Author Topic: Spar over Tru-Oil  (Read 428 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Spar over Tru-Oil
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
I don't know that I'll do it but can Spar be applied over tru oil?  ...   Just seems that Tru-Oil in not as strong a finish as far a protection.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spar over Tru-Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
I've used spar urethane over tru-oil a number of times with good results.

><>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Tru Oil will let you put almost anything over it. Tru Oil alone is pretty tuff stuff if you put 4-8 coats on. The last few bows I built last month where dipped in a 3" pvc tube full of Helmsman. You want to see a solid, perfect, bullet proof finish? Try that method. A single dip per limb is plenty thick and looks wonderful.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Thanks Igor   :)  

Chris, how do you keep it from running and how do you hang it to dry?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
I dip half the bow and hold it over the tube until the dripping slows down. Then I hang it on a clothes line with a spring clamp in my shop to dry for two days. Then flip it over and do the same. No runs, no smears and a super thick, durable finish is the result. I figure about $5.00 a bow if you use good stuff like Zip Gaurd or Helmsman.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Chris,
Did you thin the Helmsmen with anything?
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Nope. It all runs right off the limb tip Walt. I just break that little bead of dried urethane off the tips. I have found the KEY to dipping bows is pulling the bow back out VERY slowly so the "run's" cant even start. I have a friend who did a little test of dipped urethanes on wood and he says Zip Gaurd is the only finish that survived 7 days under running water in a creek. Helmsman was a very close second and more than usable.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I've done the same as Pearl with great results. I have noticed that spar results in a little thinner coat than urethane, for those who may want a thinner finish. The spar dries faster also. I also wet down the floor and use a tack cloth on the bow before dipping.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Hmmmmmm? Better get going on selling those bow dipping tubes then!  ;)
Got wood? - Tom

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Sure can Kip. I use Tru-oil to fill the pores in the riser. And, on glass bows, I run a coat or two down the limb edges, because it soaks in a bit. I figure that might help keep moisture out if the limb edge gets dinged a bit. A little sanding, after the last coat, and spar goes right over it with no problems. lol
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Does the thickness of the finish affect limb speed much?  I have to refinish some limbs on a takedown longbow I have and am starting to do some research.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
I often do like BWD stated using Tru Oil on exposed wood and then spar.  If you do a couple coats of gloss spar and then switch to satin it gives it a deep but non-shiny look.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©