Author Topic: Shaping the back of an osage handle.  (Read 423 times)

Offline wolfshadow

• Trad Bowhunter
Shaping the back of an osage handle.
« on: December 19, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I'm ready to finish the handle.  How much can I shape on the edges of the handle on the back of the bow?  Right now, the back still has the sharp edges from chasing the ring.  It seems if I round or smooth the edges at the handle, I'll be violating the ring at the handle. I'll attach a pic if I can figure how.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shaping the back of an osage handle.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
If the handle is rigid you can do what you wish. The ring violations only matter in working areas of your limbs. Round it off until you like the feel.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
All edges, not just the handle area, should be rounded. I've read the diameter of a pea.
  Even on a bendy handle bow you should round the edges so it has less chance of lifting a splinter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wolfshadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Thanks, you guys are so helpful!  I'm on my 7th bow, 3 go to grandsons for Christmas, and I'm learning fast.  Getting help from tradgang is so much easier and often a lot more understandable than the books and DVDs.  I finally got a Flemish string to "stick."  I could not figure it out until I slowed down and did what the emailed instructions said to do!

I'm needing to get a osage blank to start on a bow for my best friend/hunter.  Any better place than 3 Rivers?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Osage stave? Post an ad in the classifides looking for a dry osage stave 72" long.

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
If the handle is rigid you can do what you wish. The ring violations only matter in working areas of your limbs. Round it off until you like the feel.
Is this true!  I've only built rigid handle bows and always left at least 3/8 inch of unbroken growth ring across the handle.  If I can shape the handle without worrying about keeping that much unbroken growth ring it will open up a lot more possibilities.
I would like some more info/pics on this if anyone has any.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©