Author Topic: Bamboo  (Read 405 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Does anyone have any experience buying bamboo from Cali Bamboo? I'm looking to order a bundle of 25 slats for bow backing. With shipping and border charges the cost will end up being $8 a slat. Each slat is 1 3/4 " wide by 72 " long and 1/4 " thick. I just have to plane them to final thickness and width.
What do you all think?
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
How about $4 a slat delivered? I buy from Forever Bamboo.  25 slats delivered $99.  1 3/4 X 72" long and 1/4 thick.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I'll give them a call. Part of my cost is $50 duty when it crosses the border. Any money saved can go to buying nice woods for risers and accents.
Dave.

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
I've bought from them several times.  It's moso bamboo, reasonably uniform to their quoted specs, fast shipping.  Just got 50 slats from them about 3 weeks ago in fact.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
I'm looking to get some more bamboo in the near future. There are MANY different types of bamboo. Could you guys please specify exactly which type you're getting from these places? Thanks.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I just went to the Cali Bamboo and Forever Bamboo sites and they're selling Moso bamboo slats.... PERFECT! Thanks for the hook-up guys.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Most retailers sell moso, which is good for bow building. That's what I've used and I like it. Archery supply retailers might have other types, but I'm still learning so I'm happy to use the lower cost moso.
Bowjunkie, Cali Bamboo is in California, but they told me that they have a distribution centre in PA.
Dave.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Bowjunkie, ya wanna split a bundle son? :)

Offline wolfshadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
I'm wanting to use my 4" planer to taper some bamboo. On a 68" bow, give me a reasonable thickness as handle, and taper to what th8ickness at tips.  (I realize my tiller will make a difference and account for draw weight, but just some ball park numbers would be helpful.) How thin can bamboo be?  Also, once glued on bow, can I take my belt sander and knock of the nodes?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
I taper my boo from 1/8th thick at the handle to 1/16th at the tips. But I don't use a jointer to taper, boo is delicate stuff when you get it to 1/8th or 1/16th thick. And a jointer would rip it apart. Get it close then use a hand plane or belt sander to taper. The nodes come off real easy, you only want to take off the rough edge of them, do not flatten them out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©