Author Topic: What tools?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
What tools?
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Well I finally did it - I ordered the Bingham Projects 62" hybrid kit.  I can't wait for it to arrive!  Anyway while I am waiting I am gathering the tools needed for the build.  Any suggestions?  I have a lot of hand tools and all of my electric tools are portable (1/2" drill, jig saw, angle grinder, circular saw, etc.).  Can I get by with hand tools on this?  What tools (hand tools or electric - always need an excuse to get a new tool) do you find the most useful on your builds?  
Thanks.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What tools?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
If you have lots of hand tools I think a bandsaw or at least access to one would really help you with this project. A hot box for curing the epoxy is a help too. I got my hot box plans from Bingham.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
I am going to build the hot box from their plans.  Do you think a Craftsman 1/2 hp 12" band saw would work?  I can pick one up for $120.00 or so used.  Or should I hold out for a 3/4 hp?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
An edge sander is the glass guys best friend I think?

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Would I be better served with an edge sander or drum sander overall?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Either of the band saws will work. If you plan on building more bows a 14" with a 1hp motor would be better. I had a 10" Grizzley that I used and found that I would easily bog it down. I would rather be a bit overpowered than a bit underpowered so I got a 14", 1hp Grizzley and have built many bows using it. Mine were all selfbows(except one glass bow) and I put this saw through the wringer and she keeps coming back for more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Well I found an older Craftsman 12" 1/2 hp. for $130.00 used so I think I am going after it. There is also a Craftsman 4" belt / 6" disc sander for $100.00 - I will have to check on the condition though.  Would I be better off getting this sander or a drill press with a sanding drum? My money for tools maxes out at 250 this month so I need to make it count.    :)

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
TW,  I think you can get the cheapest Craftsman belt/disc sander new for about $120.  I haven't built a glass bow so I'm not sure which type of sander would be best, belt/disc or drum.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
most guys seem to like the belt sanders on edge- and i have seen a thread on here wher a jig was built to hold a std, belt sander on edge- might have been dick but not sure.

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Ranger44 - I did not know they were that cheap new!  I may have to look into it.

fujimo - I considered doing that with my belt sander.  I will search and see if there is a how-to.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Home depot has a Ridgid osolating belt edge sander for cheap. Great tool for working glass bows and the fades.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Aside from a band saw, a combo belt/disc sander gets used alot.  I use a cheap Harbor Freight 4"x36 belt/6" disc and it would be a pain to shape limbs and risers without it.  I use an oscillating spindle sander (Delta)quite a bit as well.  The Rigid would probably cover all that pretty decent.

I would build the first with what you have.  If you catch the bug (hard not to) then start picking up some other stuff.

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
I second what JamesV said. I've asked for it for X-Mas. About 160 new. Has an edge sander and coverts to an oscilating drum sander. Two in one. Awesome looking set up for a bowyer. I have a 12" craftsman bandsaw, and it is a pain to change blades on. And you need to change blades, especially with glass. It also does not have a guage for blade tension, which my next on will absolutely have to have. But my craftsman did work for my first one.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I quite cutting glass on the band saw except for the site window. That is avoidable as well but it is easy and fast on the band saw.  I grind my initial limb shape with 40 grit on the disc sander.  Fairly fast and way cheaper than going through bandsaw blades.  A hacksaw takes care of the rest of the glass cutting.

With a regular band saw blade its toast about 2 seconds after it hits fiberglass.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I do as Don says, grind the limbs to profile with 36 or 40 grit disc. Prob as fast as bandsawing and then grinding.

I lay out the limbs on a one-pc, then make a pass on each line,flip to another and alternate til done.

Don't want to grind til they are too hot, and the coarse grit gets hot too, but just don't rush it.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Lots of good advice here.

I use an oscillating spindle sander a lot.  Great for the fade outs and I also use it to rough shape the limbs before going to a belt sander clamped sideways on a workbench with a big C-clamp.  I've been thinking about getting one of those Rigid combination spindle/belt sanders.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
I had one of those rigid combos, bought it new, thought it was junk. Gave it away.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
I've said it before, DO NOT mess with a 9" bandsaw.  The price was too tempting, the performance was too weak!  :dunno:

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
So, an oscillating spindle sander and edge sander seem to be two of the most important tools for this.  I will keep an eye out - thanks everyone.

jsweka - Do you have any pics of your belt sander set up?  Did you just build a jig and clamp it so it is ninety degrees to your table?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©