3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What sort of video would you prefer to see?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
What sort of video would you prefer to see?
« on: February 06, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
Hey guys I have a question, and I appreciate the opinions of everyone here.
I will once again be traveling to Africa to hunt and video.  The goal this trip is to produce a quality traditional hunting video.  I am currently laying out the outline for the video and cannot reach a decision as to whether to produce a typical, fun to watch hunting video with Africa as the backdrop or to make a truly educational video loaded with tips.  I could talk about how to find an outfitter, discuss things to bring...and not bring, what to expect when you get there, what to plan for financially, how to pack your gear, what gear to bring, etc., etc., etc.  Of course, there would still be plenty of hunting footage and beautiful footage of Africa, but it wouldn't be the typical bowhunting video.  I want to put a video out that folks are going to enjoy and don't want to bore everybody with too much information that might not be of interest.  Let me hear your thoughts please.  Brady

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What sort of video would you prefer to see?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
I vote for both!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
The good thing is that if I do an informative video, you can always fast forward to the "good parts" if you have been there, done that, or if you don't ever want to go to Africa, but just want to see some arrows fly.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
I love how-to's.... of any kind!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
I know it is an expensive proposition, but slow motion video of the arrow flight, impact and animal reaction is always fascinating to me. The reactions of African plains game animals are supposed to be phenominal and it would be cool to really see them.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
I'd like to see some scenery of the country,no hi 5ing like on most shows, respect for the animal taken. I'd also like to see the equipment used & the people involved. I'd like to see animals not taken like coming to water holes, stalks not successful, non game animals encountered. I'd also like to see some camp scenes, & any other things that would show the kind of country hunted & people involved. Thanks for listening. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
enjoying the hunt,having a good time,capturing what really drives us to hunt in the first place..easier said then done I know ..but it would be great...

Offline coyote Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
I'd  really like more than anything is a video of some small game hunting.   Guys just going camping and doing some stump shooting, telling stories round the campfire...     These huge big game videos are getting old....  I'll never get to hunt some far off land,   squirrels and rabbits and ground hogs  thats my kinda HUNTING..

just my .02     -yote

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
I second the concept of more footasge of non-game and even non-target animals.  I hate to watch five minutes of close-ups of a targeted animal and then see other animals on the periphery following the shot.  I want to see the big picture.

I do not see why you couldn't shoot raw footage with both concepts in mind and then let the quality of the footage steer you in the direction that would result in the best finished product.  If you get a lot of great hunt footage complete with well taped kills, that would direct you to a traditional hunting video.  If you get a few good kills, but a lot of outstanding scenary and camp footage, it would direct you to the "how-to."
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Brady, I would like one that is more educational, with lots of extraneous animal and sight shots, but I differ from one viewpoint.  I would rather NOT have the typical slow motion arrow hit scene, and in fact, I would prefer not even showing the impact scene.   Show a little more of what went into finding the critter after the shot.  No high fives after the shot.   Guess my view is different from most any more.
ChuckC

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by doctorbrady:
  The goal this trip is to produce a quality traditional hunting video.   Brady
I figured this part pretty much summed up his intentions. Don't figure him for a high-fiving hoot and hollar, look how great x-brand works video maker myself. If I did I would never have posted to the thread. I give the fellow ever belief he will do exactly as he says and believe him.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
I would like to see some of the pre-hunt prep. Like broadhead tuning, practice with your setup, and all the things that go into the hunt behind the scenes. These things would be educational, and when it all comes together for a harvest of your quarry, bring on the high fives if that is your true emotion at the time. Don't worry about what we all think if you are successful on your hunt, just let your true emotion show through. I get the biggest kick out of the guys that show how wound-up they get after all the hard work pays off...Thanks for doing it Trad! I'll be watching for it...Terry

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
After planning my first trip this last 8 months and asking a whole lot of questions, this is what I needed to "see" that would have helped.

