Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46409 times)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #1080 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
D what glue did you glue it on with. Some have a temp release and that might be faster then grinding.
Heck I would shoot it and see. If it is like checks in self bows if you super glue them they don't grow from what I have seen and be told.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1081 on: February 14, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I used urac so no heat reversing there.  Like I said if it was for me I wouldn't worry about it and play it by ear but since its my swap bow I'm not going to do that to somebody.  Just not my style.  I've got access to an electric hand planner that would make the process go a lot faster.  I may use that to get it close then sand the rest.  Thanks for the help everybody.  I love the look of boo backed bows but sometimes I just want to throw it down and never pick it back up again.  lolol I always go back to it though. hehehehehe.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1082 on: February 14, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Okay, I took the first stave out of the caul and cleaned it up some.  The limb that had the roller coaster heat straightened pretty good.  At lease the are both about even.

Kelly, I'm gonna start out with the knotty snakey stave.  I'm expecting some help here from everyone.  I aslo skinned some backing material today.  They should be dry by the time the bow is ready.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1083 on: February 14, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Nice start David, skins look great.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1084 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
Living_waters: Glad you got the package and all made it safely. The bow sock was an added bonus  :) . Glad to see it shoots well for you. I hesitated sending it because it shot so well for me too but then again that was affirmation that it was a sender!  So says my wife haha. Hope it serves you well and hopefully it is short enough to fit in a blind come turkey season  ;)
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1085 on: February 14, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Man David those look great. I need to go and find some of those copperheaded fellows.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1086 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Awesome skins
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1087 on: February 15, 2012, 04:41:00 AM »
yep, them copperhead skins are gonna make some pretty backings.......
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1088 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Love those skins and what they do for a bow  :)

You're on your way David!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1089 on: February 15, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Goose Gossett:
Living_waters: Glad you got the package and all made it safely. The bow sock was an added bonus   :)  . Glad to see it shoots well for you. I hesitated sending it because it shot so well for me too but then again that was affirmation that it was a sender!  So says my wife haha. Hope it serves you well and hopefully it is short enough to fit in a blind come turkey season   ;)  
Goose I just knapped a thin Burlington Chert point that is almost 2" wide just for a special arrow for this bow. Already envisioning this bow being with me just north of Mountain Home in my favorite high pasture field overlooking the white river this spring.
The sock is awesome, but it may be the catalyst for a little intense fellowship with the little lady. She loooved it so much, she has decided I need one for all my bows. She doesn't sew and I hate sewing, so her demands puts this in the same category as the last piece of trim in my daughters room... something that in her book is more important than making another bow or more arrows.   :banghead:    :biglaugh:
Seriously, amazing package, thin handle makes it feel like a precise surgical tool, fitting for the way it shoots.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1090 on: February 15, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Ok I had to make a last min game time decision for my trade bow # 2 attempt.  Glued her up this morning and hope to have some pics of her soon    

I went with a piece Ziricote BURL riser block and boo cores and black glass in the core as well and I figured I had better not go with the tonkin cane green stained veneers so I went with just some plain ol bocote.  

Shawn

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1091 on: February 15, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Them there copperheads are plentiful in NE Ark in the spring and fall.  Got to watch where your s stepin when your a huntin.  :scared:  

The two long ones are both about 35".  The little snake on the left is a cotton mouth.  Hard to find a cotton mouth long enough for a limb but I use them on the handle wraps sometime.

I also skinned a "chicken" snake.  At least that's what we call them.  This one is 57".

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1092 on: February 15, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Thems some good lookin skins
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1093 on: February 15, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
Hey ********* **** here's your bow hanging out in the bathroom, rehydrating after a good belly toasting......Dan

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1094 on: February 15, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Put some skins on, I hope ******* doesn't mind scaley things!

As my little one just said "wood and string and scaley things, thats what little bows are made of".
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1095 on: February 15, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
some great work being done by all! Nope I don't mind skins.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1096 on: February 15, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
It's time to start attempt#4 for this swap. !1 came in a couple pounds under , so I get to keep it. Not bad, because I like it.
 #2 was looking great, an Ash Hlomgard, till I sliped and had to peel off to much to get things back in order. So I get to keep a 40# Homgard. I might try to shorten the levers and see if I can buy myself a few pounds, but I will not get 10 by doing this. It will make a good loaner, or a donation to some  young lad.
 #3 I got busy on today. Another Hop Hornbeam. Thinge were going good, and I see a gouge in the limb about 8" from the tip. I decided I should have 1 continuous ring on the back and that is where things went south. That little gough went thru 4 rings!! Now it is destined to be another light bow. I am going to try to shorten it up and see what happens, but I am not to hope full at this time. looks like another youth bow or possibly it can be a Penobscott??.

So it's back to the stash to pick out another stave.I like the Hop Hornbeam, but the tight close growth rings are a real chalenge if you mess up and have to chase a bew back on the bow.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1097 on: February 15, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I hate those skins unless they're commin to me!!!

Don't have the eyes to chase a ring on those white wood staves Pete...  You've got the patience of Job I think I'd have backed 2 or 3 and called them a bow   :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1098 on: February 15, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Great looking bows! I like snake skins too!  :bigsmyl:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1099 on: February 15, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Nice looking bows guys.
  Mine should have arived today or it will tomorrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©