Author Topic: Side check on Mulberry stave?  (Read 327 times)

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Side check on Mulberry stave?
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Was axing out a bow today from a dry stave I had previously took a belly split out of, and this is what I found.

I still have a little to take off the side and may get  through it. But this is the first mulberry that I have had check through the side. Hadnt decided yet as to whether I was going to sinew back this or not. Will I be wasting my time with this one?
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side check on Mulberry stave?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Cracks like that are usually wind shakes. They can be fatal. I'd fill them with super glue and see if you can't eliminate them as you reduce the stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side check on Mulberry stave?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Thanks Pat, I have seen wind twist in oak but never in mulberry thats why I thought it may be a drying check. This was a bark on stave, got lazy and did not debark a couple.

I was wondering if I couldnt fill them with superglue. Right now it is 2" wide and these are just over 18" from center. got some thinning to do and possibly may start the taper sooner.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©