Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46471 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #1160 on: February 17, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
OMG Keenan.. LMAO Not gonna say a word here:) But ya could send Kenny M some, he's full of it too....    :laughing:

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1161 on: February 17, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Roy?? I don't understand?? Kenny is full of what?  :laughing:    :deadhorse:    :nono:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1162 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Keenan I hear ya on falling in love with them.  I could't help but grin every time I went to the tree.  I was like ten pulls away from starting to shape the riser.  

Roy I'm with ya on ditching boo.  Sort of anyway.  What else is there to use.  I have a hickory backing strip but I'm way too stubborn to let a broke piece be the last boo I do.  I just get so sick of the crap popping.  How does hickory do.  I mean I know it makes a good backing but does it hold the same draw weight.  I picture it letting the bow take more set than boo.  I've only done one with hickory backing (my first) and it came in way under weight.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1163 on: February 17, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
here are the pics of My mates holmegaard with salmon skins

i just love this bow.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1164 on: February 17, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
I'm going to switch to Hickory, I would say it's gotta be stronger than boo. Wayne, great bow.

Ah Keenan, it's ah, like ah, ah come on dude you know:) LMAO

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1165 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
You think hickory would be stronger??  You know way more about this than I do so I'll take your word for it.  I was looking at your tradbow pics on another post and you may have posted it when you was building it but how long was it?

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1166 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Another tough break David, looked nice. Can it be repaired or salvaged at all?

Really cool bow Wayne, that style is on my try to build list.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1167 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Sporthunter yeah I'm gonna grind that boo off and put another on..again...It may end up being too light though.  I maybe just start all over.  Or I may just hire someone on here that can actually manage to make a bow and pay them to let me put my name on it and ship it..lolol then go outside and burn my bowshed to the ground. lolol  I know thats a little dramatic but I'm not as mad now and can joke around a little.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1168 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
LOL thanks for the offer Keenan, but we eat a lot of roughage here in the Great White North and things tend to move along quite well! I'll bet it makes a smooth shooter though. :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :deadhorse:  
D, that looked like a nice bow. Is there any way to repair or salvage it?
Wayne, it might be the perspective in the picture but that Holmgaard looks like a real mammoth killer.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1169 on: February 17, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Wayne I like the looks on those skins. May have to switch over to salmon fishing.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1170 on: February 17, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
yup the skins are cool- and the skin is reasonably tough too. by looking at the salmon, i am gonna geuss its either pink salmon or coho that have been river caught, as they are starting to change colour. but nicer that way  i think.
i think that the bow was only a #50- but being ash he had it a full 2" wide, he knew the tips were a little heavy- but he was just happy to have a shooter- that was his first "survivor", and only his third attempt- so i think he did exceedingly well!!
i must say roy- i prefer the looks of boo as a backing- and i like the continious fibre concept, but the hickory sure does seem to be more resilient- but man..you sure do make nice bows Roy!!
jeepers the bar is high this year- its gonna be hard to just fit in the middle somewhere!
so far there has not been a single bow that i wouldnt be proud to call my own.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1171 on: February 17, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
roy forget that hickory get into hhb or osage or like me n keenan do yew and juniper  i was makein some boo bows  nothing but a pain in my#$%% so i totaly quit makin boo bows just stick bows now  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1172 on: February 17, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Kenny just take it a little slow to start off just in case. I don't think you'll have a problem. Like I said I have her tillered out to 29" and exercised her a lot to that length, I just couldn't shoot her at 28". If your wife said "awsome" it must be. d;^)
  I don't build boo backed bows anymore either. Too much work to have the back give.   Hickory is definately more durable and if you don't like the looks, cover it. I have used snake skins and cherry bark as well as other decorations. Hickory is so easy to work with too. The only hickory backing I ever had fail was from a log that someone gave me. I took it to a friend with a portable bandsaw mill and cut the whole log into backing strips and a few belly blanks. The first bow I backed with it broke across the back.(this is when I called the TiteBond folks to find out how to make TB glue release) Only rot will do that to hickory so I burned the rest. Other than that I have never had a backing failure with hickory and I've made a bunch of them over the years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1173 on: February 17, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
Well I'm starting over.  Except for the riser that is.  Cut it up and put it in the fire.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1174 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
D, the bow you mentioned was 66 tip to tip.

Waiting on pictures, Kenny.............

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1175 on: February 18, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
I like those skins Fujimo.  Nice looking camo. They look like coho to me.  I lived up in Alaska for a while and knew a guy who would make purses and wallets with salmon skin.  Its stronger if you get them when they first start running but it looks to me like they were strong enough when you got em.  Makes me wonder how Norther Pike would do.   ONE TIME I COUGHT ONE THAT WAS THIIIIISSS BIIIIG!!!!
Javier

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1176 on: February 18, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Kenny, check the draw weight on that bow. I think my scale is off a little. It might be a bit heavier than marked.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1177 on: February 18, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
yup pike would be awesome- and have looked at them- just cant seem to get my buddies in alberta to catch any big ones- they only catch leeddle ones an' bring beeg stories!!
i have collected some halibut and ling cod skins , and i will be using them on my trade bow this year!
think you are right about the coho, alan got those skins from store bought salmon, from the lower mainland area. ytup the colour tells me they were up the river a bit, but i think the fraser is one of the few rivers where they will catch commercial in the river.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1178 on: February 18, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Alright your all a tough crowd to follow with your amazing work especially when your new at this like me! But I got my trade bow finished. It's my fith bow and only the fourth from a stave, not perfect by no means but definately my best at this point! I hope ***** can appreciate a bow from a new guy!

65 1/2 tip to tip hackberry, with Diaomand backs and lightly flipped tips.

She shoots nice even though I had a heck of a time doing it wrong handed! I got to pick up a tube this weekend and put on a new string and it should hit the mail Monday or tuesday.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1179 on: February 18, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Very nice Dennis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©