Author Topic: Help me eyeball my R/D tiller (Updated...went static)  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me eyeball my R/D tiller (Updated...went static)
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »

How does it look? It's at a 5" brace and pulled to 21".

When are the mid limbs going to finally give up and start bending????

All comments appreciated.
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me eyeball my R/D tiller (Updated...went static)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
It's hard to say completely without a resting and braced photo as well. For what I see it is bending to much right out of the fades. Both limbs look stiff just shy of mid limb.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Im no R/D wizz, but that looks like permanent damage to those fades to me? The mids are dead flat and I think maybe that going to 21" already wasnt a good thing. As Keenan said, get those mids moving before you pull that far again or you will loose all your "R" and be left with a bunch of "D".

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Ok Im not gonna lie, I cringed when I saw that pic. You gotta get something bending besides the fades before you pull it any farther. Start scrapin wood off from the hinges out and you should be able to get em worked out. Might take quite a bit of scrapin before you see any difference. Take 10- 15 scrapes off each limb, exercise it and and check it and then do it again until the midlimbs start movin. Not sure how much weight you are goin for so it may come in a little lighter than you wanted. It would help to see an unstrung pic to see what kind of r/d profile it has.  :)

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Yea I cringed at that pic too. FAR too much going on near the fades and you are definatly going to have a light bow when all said and done. I floor tiller it when real heavy and make sure I see movement all across the limbs before putting a long string on and that is only for a short time to verify the bending and bring poundage down some. Once I'm happy tiller isn't too far off I move onto brace height and really pay attention and go slow.
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
My first r/d ende up being 30# at 20"

Good luck with it they are tuff to tiller
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
R/D bows are tough to tiller the first time, but I noticed the handle doesn't look like you're doing a R/D bow. It looks like a stiff/straight handled bow. Maybe that threw you off?
Got wood? - Tom

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
James Parker of Huntworthy Productions taught me to tiller a true R/D from the tips inward, which is generally backwards of, say, an American flatbow.  It helps to prevent the very circumstance you find yourself in.  It's much easier to catch up the inner 1/3 of a bow's limb than the outer 2/3.  Hope that helps some.  :)
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
When I tiller r/d bows, I expect and watch for the reflex to start coming out of the outer limb area first. As that begins to happen, I then expect to see the mid limb area begin to bend and so forth right into the fade area. I guess just like 4est described.

But however you tiller a wooden bow, one thing you need to keep in mind is that you do not want the limbs bending too much in any one area. Looking at you picture above, tells me your limbs were way too stiff to start with. Floor tillering first would help prevent your situation. You may as well keep going for expeirence and see how the bows turns out.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
How 'bout an unbraced side and back pic. Your tiller could be dead perfect or dead wrong. Without those other profiles all we can do here is speculate.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
What profile would require that tiller Artsy?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Prolly one of them WV hill billy bows:)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
It's pretty common for R/D bows to look really hingy at the fades at first.  Just keep working from midlimb on out.  She'll come around.

Depending on how much deflex there is at the handle, it's possible the near handle wood isn't bending at all.  Get an unbraced pic up here so we can help some more.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »

Unbraced. Hope this helps.

I know most of you guys "cringed" but honestly i'm not too worried about it. I don't think it's hinged at the fades....yet!

Thanks for the advice fellas. I like the idea of working from the tips, inward.
KennyM Swap bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the pic BK.

I thought maybe there might be a couple slight natural kinks coming out of the fades. Honestly, I think you're pretty close to where you need to be. That's a very quick design, maintaining it could be problematic because of your srtaight back handle and sharp fades.

More bending mid-limb and you could lose the lever effect you now have. A real balancing act for sure.

Oh Pearly, that profile you asked about would be similar to that world record flight bow sitting on my wall. Gifted to me by Steve Gardner (Badger) and shown on Page 103 of the TBB4.   :goldtooth:

We like our bows fast Roy Bob!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
I was actually serious this time Artsy. I was curious what the width profile would need to look like. I dont have TBB4......boo

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Limbs would need to be pyramidal IMO Pearly. That would help reduce limb weight outside the bending area.

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
These limbs are pyramid, 2" wide @ the fades, and flat growth rings that allow the back to be perfectly flat. This is why i'm not concerned about how it looks at the moment. I'm pretty sure this bow will be able to take a lot of strain. I hope. Thanks for the pointers, i'll post another when I get a chance to scrape on it some more.
KennyM Swap bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
Unbraced profile doesn't look bad at all. I can see why the braced drawn profile looks like it does. Just get some bend in them limbs:)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
What kind of weight is it holding at that 21"?
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©