It does take a while, however, it is well worth the time and effort in the end. Keep it going!!!
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
Up for the Bingham question, and I want to see your progress wookiewebster    :readit:   Can't wait to see more!
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
Looks really good.  I love the look of that riser.

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Howdy y'all!

Well, I finally stopped sanding and got some finishing done on my first bow build. Here are some pictures of the final product.
I know it isn't perfect, and I can do better on the next one, based on what I learned this time.  I will put some of my conclusions at the bottom.

Stats: 60" long recurve, 50# @ 28" draw (my draw is 30")

I am calling this bow "The Moab", because the riser pattern is called Desert Camo and I tried to shape it to resemble the wind-swept formations of Southern Utah.

A few conclusions and opinions about this kit and build process:

- 1st time builders should order a lighter weight kit.  I am 6'4", 250 lbs, and have a 30" draw, so I am not afraid of a heavy pull. So, I ordered a 50# kit, thinking that if I had to sand more than normal, etc. and if it reduced the pull to the 40# range, I would still be good.  Instead, the bow came out of the press at well over 70# and I spent way too much time figuring out how to reduce it to the 50# range.  The Bingham instructions state specifically NOT to remove wood from sides of the limbs to reduce weight, but after hours of sanding on the glass (carefully counting, etc), the draw weight just would not drop enough.  Eventually, fearing that I would remove too much glass and ruin the bow, I finally had to resort to sliming the limbs just to get the limbs down to a manageable weight.  If I did it again, I would order a 35#-40# kit for my first build.            :banghead:          

- Maybe go with the thinner limb profile. I like the looks of the wide-limbs bows, so I ordered a 2" kit.  With wider limbs, any mistake is amplified as limb twist or other tiller issues.  I think that going with the thinner limb would make the build go easier for the first try.

- Might want to stick with the basic riser shape. I like the looks of what Bingham calls the 'alternate' riser design. So I ordered both design patterns with my kit and intended to build the alternate design.  I did build it and I still like the way it looks, but I think that the basic design, where the glass goes tip-to-tip across the back of the bow, is simpler and requires less time to complete.  Luckily, you can use the same press for both shapes, which is very convenient.  I think I will build the regular shaped bow next.

- Tools. The oscillating spindle sander that I bought for this project was money well spent. I used it a lot and it was invaluable in some steps. It made shaping and precision sanding much easier than if I had to do it some other way, especially when working with thin sections like the fade-outs.  Still, there is no getting around the need for good old-fashioned hand tools like rasps, files, and sand paper.  The bandsaw was also used a lot for cutting out parts for the bow vise, patterns, and riser shapes.

- Finish. I know that some people who work with wood just love the super shiny high-gloss type finish.  I see it on fancy wood gun stocks and other nice wood items.  To try out a couple products, I used Minwax Wipe-On Poly finish on a bow I am refinishing (Bear Bearcat) and I used Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil on this project.  Both produced a very glossy finish, as the pictures show.  However, I think that I like more of a satin finish when I compare this with some other bows and gun stocks that I have. The high-gloss shows every single finger print that has touched the bow and reflects light right into my eyes at certain angles.  I need to try another bow with some other finishes, but I don't think I will do high-gloss again. If I were to hunt with this bow, I would certainly switch to something less shiny.  The high-gloss is nice for a wall-hanger, show-off bow perhaps.

- Precision. I need to be more precise next time.  Things like perfect center marks on the limbs and perfect alignment of the string notches on the tips are far more important than I realized.  All those little things add up to prevent issues like limb twist, which takes time to deal with. Also, the upper surface of the lower bow form is critical, and has to be done right. If it is not flat and square, the bow will come out with issues, especially with the wider limbs.

- Bow Oven. I think I will re-do the EZ-Bake bow oven's design. Having the bulbs in the lid is a weakness because when the lid is moved at all there is always worry that bumping it too hard will break the filament in these pricey 200 watt bulbs. I think I will move the bulbs to a bottom-mount, on boards. This will let the heat rise naturally, creating more even heating, and I can open the lid without being so slow and careful.  I also had to throw a couple blankets over the oven to get the heat high enough. I see people have made ovens out of foam that I think would also hold heat better.

From here, I think I will for sure try another bow, to improve my skills.  Also, I wonder what it would take to build a longer recurve bow, say 64"?  Would I just extend the riser by 2" top and bottom, or do I extend the limb length, or both?  If anyone has a pattern for a longer bow, I would like to look at it.

I put a lot more pictures on a blog here:   Recurve build #1

-Wookie

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Way to go!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©