Author Topic: Now a crack!!! Found my ring :) Going to try some Osage?  (Read 496 times)

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Now a crack!!! Found my ring :) Going to try some Osage?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Coaster,

Like Kelly suggest, you can check the weight easily with a cheap digital scale.  I bought mine for about $15 at Harbor Freight.  At our store you have to ask for them because the drugies steal them to weigh their dope.  Probably a moisture meter would be better.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
Crack won't hurt it at all.  I have had them spilt all the way down the middle and still make an excellent bow.  As for chasing rings, when unsure take your draw knife and use it as a scraper at 90 degree angles to the wood with some pressure.  The earlywood will melt away like dust, while the latewood will hold up nicely.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
David I got a scale and will start to weight my staves..

michaelschwister, I started using my draw knife that way about 2/3rds of the way down the stave. That really works great!!!

It's roughed out, resealed ends and back and in the rack to dry a bit more...

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©