3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: meat grinders  (Read 897 times)

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
meat grinders
« on: February 22, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
looking for some help. getting ready for next year and i am going to buy a meat grinder for myself. what brand, size, and/or horsepower do you  use with good results? what is the most important aspect to look for? we like to have most of our deer ground/burger. would like to be able to grind a deer in an afternoon. or maybe 2 deer if i ever get that lucky. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx tim.
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: meat grinders
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
My brother and me use a Cabela's 1 & 1/2 HP grinder.  It was pricey but it'll squirt burger like a fire hose.
Otto

Offline Dick4bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
Tim,

I bought a grinder for my wife's Kitchen Aid.  Ground up 2 deer in 3 hours.  I bone my deer before bringing it home. Not fast but the price sure beats a separate grinder that is used once or twice a year.  Dick

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
Grizzly also makes a fine Meat grinder. West Lake Hardware stores also carry a cheaper model for around $200.

Myself I use My Wifes Kitchen Aid Mixer with a Grinder attachment You can get for around $10.00 been grinding our Deer this way for many years now. I do all the butchering and the Wife does the Meat grinding, works for us....ONE SHOT...  :D    :D    :D    :)    :)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
I purchased a Sam Baere TS-110 and have ground quite a bit of meat with it. No troubles. Ground whitetail and Bob Walkers Bear Meat and it is a powerful and fast grinder. The TS-110 will grind it as fast as you can put it in the hopper. Good Luck with your search.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Lem products...If you ask for a remanufactured one you can save enough to buy the next size up. I have a #8 and it is all I need. Good luck
G
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
That little Kitchen Aid meat grinder works pretty good with frozen and thawed meat too.  If you are looking for cost effiency, it might be the way to go if you have use for an actual mixer and will use like I/my wife does.  Otherwise you'd have to fork up for the mixer first and buy the attachment seperate.  Not worth it if you just want the grinder.  I have a frugal friend that uses a hand crank grinder from Bass Pro Shops that he rigged an electric motor to.  The grinder is pretty stout made by LEM.  Not to sure about the brand as I am no meat grinder expert, but it looks like it's built to last.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
we bought the smallest COMMERCIAL GRADE grinder from Cabellas,not sure of the horsepower but it will grind it as fast as you can feed it.also has the sausage making attatchment with it.
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
My wife also has the kitchen aid with grinder attachment.

Just so happened a high end commercial grade grinder boogered on us doing a moose.  We did over 3/4 of what we had to grind with her kitchen aide and it worked very well.  For someone looking to do mainly deer this is how I would go!

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
I have the 1 HP model from Cabelas. I looked at the 1.5 HP but decided against it. The 1 HP has the same size feed chute as the 1.5, but cost a lot less. I have not been able to bog it down or stall it. My buddy even went and bought one after seeing mine in action a couple times.

Things I would look for if I were still in the market would be....Stainless steel, a feed chute large enough to accept larger chunks of meat (I hate having to cut the meat into little chunks just so it will fit in the grinder), ability to accept attachments if you ever decide to branch out, and a large enough motor to handle the job at hand. We make about 300# of sausage every year between me and a couple friends, and the 1 HP is plenty.

The attachments are great IMO. We added a meat mixer attachment to our arsenal last year and it makes all the difference in the world. You can also get jerky slicers, meat cubers, patty makers etc, that hook right up to it.

The .75 HP model would probably work well for what you described, but it has a smaller head which mean smaller chunks going in.

Cabelas is also known to have good customer service too.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
I've use this one from Cabelas  http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0029507516666a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=meat+grinder&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx =mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=meat+grinder&noImage=0
It's done at least 15 deer, a few mtn. goats, a couple caribou, some moose, and several black bears and it still works like a champ!  And only $100.

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
I use a # 10 hand grinder from Wal Mart. It works well for me. I don't kill a lot of deer but bring home 1 or 2 a season. I woulden't buy the high priced machine if you don't kill a lot of deer. Just my opinion
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
You can take a hand grinder and motorized it.  YOu just need a motor around 1700 rpm.  You will need to make your self a stand to anchor down motor and grinder.  Add a regular on and off switch. I did that to mine on a #12 Chop rite.  It grinds the meat with plenty of power very powerful and fast too.  Beats hand grinding 25#s by hand. Here are some pics of a grinder without a motor and also a pic of the pulley wheel you can buy.  This is the webb site I got the pics from.  I would show you mine but its put up and I would have to take it out and set it up just to photograph it.

Cost of wheel was 49.00 from this site.  If you already have at least a #12 or bigger the pulley wheel should fit.  It was made to fit a Chop Rite but guy at this store said you could modify the section where the pulley would go on the grinder.

Here is site
 http://www.texastastes.com/p37.htm

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
:scared:   Woulndnt want my hand that close to the pulley while running.  "[dntthnk]"
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
I wouldn't want my fingers near the pulley either, I'd build a gaurd for it.

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
i really appreicate all the help. i never thought of the kitchen aid with grinder attachment. my wife already has the mixer. guess i was thinking i needed something to handle more volume. i don't even know what the output is on a kitchen aid, so i guess i never thought of it as a possible grinder. thanx again, tim.
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
I used a kitchen aid for alot of years but finally burnt it up a couple of years back.  It ground alot of deer up but the last couple of years it was very tempermental and it was rough on it.  Replaced it with a dedicated grinder like Ursus has there.  It grinds better, faster, and easier to clean up.  I went to buy one about 15 years ago and my wife grumped at me.  Wish I hadn't waited so long to get one. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
did a lot of looking and reading before i bought mine off of **** , it was brand new in the box . will grind  a bunch of meat in a short while .

if you are going electric make sure it  is at least 1000 watts then it will have enough power to grind what you want . i used the sausage stuffer that came with it the first year and this fall bought a sausage stuffer $150 for 5lb sausage stuffer  good investment --- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
I hate cutting up the shanks.  Got the 1.5 cabelas after years of using a commercial Hobart.  I think the 1 hp would have been enough, but I grind all the ligaments, etc. and you need some power.

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
I got the grinder attachment for my wife's Kitchen Aid and it works great.  After butchering a deer (which for me means cutting it all into steaks and then "scrap."  I fill the freezer bags w/ water so the meat won't freezer burn.  When I thaw it, I grind it then, so it's never frozen after being grinded (which can allow freezer burn).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©