Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46411 times)

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #1100 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Sorry about your bad luck Pete.  At least you got a couple of bow for yourself out of it.

Great looking skins.  When I first got into trad shooting I didn't like skins much but now that Ive got some years into it I really like them.

I got the cracked boo grined off the bow a little bit ago.  Got the new boo thinned down and glued it on.  She cooking right now at the moment.  Wait and see what she looks like tomorrow.

Funny side note, since this is try number three and the second piece of boo on that one...I've managed to almost use a whole can of Urac trying to get one bow. lolol

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1101 on: February 15, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Keenan cured my apprehension toward skins on a bow last year!

"Sticks and strings and scaly things!" Man, I like that young'un's thinkin'!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1102 on: February 16, 2012, 02:25:00 AM »
I like the diamonds Dennis
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1103 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by adeeden:

As my little one just said "wood and string and scaley things, thats what little bows are made of".
I love it!   :thumbsup:  

Great looking bows everyone. Although I have yet to build my first bow this is one of my must read threads every time I log on to this site. Keep up the great work!

Dan

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1104 on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by D:
I got the cracked boo grined off the bow a little bit ago.  Got the new boo thinned down and glued it on.  She cooking right now at the moment.  Wait and see what she looks like tomorrow.

Funny side note, since this is try number three and the second piece of boo on that one...I've managed to almost use a whole can of Urac trying to get one bow. lolol
D-
That crack was between fibers on the boo.  One of the things about boo is that it splits along the grain really easy, but it doesn't affect it's strength in tension at all.  (A piece of rope can be seperated down its length a ways too, but that doesn't mean you can't pull on it and need to throw it away.)  Since the crack wasn't going off the edge and was along the grain, I wouldn't have touched it.  Super gluing it would probably help keep it from going much further, but I'd bet it already went as far as it was gonna.  The internal shear stresses had already relieved themselves.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1105 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Gonna start slowly exercising the limbs on my trade bow, toasted the belly real good last Sunday, been hanging in the bathroom rehydrating since then.  Hopefully all I need to do is tweak the tiller and reduce the weight slightly....Dan

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1106 on: February 16, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
Here's a peek at my trade bow before it hits the Post Office... This is my 8th bow and my second crack at Yew. The stave had a little flip at on end and some natural deflex... I matched the flip on the other end and tried to heat treat the deflex out but after about 100 or so arrows it came back to its original deflex. With the bow resting on its belly the tips make a straight line against the back of the handle wrap. The handle is braided hemp string soaked in a watered down tb3 solution and the shelf is antler. The tips are poplar and I noticed some sand marks I missed, Argggg. Old eyes what can ya say.

Again my member has some Big Shoes to please, Big Shoes...  I hope he is pleased.

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1107 on: February 16, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Very nice, Kip. Someone will be pleased!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1108 on: February 16, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1109 on: February 16, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Thanks Pat I used your tb3 recipe for the grip  :)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1110 on: February 16, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Kip, that was Stiks that uses TBIII. I use Massey finish for grips...but it is still a nice bow and grip! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1111 on: February 16, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Opps got my teachers mixed up sorry Stiks   :knothead:

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1112 on: February 16, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Here is an update on the work in progress on what may turn out to be my trade bow. Still plenty of time so I may start another few projects & send the best shooter.

65'' NTN.  This photo is drawn to 20''. Still some tweaking to do but its going well so far. Shot it with a short draw 22-24'' 40x yesterday. The upper limb is 1'' longer and needs lighlty touched up but really happy with how its shooting. Tiller is 1/4'' positive measured 12'' from the nocks.

Going to heat treat the limbs and let it rest for several days, fine tune it and finish it up.

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1113 on: February 16, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Lookin good guys I'm still looking for time to start tillering.  It drives me crazy to leave a bow for too long un tillered,  maybe today after work... or during!     :bigsmyl:
Javier

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1114 on: February 16, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
I took mine down some and gave it the first round of heating this morning.  Such a nice stave until I found a few cracks.  They came out, but I had to change profiles a bit.  Still no big deal.  The stave didn't agree with my plans.  What a surprise.  :rolleyes:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1115 on: February 16, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Kip, I love that yew bow!  Did you put any color on it or is that the natural wood color?  

I have never played with any yew.  Not any that I know of very close to me but may be working on a trade with a couple fellow tradgangers.  How do you like it?

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1116 on: February 16, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
David Yes it is stained....I know it's almost a crime but when you decrown the back of a Yew bow and stain it the patterns go nuts...  This bow is the second I have decrowned and at 30 rings per inch they both seen very strong without backing. I put well over 100 arrows thru it and the back is smooth as a babys *7^% ? The stain is from home depot and is called expresso in the little sample packs?

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1117 on: February 16, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
Very cool bow!

Offline 1025 vs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1118 on: February 16, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
I have a camera. Now I just have to learn to use it. My trade bow is not even floor tillered yet, so I can get a good record of my progress. Next I have to learn to post the pictures. I have a friend coming who can probably help me there too.    Rob
Don't know how I got here and don't know where i'm going, but life is grand.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1119 on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Some great looking bows are being made. Today I will start another one. I did think of a way to salvage some of my feather weights. PENOBSCOTT    :)
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©