How to pick the "right" hunt/PH.

Traveling smart how to's, unexpected costs, do I have to "tip" the damn custom agents to get my bows back when I land, ect.

How to choose correct gear, and then pack it.

Correct PRACTICE for Africa, out of blind- proper shot placement on plains game.
How plains game differs from North America.

Good non-hunting "day trips". I want to see the country and the people, not just hunt hard for 14 days. What else can people do?

Of course some hunting, shot placement and nature footage.

Hidden costs- tips, tracker "gifts", what wins them over, hide prep, shipping back to the US, ect...

What's expected from a good bowhunter ??

Essentially, African Bowhunts for Newbies.

Sanderlin III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Go Daddy video's
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
Brady, could yu possibly have both, the main video of the trad hunt in all its glory, then a section on the preperation etc. like some movies do giving a behind the scene look?
Gery
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
2 words
VIDEO DIARY
Start from actually packing your gear to sitting down at dinner with your PH's and friends to the bull sessions out back around the fire.  I think showing the actual hunt and not just the shooting of animals is in the interest of everyone involved.  I enjoy watching the old wensel films and seeing them shooting their bows.  There is something mystical about watching the limbs come alive and firing those arrows around.  Showcasing shooting ability and raw talent.  Make it fun and informative at the sametime and for pete sake dont edit the bloopers thats the best part.

Offline Faith In Flight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
My favorite section of any hunting video is the tips, expecially pertaining to what gear to bring, and why.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 01:56:00 AM »
Please leave out all of the silly music. It is a distraction.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
Guys,
I appreciate everybody's opinions so far.  This is definitely the best website and family of traditional archers I know.  Let me do a better job of defining my intentions.
1. I want to do a video that shows "the heart and soul" of a traditional bowhunter.  By that I mean, when we are excited, expect to see excited.  You won't get any precued "Holy Moses!" or other contrived exclamations for the camera, but you will see some folks who love making good shots on game.  I don't expect any high fiving, but the situation will unfold as it unfolds, neck hugging, happy dancing and all...but never with any disrespect to the animal who's life was taken.
2. I think kill shots are essential to making a good instrucional video.  The vitals on African game is different than on most of our North American critters, and showing proper shot placement is essential to educating future hunters.  I don't, however, intend this to be a blood and guts sort of movie.  I am not going for a gore effect, but neither do I want to seem ashamed of the actual act that culminates from a successful hunt.
3.  I intend to show a lot of African scenery and wildlife.  We actually have some non-hunting days scheduled to see other game and non game species as well as take in the African culture and countryside.  There is a lot to experience in Africa outside of shooting critters.
4.  I have been thinking a lot of detailing proper practice routines, packing, expectations, travel, finding the right PH, equipment choices, etc.  This is really where my dilema lies.  I don't know how useful, fun, and informative this would be to the average viewer.  If you guys want it, I will do it.  Like I said, you could always fast forward to the other stuff.  I spend a good deal of time answering questions to guys who are planning a trip and had a million questions of my own when I started.  If it would be beneficial, I will put it in.  I just don't want to bore anybody to death.
5. I will do my best to leave out the "silly music"   :) , but please bear with me if a little traditional African music slips in.
6.  I, too, like to hear about what equipment everyone uses, and will be sure to include some of this without sounding to much like a commercial.  
7. Katman and Dustin, I like both of your ideas very much, and will try to work them into the format.

Guys, I really appreciate each opinion.  I know that I will not be able to make everybody happy, but I want to provide a product that does a service to my friends here, while remaining true to who I am as a hunter.  The best part is, this video is going to involve several of your friends here on Tradgang.  This is really a grand experiment as most of us have never met in person.  Our relationships were developed on this site, and the work you see will have culminated from that.  Keep the input coming.  Best wishes, Brady

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
Dr. what I really want is to wish you good luck & for you to let us know how we can get your video when you get back. Thanks Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©