Author Topic: Crazzzzzy looking chunk O wood :)  (Read 603 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Crazzzzzy looking chunk O wood :)
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Anybody ever see a piece of Osage that looked like this   :)  

Just to different not to post...  (not my Stave)

I'd love to see this build along!!!

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crazzzzzy looking chunk O wood :)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Now that would quite a bow when finished.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Roy if it were mine I think it would be years before I took a swing at it but in the right hands Wow!! what a bow, maybe Twins?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Excuse me a minute while I go take a cold shower!!!
   That is an incredable stave. It is going to be a difficult build but if you can conquer it will be an increadable bow.
  I have a stave I bought a few years ago at the Tenn Classic that is similar but not quite as extreme. On my stave(and the others that were its sisters) each growth ring followed it own snakey path and not necessarily the ring above and below it. So far only one bow has survived from this tree because of the independant actions of each growth ring in each stave
Don't let me discourage you though. Please doccument your progress so we can follow along. I'll be cheering you on along the process.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
What a piece of wood! I'd be afraid to touch it lest I ruin it. What a bow it will make in experienced hands!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
This is not my Stave but I hope it shows up here in a thread. It was sold on the auction site and brought $410.00 plus $47.15 shipping...  I just though it was so unique that I had to post the pictures.... I just hope it was someone that will post their build.    

This is way beyond my skills  :)

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
with a price tag like that i would never get the chance to find out if i could build a bow out of a character stave like that . wow, it should make for some great bowshop fodder too.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
"$457" .....  Ruddy, that's why it's not at my house   :)

But man what cool a piece O wood!!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
That's kind of stave I love tackle. About half end up broke but they sure do teach you alot. I'm like you though Coaster I couldn't afford a 450$ lesson.

I cut a stick last year and quartered it. PatB has one stave and Keenan has one stave and I still have two staves out of it. Plum full of knots and swirl and snake.

Seeing this I think I'll break down and get the bark off the two I have.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Ryan,
I was drooling all over my keyboard when I saw Bjorn’s link earlier today; with all the slobber under the keys I am surprised that it still works.  

I have a set of billets that might come close to that stave for snakyness (I don’t believe that is a word, but it fits, so I will use it anyway.) but when billeted together they will only make a 56” bow.  Might end up using metal and brass sleeves and get close to 60” but they are not my preferred takedown system.  I traded for the billets during my last trip to MoJam in 2006 and have been looking at them since.  In my mind, that bow has been built a dozen different ways.  The billets are in the corner and will not be touched until we settle our little dispute: they keep telling me they want to become a different type of bow, then the bow I want to make them.  I am sure they will win the argument, but it will probably take another couple of years before I relinquish my vision.

DANG, THAT SURE IS ONE PERTY STAVE!
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
"Seeing this I think I'll break down and get the bark off the two I have."  ..  Stiks then it was well worth the post  :)

Walt I'll just have to sit and admire all the talent here.... maybe I'll be able to tackle something like that some day  :)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I'd probably have 400$ worth of tooth pics LOL
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Looks like the stave a guy was trying to sell at MOJAM this year for $350.  Very hard to make a bow out of a stave that snakey.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
That stave at MOJam did sell for the asking price and was even nicer than the one in these pics. These super snaky staves are often from limbs with tension wood and also have grain that does not run parallel to the surface.

Still, I'd love to take one on someday.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 04:41:00 AM »
I'd hate to see the price of the finished bow!  :scared:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
I'd LOVE to work a stave like that. Snakey staves are my favorites. The more the better.

I had a stave just like that in my hand up at ETAR once many moons ago. It was CHEAP too, like 50-60 bucks or something. I walked away for just a few minutes, when I came back, Mr. Torges had already claimed it.

Oh well. My fault. I should have grabbed it and never let go.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
I saw that stave on the auction site when it was at about $250, was wondering how much it would go for. Would love to see the finished product or a build-along  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  
I wonder who bought it and if anyone on here knows the person. Imight e-mal the seller and see if he will pass a message along.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline burnt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
um!!! wow. sure would like a chance to mess that one up.
"TGMM Family Of The Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©