Author Topic: Got a few ???  (Read 273 times)

Offline buzzcut 125

• Trad Bowhunter
Got a few ???
« on: December 24, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I have fallen into this lifestyle of traditional archery....I have killed a few animals with both my Bob Lee recurve and longbow, but now i just gotta see if i can make a bow and take it to the woods and get the job done. First question, i have three big osage trees in my back yard. All three have good looking branches that i could see a bow or two coming out of, but one has a main base trunk that is around 10'-12' tall and around 15"-18" around. The bark on all three is stright and there are very few knots that are visible, If i cut the big trunk down how would you guys go at it from there. How many times would you split it? I have the Bowyers Bible but it is alot to take in, just thought i would ask a few questions on here to get me headed on the right path. Also, is osage a good wood to start with or would you recommend me starting with something else? Thanks in advance folks.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got a few ???
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Before you tackle a big tree I would suggest you take a hike in the woods and look around for some smaller trees like 6-8" diameter to get you started. Pick a straight one if you can.

If you cut them during the growing seasons the bark will be much easier to come off. Many woods will make a fine bow-Hickory, hackberry, osage, white oak etc.

Once you get some practice you may want to try the larger trees but they are much more of a task due to size & weight especially without committed helpers.

Another option would be to start with just a few of the branches on the osage in your back yard.

One more option that you should consider is getting a bow blank that you can start working on right away while your cut wood is drying. Good luck!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Post some pics of your trees and I am sure some will tell you if it is worth your time in cutting them down or not.

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Yea go find something smaller first. With that much wood there will be ALOT of work to do that needs doing fairly quickly. Splitting, sealing and getting it out of the elements. I don't know if taking the sapwood off right away is needed if you leave the bark on but still thats a big job for one guy. Of course there may be other bowyers in the area willing to help for a share of the wood. I wish I was closer myself.
Proud to be "regressing"

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Before you do anything with those trees, read the book 'Hunting the Osage Bow' by Dean Torges. He walks you through making an osage selfbow from beginning to end. I made my first few bows with only this book for instruction and they were all successful.

Osage.... growing clear, and straight, in your YARD!?! ...you lucky DOG!!! That just ain't even right.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
I second Dean's book. It is the definitive guide to cutting, proper stave handling and osage bow making.

I ruined some mighty fine osage by not treating some freshly cut staves properly. By following Dean's advice I haven't lost a single stave to bugs or excessive checking.

Offline buzzcut 125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks guys, im really pumped about getting into this new "hobby" as my wife calls it. thanks for all the help i will keep yall posted on my progress.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©