Author Topic: Glass/Maple Build Along Experiment  (Read 302 times)

Offline WILL CAROTHERS

• Trad Bowhunter
Glass/Maple Build Along Experiment
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
I Just bought some glass cloth and West System Epoxy. I've Always wanted to do a build along, so here it goes. I had a leftover piece of bad grained, hard maple.  I floor tillered the board, and started the glue up.

Offline WILL CAROTHERS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glass/Maple Build Along Experiment
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
The Maple is 72 inches long by 1.5 inches. The limbs are floor tillered and are ~.5 inches thick. The glue up went well, and the instructions say that every hour or so, you can put another coat on to fill the weave and make it completely clear. This epoxy is the same used on cedar strip canoes, so expect to get good results (Customer service also said that these products had been used by one of the big name bowyers, didnt say who)

Offline WILL CAROTHERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »

Offline milehi101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
I have used the west system on several bows with great success.  I have also used the 207 hardener on canoes as well as bows.  I have also used their 206 hardener with wood and do not see much difference in the finish. I liked to use the 2 inch 4 oz tape instead of having to cut the glass cloth into strips.  I am sure if you talked to West systems they told you you need a U V protective finish put on over the cloth

Offline WILL CAROTHERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
They did, and thats the tape i used

Offline statikpunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
I did this with a kids bow I made for my nephew. I didn't use west systems, I used glass cloth and epoxy resin from home depot.  but I was well pleased with it and have played with the idea of using it on my next bow.
did either of you use more than one layer of cloth on your backs?  or is one enough for a full size hunting weight bow?

here is a pic of my nephew with his bow

james  by  statikpunk , on Flickr

Offline milehi101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
I have used 2 layers of glass tape on the back of bows that were lighter than I wanted I have also used the tape on the belly and back of the bow with good results.  I think one of the important things is to use a slow dry hardener so it drys slow and has time to penetrate into the wood.

Offline WILL CAROTHERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Im not sure, but im using 1 layer to be sure that the belly isn't overpowered, but i did it on a test stip of pine, and with one layer, it didnt break until it was past a 90 degree angle, so i think one layer is sufficient.

Offline statikpunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
thanks guys..for the kids bow I just wanted to keep it from breaking and being a hazard, so it worked out great. Im really gonn ahve to try it for myself too

Offline WILL CAROTHERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
When u do it, try to get a wood thats really good in compression, since the glass is really tension strong and can possibly overower it. Im sure that ipe would work, as well as hard maple, sherry might do well, but only if its well tillered

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©