Author Topic: double loop string question  (Read 261 times)

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
double loop string question
« on: December 25, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Thought this might be a better place to ask this than in the powwow.
Is it possible to make a double loop flemish string?  I can make double loop and I can make flemish, but I was wondering if there is a way to make a double loop flemish?
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: double loop string question
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Sure.
I'd say that probably most Flemish strings are made with two loops. I only use a single loop when I'm making a bow and using the same string as the brace height goes from loose to proper height.
The second loop is made exactly like the first. You'll want to add the appropriate length when you cut the strands and also put in some backtwist before doing the second loop. Too complicated to really explain details here. The Doin' The Twist DVD will get you there.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I think most flemish strings are made with only one loop and a timber hitch or bowyers knot on the other.  At least thats the way I make mine.  When I say double loop, I mean an endless loop type string.  What I want to know is if there is a way to braid in the loop on the bottom of the string.  The loop usually goes on the top of the bow and the bowyers knot on the bottom.
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Most Flemish strings are made with two loops. You just make a second loop instead of using a timber hitch. Watch someone do it or get a video. Its easy to do but hard to explain in print.

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
All mine are "double looped" in that I have a jig to cut lenths the correct size for the nock to nock measurement and I form the same loop for each end and twist to adjust the length. Jig plans are all over the place and simple to make.
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by TroyH:
When I say double loop, I mean an endless loop type string.  What I want to know is if there is a way to braid in the loop on the bottom of the string.  
I imagine this could be done. You could do an endless string and only serve the eye in one end. Cut the strands on the other end and you could twist them into a loop just as is done on a Flemish string. Figuring the measurements would probably mean a couple wasted strings but it could be done.
But really, Flemish strings with two loops are very common and easy to do. I don't see why not just make one of those.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©