Author Topic: 2 piece take down kids bow  (Read 421 times)

Offline Minnesota Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
2 piece take down kids bow
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Merry Christmas All.  I am planning on making a couple of bows for my son and grandchild over in Tanzania.  My son is a Missionary there and has asked that I make him one to bring over when we visit next summer.  I am planning on using the sleeve style take down for my son's bow but am at a loss when it comes to the kids bow.  The sleeves seem too big for a 5 and 7 year old's hand.  I am trying to make them compact enough to fit into our larger suitcase.  I was told that a long tube (pvc) will cost considerably more to travel with.  Any ideas?

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 piece take down kids bow
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I have traveled with 7 foot rod tubes and they cost the same as checking a suitcase.

Offline Minnesota Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
Pearl, My problem is when we go over we are able to take only 2 bags apiece.  We will have 2 of our 4 bags filled with stuff they need or want over there, they are there for a 3 year term.  So anything extra costs more.  I was trying to save a little money by making the bows small enough to fit into our regular bags. I guess if I don't have to pay for the take down sleeves on the bows I can use the saved money for the extra cost for taking an extra piece (the tube).  Thanks for your input.
Bill

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
3 piece maybe?

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Bill, How is everyone doing.  Treavor here in Missouri.  Instead of using a typical take down sleeve, maybe try a brass or copper tubing handle section. Should be stout enough for a bow for the little ones and easy to make.  Hope all is going well, i am finishing a two piece osage bow myself.  I will do a little messing around with whati have here and get back to you.  Have a Merry Christmas.

treavor
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I agree with Northland Hunter. If you take a metal tube that will fit the kids hand and wittle the bow down to fit snugly within it, it should be strong enough for a kids bow. 1" or 3/4" copper could make for a good looking handle.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Minnesota Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Hay Guys, thanks for the suggestions.  Gives me alot to mull over.
Treavor, good to hear from you.  The brass tubing sounds like a good idea.  How are things down Missouri way?  Did you guys get up to Canada this fall?  Should give me a call sometime.
Bill

Offline HugeBull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Two options:

1) easiest is a tied on design, as described in one of the TBB's by Tim Baker.  No glue, no special sleeve, etc.  Just make bows and them cut em in half on an angle across the handle and tie em back together.  For kids bows this would be a piece of cake.

2) RyanO posted a fiberglass TD sleeve on another site.  I archived the pix and his description.  If you are interested, e-mail me.  Concept is very similar, cut bow in half on an angle across the handle from back to front.  Wax one side of handle good, then screw bow back together with drywall screws.  Wrap handle in fiberglass avoiding the screw heads.  When dry, take out the screws and add more fiberglass.  When complete, the waxed side should slip right out.  I have never used this myself, but after making two adult selfbows with TD sleeves, this has gotta be much easier.

Hugh in TN
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©