Author Topic: Advice for a beginning bowyer  (Read 450 times)

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice for a beginning bowyer
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Hey everyone.

So I'm currently seeking advice on gathering the tools needed to make a laminated longbow.

I'm obviously still very much an amateur, and not very knowledgeable when it comes to this subject.

I have a 31 inch draw, and have a lot of trouble finding bows that would work for me. So I figured, for Christmas, instead of asking for money to go towards a new bow, why not invest in the equipment needed to make my own? I'm 17, and figured this will be a worthwhile investment.

Now I fully expect to do my own research, and figure out most of this stuff on my own. But I was wondering if you guys could push me in the right direction? Are there any books you would suggest I get when it comes to making laminated bows?

Also, if you could tell me the tools generally used for building them, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
What man is a man who does not make the world a better place

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice for a beginning bowyer
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Check out Bingham's Projects.  They've got some decent videos and booklets on bow building.  I'd recommend you getting the videos so you can see exactly what's needed and how to do it.

Also do a search for some of the build alongs here.  There's always new tricks you can pick up.

A couple tools I'd recommend...bandsaw, oscillating spindle sander or drum sander you can chuck into a drill press, belt sander, chainsaw file for string grooves, any number of your own personally preferred rasps, and lots of sandpaper in grits from 80 to 320.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
http://poorfolkbows.com/

Check out the above for some minimal tool builds.

My most used tools: 14" bandsaw, oscillating spindle sander, 4" belt sander, 1" belt sander, 12" disk sander, files, rasps, cabinet scraper, hack saw, tape measure, yard stick, ruler, tons of sand paper, and a bunch of c clamps.  Priority wise, the band saw and spindle sander are my most used power tools.

Offline wolfshadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
I'm no expert, but I think you will enjoy and learn more about laminated stuff if you start with a chunk of hickory or osage. Get it shaped on somebody's bandsaw if you don't have one, then files, rasps, a drywall rasp, and scrapers - like draw knife.  Sandpaper. Rat tail file.  That's all you need for your first couple of bows.  I don't think I would appreciate a laminated bow or a backed bow unless I had made a self bow. Any howm, you can get all kinds of advice from this website, and many more opinions.  Enjoy it!  I wish I had started when I was younger.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Andrew, are you considering a fiber glass laminated bow, or a wood laminated bow?  

The poor folk website mentioned is a great starting point.  As is 4est trekker's how-to thread.

Wolfshadow is right. Starting out with a hickory backed hickory, or osage will teach you a lot and give you a hunting weight bow.  Dimensional lumber is easy to work with and convenient.  A backing means you can make a servicable bow without worrying too much about raising a splinter on the back.

You have many options at this point and some good advisors.

Good luck, bud, and have fun.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Andrew.........

Your chances of building a servicable glass bow on the first try are excellent. Building your form and shaping the riser are the most important part but not very complicated. After your research and the basic knowlege, contact someone like KennyM or Bingham's that can furnish you with everything you need for your build. There might even be a bowyer close to you that will help. The guys here will be glad to help you too................James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline RomeoWhiskey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Andrew -

What part of OH are you in?

Offline Jermcramp1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
youtube (boarriorbows), he does great build alongs and one he makes with only a rasp. Hes on here somewhere.
Like they said, 4est and poorfolks. O, and (primitivepathways) on youtube not only does a bow with a rasp, he shows all kinds of other skills.

Other than that, start simple, I use a 4-way rasp 90% of the time, using power tools keeps getting me into trouble...

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
check out John of Old Mastercrafters, Waukegan, IL  He can set you up with plans and material that far out performs any of binghams stuff.  That is my personal belief.  He actually has done alot of work for Binghams that they then sell to you.  So go to the source and get it done right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©