Author Topic: Anybody make a 1 1/2" wide recurve ?  (Read 265 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody make a 1 1/2" wide recurve ?
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I have made a couple of Bingham one piece recurves. I went with the 1 3/4" wide limbs. I realize the stack will need to be more but is there any reason not to make 1 1/2" wide recurve. I use ULS glass for recurves. Thanks, Don

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody make a 1 1/2" wide recurve ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
No reason at all.  All of my recurve limbs are made with 1 1/2" material and finish near 1 3/8" at the wedge and 1/2" at the tips.
I have found that thicker narrow limbs give better performance...at least with my designs.
I wouldn't go to radical with the curve, as you may run into some stability issues with the narrow limbs.  Tiller becomes very important.
Again, design plays a huge part, but if you get it right you will come up with a very fast and stable limb.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Stability is the only problem.

If it works in your design go for it but remember you are going to lose some stability.

Good luck!

Tenbrook

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I will probably use the Bingham design and SWAG the stack one the first. They give a add for 1 3/4" to 2" so I will deduct that amount from their 1 3/4" stack. I will make my form from their prints but make it 1 1/2" instead of 1 3/4". I will use ULS glass to help with stability. Don

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Stability depends on what you do in tip design. Like taper the last third of the limb and use a long thin reverse taper just past where you tip taper starts. Kinda semi static tip. But as metioned your tiller game needs to be on.
High on Archery.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
I build all my bows with 1 1/2 inch limbs.
Deeper core and less glass increases the stability. you may have to play with tapers or use none at all . trapping to the back helps too.

God bless and good luck, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©