3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow Finsh?  (Read 390 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow Finsh?
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
I have a set of Australian "Silverwood"  Arrow Shafts That i need to put a finsh on, cheeply and with out any of the normal wood arrow making tools. These will be for a young collage student who is a good friend of the family, almost like an adopted son. He took a archery class as an elective and fell in love with it. I picked him up a long bow, back quiver and a dozen arrow for xmas. He has already been to a couple of shoots and joined a club where he goes to school.

Any way is there somthing i can just spray on that will work?

He is running low on arrows and does not have a lot of spair change to buy arrows with.

O by the way archery in the schools has scored another one, the way he is going at ill bet he is hooked for life.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Wood arrow Finsh?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Most hardware stores sell a combination stain/varnish that you can apply with a rag.  I think Minwax (U.S. product) has one for example.  That works well.  Can also just hand apply a few coats of linseed oil.  Give it a few days to dry thoroughly.  It will keep out most of the moisture.  If he's a new shooter, he'll probably break and/or lose them before they succumb to the elements.  Good luck.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
Orion is correct.. Minwax makes a "one step" product that will work fine.

Most hardware stores should carry it. I know that Lowes and HDepot sell the Minwax product.

III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Spar urethane - wipe it on with a piece of an old t-shirt.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
Tongue oil works great also. A little stain applied first, then wipe the tongue oil on, wait 5 mins and wipe it off. 2 or 3 coats is plenty.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Tru-oil works good for me.  Stain first, then wipe on the tru-oil, let dry, buff with steel wool, apply another coat, etc.  I usually use about 3 or 4 coats.  Lots of folks use Watco Danish Oil.  They say it penetrates into the wood and no stain is needed.  I ain't tried it yet, but when I use up what tru-oil I have on hand, I'm gona' give it a try.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
Good going Pops!!
Like SuperK said; Tru Oil is terrific-easy to apply and waterproof.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Thanks Guys ill see if i can get some put together for him. Right now he can only shoot on week days when he is not training. He is a poll valter and a triathlete he is trying to make the 08 olimpics in China.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
I like the Minwax Fast Dry Poly oil base, so suspect the Minwax combo finishes would be good as well.  Minwax also makes a water base polyurethane that works very well, dries quick and doesn't stink.  I'd recommend a minimum of three coats for arrows.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 03:45:00 AM »
I really like PARAFFIN, cheap, easy, easy to touch up,  if need straitening heat can be used for both the finish and the shaft, and it's the slickest arrow to pull out of targets.
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 05:06:00 AM »
bullet proof them and use the massey finish!

fletch with fletch tape and glue your nocks on with duco.

If you have the time it's the best finish going.  it's definatly however not for the impatient or someone in a hurry for whatever reason.  I sped the drying time up a little bit using a buddy heater and jacking the temp up in my bow room quite a bit trying to set it off faster.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©