Author Topic: Binghams takedown recurve form ?  (Read 433 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Binghams takedown recurve form ?
« on: December 16, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I have the DVD and prints coming for a takedown recurve. When you make the form for the limbs do you have to chose a length like the one piece or can you make different length limbs from one form. I would like to make 58", 60" and 62" bows. Thanks, Don

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Binghams takedown recurve form ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Don.  On a takedown, wouldn't the limbs be the same, just a different length riser to make the different length bows????
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
I'm not sure if Binghams uses different length risers or limbs. I may just call Elmont and ask. I need to order my lams and stuff from Kenny M. so I was wondering. Thanks, Don

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Don- on my TD's I just move the butt end forward or backwards to change the length-I'll bet the bingham form works the same way-one form good for 58,60 & 62".

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trux Turning:
Don- on my TD's I just move the butt end forward or backwards to change the length-I'll bet the bingham form works the same way-one form good for 58,60 & 62".
Trux is correct.  The riser length stays the same.  If you are following Binghams plans and you change riser length, you will miss the intended weight of one of their kits.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
In the Bingham kit you just drill additinal holes for the butt pin going forward 1 inch at a time so your limb stays the same with only the limb butt shortening.  Riser the same for all lengths.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »
Thanks guys, It's a lot easier than I thought. Don

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Armstrong:
... It's a lot easier than I thought. Don
:laughing:  

Don't want to scare you or anything, but there's a reason why I've built one, and only one TD recurve and there's a reason the professionals charge so much more for a TD than a one piece.  It gave me fits getting the the holes for the limbs perfectly straight and then getting the twist out of the limbs once I got a string on it. I'm sticking with my one piece longbows.  But maybe you're a better craftsman than me.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
jsweka, I know what you mean on the limbs. I made two one piece recurves and the limbs gave me fits. The guys on here helped me get them lined up. I was talking about the different length bows being easier. I am going to take a deep breath and think some calming thoughts when I start drilling the limbs and riser  :D  . Don

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Good luck with it Don.
I did think that the glue up was easier on the TD I made simply because I wasn't handling 72" long laminations.  That part I liked.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I use plywood spacers instead of the pins...just use masking tape to hold them in place.  1/2" ply is just about the same thickness as my limb stack w/wedge so I can just butt everything up and keep it even.
Hopefully the pic helps...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©