Author Topic: Bandsaw blades keep coming off NEED HELP !!!!!!  (Read 624 times)

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Bandsaw blades keep coming off NEED HELP !!!!!!
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
The roller guide vs phenolic blocks thread got me to thinking.  Has anyone ever used coco for replacing the phenolic blocks since it's a hardwood and it's oily.  

Just a thought.

Shawn

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bandsaw blades keep coming off NEED HELP !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
I had a VERY good woodworker show me his set up oneday. I was so excited to get to talk to a PRO about tuning a saw that I was dumbfounded when he said to throw out the stock blocks and cut some nice hard MAPLE squares.
coco might be better.
I did get my old beat up 14" to cut real nice with cool blocks. I could peel a veneer you could almost see thru.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Thanks Chuck. That's better on the pocket book than buying a new bandsaw. Mine is a old hand me down 10 inch craftsman from the 80's.

Shawn

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
This helps,I kinda liked the book better, same guy and title.

Good luck.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
Ok I watched a few videos on you tube and went out and started from ground zero with tuning my bandsaw.  I made sure the wheels were coplaner and got them back in alignment.  So we are good to go there.  

Next I put new blade on and put the correct amount of tension on it for the timberwolf blade.  I spun it slowly with my finger and noticed that the blades still track to the front of the wheels.  This is without any of the bearings or phenolic blocks touching the blade.  

Could this be because the tires are worn out ??? they look to be in bad shape due to old age (1975) They are rounded over and I'm pretty sure there the original tires from when my grandpa bought it in 1975.  Its a craftsman 12 inch saw.  

I really dont want to buy a new one being that one was passed down to me.  I looked on line and found the new tires for 12.49 each.  

Wondering what the experts think about my situation here.  is this why my blades are popping off.  At first I thought it was because the phenolic blocks had to much tension on them.

Thanks Shawn

Offline 8Charles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
Did you try getting the blades to track before adding final tension.  I have a Sears and had a similar problem.  I would tension the blade then try to make final tracking adjustment.  When I would turn the tracking as tight it would go the blade walked towards the front.  In my situation the tension was so strong the tracking adjusment would not let me turn it any further.  Thus the blade walked toward the front.  When I tried again, I did not apply final tension.  Turned it by hand (unplugged) and adjusted tracking to the center of the wheel.  Once it was tracking properly, I applied final blade tension and have not had a problem. At least thats how I remember doing it.

Goodluck

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
Yes I have tried that and it still walks to the front.   It doesnt matter if its a 1/2 inch timberwolf or an1/8 el cheapo.  Its been walking to the front.

Maybe its time to break down and buy the Grizzly 0555

Shawn

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
Something must be wrong. I have noticed on older saws that the top wheel can hang up abit and then it will pop and send off your tracking.
I am thinking that your tires may be worn to the point that they will not track while in coplaner.
The wheels may need to be out of alignment to track, If you can get tires for $12 I would start there,get two. Unless you really want a $400 saw.( they are nice,I have one for my small saw).
A wise man told me once,"the cheapest car to drive is the one in the driveway"  Meaning,$25 for tires and MAYBE some bearings someplace,you got $50 into your saw and it works fine for you.
Longways from $400. Food for thought.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
You might check the bearing on the bottom wheel, maybe it is a little loose, allowing the wheel to tip enough to track from there also?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
What Kenny said. If it's not the bearing then more than likely it's a worn shaft. Or the retaining clip has pop off the rear of the shaft allowing it to more forward. Either way, sounds like you're in for some type of overhaul.......Art

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Everything A's far A's bearings go are tight and clean. I can the wheels freely and A's far a I can see with a plumb string next to them I'm all lined up and tracking well.  But when the blade goes on it doesn't even get one rotation and it's tracking towards the front.  That leads me to think it's the tires, or the shaft on the back side of the wheel maybe out of whack.  

I hear ya chuck and believe me I'm cheap like that.  But a new grizzly 0555 would be nice.  

Thanks Kenny and Art I'll check it

Shawn

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Had the same problem with my Sears saw Shawn. Lower wheel shaft was worn out under the front bearing. Did you check for play with the tension off the lower wheel? After I replaced that the rear retaining clip wouldn't stay on the new shaft. Blade moved forward as the shaft moved forward. Maybe check that retaining clip too.

Offline redlabel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
I had the same problem on my sears 12 inch and new tires took care of the problem

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Isnt there an allen screw for fine tuning? I have a 1980s 12 inch craftsman saw but have never had trackin probems. My tires are rounded  and blade runs inn center. I havnt adjusted tracking in at least a year,but I dont use my saw as much as you use yours. I adjust the cool blocks every use

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
There's not any play in the wheels when tensioned.  I think we all have it down to the tires.  I'll order two new ones and wait for them to come in and go from there.  In the mean time I guess I can go HUNTING.  Thanks y'all.

Shawn

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Come on now, you really want a reason to buy a new saw, don't you!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
I looked at my saw tonite, the only adjustment I have had to do for tracking is the screw in the middle of the top wheel. I hope the tires are all you need to get going again..of course a spare saw can be a good thing too.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Ah come on Shawn, go for a new one:) New toys are neat... LOL

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=420000

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
Yep Roy I'm Back and forth with a few of them.  I need to sit down and compare the 0580, 0555, and the 0555P.  

I put casters on mine so I can roll it outside on my driveway and keep the garage somewhat clean (real meaning wife happier)    

Shawn

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
For what it is worth, when you look at the Grizzly, look at the Polar Bear Series.  I brought a thickness sander and a band saw two years ago, and when we compared the two with the sales rep at Grizzly, the parts list is exactly the same, number for number.  The only difference is the new paint color they tried, and the price is a lot lower for the exact same item.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©