Author Topic: Can I make a bow from this Ipe plank?  (Read 710 times)

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
Can I make a bow from this Ipe plank?
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Just received some more wood, most of it is quite good however this board is a bit questionable.  For a fiberglass bow, not an issue, but I'm really wanting to get a few bamboo backed all wood bows out of this.  What do you learned masters think?

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can I make a bow from this Ipe plank?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
For bamboo backing shouldn't be a problem. Backing works wonders. I might not push the limits in terms of how short and narrow the bow is but you should be fine.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Bamboo backed IPE makes a great shooter. The bow will have to be narrow to have enough mass in the limbs to keep the bamboo from over powering the IPE. I build mine with 1 1/8th wide limbs.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Thats nice stuff. 1 1/8" is my standard as well. 64-66" ttt for a 28" draw. Be sure the boo is THIN before you glue it on. 1/8" max. Ipe will fret if your not careful.

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Lookin to build my first bbi as well. had a bbo that turned out awesome. recently came across some tigerwood too.  Might just have to get em both goin
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
1 1/8th wide.  Bit narrower than I was anticipating.  1/8th thick on the boo was what I was planning.  How thick and what kind of taper do you run on your Ipe?  14 inch riser?

It's really attractive wood.  I've seen many pictures but this is the first I've had it in my hands.  The contrast between the Ipe and the boo should make for a really nice looking contrast.

Off to bed to dream of BBI bows   :)    Thanks guys.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
i build all mine 1 1/8 wide at the fades- tapering to 3/8 tips in a pyramid style, with the bend carrying through the handle.
 handle 1" wide, by about 4 1/2 long. fades about 2" long each
a leather glue up on the handle area to add some bulk for the grip - but not so as to impede the bending- cork also works well.
 this is just what i like for the ipe.
 and as pearl says- as tough as the wood is, it does fret easily- so watch that your taper on the belly( tiller!!) is smooth and consistant.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »
Start with a 1/2" to 3/8" thickness taper of the Ipe ONLYy. Its a god starting point and will leave plenty of wood to remove still. You will be suprised how thin it gets even at 1 1/8" wide.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
I have a 55# BBI that is a shade less than an inch in width. One and an eighth should be TOTALLY doable for about any weight you care to get from it.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Where do you guys get you Ipe boards from. I'm out in the sticks and don't have a flooring place to get stuff like this from.
Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
For bamboo backing shouldn't be a problem. Backing works wonders. I might not push the limits in terms of how short and narrow the bow is but you should be fine.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Tony higher end lumber yards carry it at times. Its popular deck boarding for the spendy folks.

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
101woods.com is where I ordered the wood from. I live in the sticks too and don't have any options locally.

Thanks for the advise.  I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Offline PrimitiveSniper66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Advantage trim & lumber has good ipe I build about 60 ipe bows a year and only one bad board and they sent one free, 1-877-232-3915 on the east coast,and if you order tell them it's for bows and want a straight grain board.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
Thanks guys will look into getting some to make some new bows.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
As an update, 4 days later here's what I have:

Obviously, still have some tillering work to do.  But overall I'm pleased with the outcome so far.  At this time the bow is drawing 60# at 28". I used Padauk for the handle and tips. The photograph doesn't do it justice, but the dark Ipe and Orange/red Padauk look nice together.  It's taking about a 1/2in set and no obvious signs of imminent failure.

So tilling experts, while this may seem a terribly novice question, how do I fix that hinge on the upper limb?

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Careful...you need to work on that left limb some to get it bending more and there appears to be a hinge starting to rear its ugly head in your right limb but I might be having one of those nights where the ole eyes are being tricked by the lines in your brick wall.

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
This highlights my ignorance.

By my eye, the left (which is the lower) limb is just about correct and the right (upper) limb is hinged

Advice welcome

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Once you get that hinge corrected by removing wood on either side of it you will have to remove wood from the left limb to catch up to it...Others will hopefully chime in and either validate or my opinion or chide me and I will learn something lol.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
I agree with the above by the time you get the hinge fixed and the lower limb to match your going to loose a lot of weight.
I've been in the same fix several times. Might as well plan on it being a much light3er bow and try to figure out why the upper limb wanted to hinge.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©