Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46501 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #1220 on: February 20, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
sorry to hear that 1025.
probably always pays to have one in the closet.
The best laid plans.....

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1221 on: February 20, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Keenan I am glad to know you got my back just let me know if you have any problems getting your bow.   :)   I only have 15 more hours before I can pick it up
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1222 on: February 20, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
1025.  I have almost finished my plan B bow.  It's plan A that I want to send.  Plan B doesnt leave until I run out of time for plan A or I finish it.  I would keep going with your plan A and also a plan B and maybe even a plan C.  Life gets in the way and bows have plans of their own sometimes.  Its best to prepare for the worst.

Some sound advice for anyone feeling overwhelmed at the speed this swap is progressing would be slow and steady.  There is still plenty of time in this thing and lots of guys willing to help.  A back up for your back up is always a good thing too.  

Great bows being put out there this year. You can see all the friendships from last year and new ones being made this year.  That truely is the best thing about this swap.  Keep carvin and dont forget the pics!
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1223 on: February 20, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
so here is my trade bow so far.
the plan: to build a yew longbow utilising all local materials- it is not intended to emulate any local bow styles, because the local Haida do not have a bow culture- so i am just trying to build what i would consider my favourite, or ultimate bow, that i would love to carry hunting... and then pass it on...?!
a yew longbow, backed with halibut skins i have been saving for a special project (caught the halibut this last summer, man was it ever good!!)- possibly stopping about 10" short of the tips, to keep weight off the tips , as this is going to be a bend thru the handle design.
maybe a sharkskin handle( from the bay in front of the house) raccoon tail silencers- we get them on the beach at low tide( the entire raccoon that is- not just their tails!!)- they are exotic here and do horrendous damage to the bird populations

here is the stave, really nice stave straight, no twist, and as best as i could count- 54 growth rings per inch.

rough shaped , plan to be 1 1/4" at the fade, tapering to 3/8" tips with a slightly elliptical cross section

here is the profile prior to  any changes- i posted this stave on another thread on the bench asking for advice- and wanting to keep THIS stave long (my next one is going to be a shortie with heavily reflexed tips) as it was such a nice stave- art b suggested a gentle reflexing from mid limb out.

well i hope i understood him correctly

here is the only problem, on the back side- when i was shaping it, the stave showed no real sign of a knot like this- just looked like a little pin knot- until i thinned the belly down to rough dimensions- VOILA!!- it seems to be a loose knot.
the tip is still 1/2" wide here
could i retain the integrity of this bow, by keeping lots of meat around the knot as i reduce the width, or should i shorten it slightly, and put this in the non working section of the tip, i dont think i can cut it out completely, as that would bring it down to 56"- way too short!!!
i thought of removing the knot, because it appears loose, and does not go right through the limb, and shaping a dowel of  some hardwood( ipe maybe) and glueing it in with urac.
the knot is about 6 1/2 " from the tip

what say ya fellas

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1224 on: February 20, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Looking good all. Gonna head to the shop here shortly to work on somethin. Got a few osage staves roghed out just waitin for the "ONE" that shouts trade bow!
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1225 on: February 20, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I'm already on plan C and thinking of plan D just in case.  Have about 150 arrows through plan C so far.  If I get another 50 to 100 through her with no problems and a few hours of sweating time, I'll get her all purtied up and ready to go.

Rmorris, hang in there, it won't be long anymore.

Very sound advise there DVS, being in a hurry is what got me to plan C so fast......Dan

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1226 on: February 20, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Just wanted to show some pictures of the bow I received from JamesV in the Bow Swap.

I have had it for a few weeks now but am just getting around to taking pics.  

This think is sweet....Super smooth on the draw, very quiet and hits like a HAMMER!

I am very happy....Thanks a TON JamesV you do great work!     :thumbsup:    

Tenbrook

Offline 1025 vs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1227 on: February 20, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm not really worrried about which plan I go with, because while I was in between sessions with this and the PA swap bow I banged out a slightly snakey birch bow for moose season. It turned out nicer than most of my birch bows and I can always send that. (Just have to refinish it, the varathane ran in 2 places. Good enough for me but not for the swap).    Rob
Don't know how I got here and don't know where i'm going, but life is grand.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1228 on: February 20, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Ok I'm gonna try this from my phone... Anyways I got a pretty good start on half a bow .... Drew me some lines and got after it with the hatchet then finished it off down to my lines with a draw knife.

I guess I should add that it's Hackberry. Had some knots I didn't like so it's gonna be a 2 piece.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1229 on: February 20, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
I forgot to add....... Killer buncha bows you guys are building and some lucky guys on the receiving end.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1230 on: February 20, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Ok I'm gonna try this from my phone... Anyways I got a pretty good start on half a bow .... Drew me some lines and got after it with the hatchet then finished it off down to my lines with a draw knife.

I guess I should add that it's Hackberry. Had some knots I didn't like so it's gonna be a 2 piece.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1231 on: February 20, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Wayne that offset in your handle will be super cool if you can make it work... I am very limited in experience but I like meat around knots and with ten inches of non working limb I like your leave it long plan...

How did you put the reflex in the limbs? wet, dry?

WestTexan a two/pc Hack?  Cool  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1232 on: February 20, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Sweet bow tenbrook !!!

Nice job James  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1233 on: February 20, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
hey Ryan, i used dry heat- heat gun and cooking oil- kinda just like i have done osage before- except the yew doesnt ever seem to get to that soft pliable stage.
 i just mades sure to heat up the belly and sides, and when i could feel the back was too hot to touch, i cinched down the clamps, then added a little more heat after clamping- just to make sure- i found that you lose approx i/3 to half of the clamped reflex once it has cooled.
 i will be keeping the meat around the knot, and possibly do a glue in patch for the knot.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1234 on: February 20, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Well it's a great looking start Wayne!!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1235 on: February 21, 2012, 03:47:00 AM »
Looks like things are moving along nicely.

Best advice I've seen so far was by DVS, Take it slow and easy and have a back up for your backup.

Trust me I know LOL
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1236 on: February 21, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
Somehow I knew Kris was gonna be one of the first ones done this year. Haha. A backup sometimes just isn't enough huh.   ;)  

This is where ole **** *******'s bow sits right now.  

Of course I had to find some flaws in the piece, so I'm working around some cracks and other issues, but so far nothing major, just some cracks in the fades, and a few checks on the back, and....   :)
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1237 on: February 21, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
I agree 100% about having plan A,B,C. My plan A exploded early on when it was nealy done. Plan B is nearly done, needing one more coat of Tru-oil and a finish coat of spray on poly. Only it came in a few pounds light. Plans C and D are cut out and waiting for the Urac I oredered to arrive.
The bows being built for the swap are just amazing! I just hope my offering will be up to snuff.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1238 on: February 21, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Great advice David,  I am working three staves. Have two trade bows to build, so out of the tripple build should be ok but also have the pile of other staves roughed out as well  :thumbsup:

Just remember that the most effeceint bow is 99% broke and the most in-effeceint is 100% broke!  Learning not to step over the edge is critical.  Right Kris?  :deadhorse:  

Great looking work everyone!
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1239 on: February 21, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
I bet no one can guess what I am going to do as soon as I get out of class in 1 hour...
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©