Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46443 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #1140 on: February 17, 2012, 02:51:00 AM »
Congrats kenny.  It wasnt espn this time like it was with yours, I just knew pat had the only bow in the mail.  Maybe you should join us in the elk hunt this year.  I would if I was you.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1141 on: February 17, 2012, 04:01:00 AM »
Now that right there is what I love about the swap.

wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Kenny opened that tube up.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1142 on: February 17, 2012, 04:46:00 AM »
Kenny, you are a lucky guy to get such a beauty. Well done Pat.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1143 on: February 17, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
Congrat's Kenny,,, Pat makes a sweet selfbow and I really like the graphics on your new bow!!!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1144 on: February 17, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
She ain't never said that about one of mine!

I wonder why? :)  LMAO

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1145 on: February 17, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Roy, now I'm all hurt again........  :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1146 on: February 17, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
Well Congrats on a great bow Kenny. That put us around 10% complete.

Coaster I marked you as shipped. Just when you think man I get a break from looking for the mail man another bow is out there on it's way to it's new home.

Well I tell you the bar only gets higher. Great job all keep up the great work.

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1147 on: February 17, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
I had some chattering with a draw knife trying to shave a little at the fades and put a little gouge in it.     :knothead:    Now I'm sanding out the gouge and hoping I don't loose to much weight or I will have to put a belly lam on there.  

How does Maple do for a thin belly lam, any one know?  Just in case.
Javier

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1148 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Fine tuning the recurve today, shot it about 60x & tillered out to 28'', made it through 100 shots so far over the past two days. It started out with 1/2" natural deflex before tillering and fresh after unstringing its at 1 1/4'' which was the same as yesterday. I may not heat treat the belly on this since I have plenty of weight and set appears minimal overall. I think a few more touches on the outer limbs & do some finish work.

Seems like most of the modern fiberglass recurves have deflex built in so it my thinking is a little deflex/set may be a good thing on a recurve with deep curves.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1149 on: February 17, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Ok Page 77 And I'm just getting started. Got a yew sapling stave roughed out and a bunch of heat correcting done on the caul. Also roughed in a Cascara character stave. Roughed out fairly straight ERC as well. Looked over a nice Guava stave and a couple osage staves.... What direction should I go?  :rolleyes:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1150 on: February 17, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Doesn't matter Keenan, they all will look good..

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1151 on: February 17, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Keenan, they all sound interesting. What's cascara? I can't say I ever heard of it. I never used to look at a tree, any kind of tree, without seeing boards, but now I can't help but wonder if it would make good bow wood.
I cut and planed bamboo backing and cut core lams and power lams for the two risers I built a few days ago. Now all I need is some material for the belly lams and for the Urac I ordered to get here so I can get them built. My first bow needs only finishing and I'm hoping for some better weather so I don't have to stink up the house. BTW, does anyone know if Tru Oil can be found in Canada? They can't ship it here from the U.S.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1152 on: February 17, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Keenan,
Make them all and send them to me. I will shoot them and send the best one to your bowyer and just keep the rest so you don't have a bunch of extra bows laying around.   :bigsmyl:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1153 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Kelly, ya better like carp skins....    :laughing:

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1154 on: February 17, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
fish, snake, ole grummpies from PA skins it all the same on a bow.   :help:    :biglaugh:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1155 on: February 17, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
LOL

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1156 on: February 17, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Ya know theres a point where I just wanna throw my hands up and to heck with it.  I swear I had try number four tillered all the way to 28".  It had been exercised  around a thousand times from 22" down to 28" and thats no exageration, not all at one time just through tillering it tonight.  By the math it was gaining 2.05 pounds per inch and that put me at two pounds over weight.  I was gonna let that work itself down by shooting it in.  That infamous POP about made me sick.  I was just about to go get the camera and take a pic of it on the tree and finally post a picture of some progress but nope, no chance of that.  I know its a natural product and this stuff just happens but I have never had this much bad luck building a bow.  Sorry for whinning

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1157 on: February 17, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
David that is a bummer. Looks like she was a very nice bow. You are right it is part of the process and it happens to all of us when building wood bows. I have some nice bamboo slats and have thought about doing another boo backed bow but my last run of boo backed bows ended much like yours. Since I tend to fall in love with the bows befor completion it is allot like a failed relationship for me and I have a hard time getting my heart engaged again.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1158 on: February 17, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
D, I feel your pain and have had the same thing happen too many times. I'm about ready to hang up the bamboo backing trip..

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1159 on: February 17, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks Roy,,,,,,,BTW got some Carp skin on the way  :scared:  
Wood, Cascara is also known as buckthorn or Chittim, They use the bark to make Laxitives. If you want I can send you some bark   :laughing:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©