Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46579 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #1320 on: February 26, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
well lets plan a trip- i have some friends with farms- and they can direct us to crown land too.
maybe next summer- with all the hunting planned for this year.-  as i think spring time with the fresh buds is the best time- sap is up- but no new soft layer laid down yet

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1321 on: February 26, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Guys, if you're going to be in Southern Ontario and you need to buy wood, I can direct you to one or two good suppliers.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1322 on: February 26, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
sounds awesome dave- i will pm you
thanks

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1323 on: February 26, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
here's how far i have got.

got her worked down to the lines- with a little lube!

drilled, then dremmeled and sanded out the loose knot- it didnt go right through the limb- stopped right up against the sapwood.

inorder to get the plug to be an exact fit- as it was a blind hole- i pressed in some pasticine, and used it as a template to sand by hand an Ipe plug.

plug glued in with my favourite- urac!!

heres what the ling cod skins look like that i prepped today- might just use them on this bow- they really look cool!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1324 on: February 26, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Looks petty sweet Wayne. Except for that muk in a bottle.  Where's the crown? At least segrams?   :goldtooth:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1325 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Wow! I love those skins! That is going to look sooo cool!
Dave.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1326 on: February 27, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Very neat skins fujimo.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1327 on: February 27, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Nice Wayne, you need my mailing address or you already have it? :)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1328 on: February 27, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
thanks guys we will see how they change as they dry, i suspect they will darken and dull a little- but the finish will bring some of it out again.
yup got your address Roy- shouldnt cost too much to send you a 6 pack of the "mothers milk"!- but beware it has a tendancy to turn ya into a belligerant soccer hooligan!

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1329 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Here's some progress on the riser I've been working on- the limbs are still being tweeked...

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1330 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Looks great Wayne...  have you used the Ling skins before? That's a fish we catch on a regular basis here but it's tough to get a legal 24 plus fish but every once in a while a three footer hits the deck   :)  

I can't wait to see what those look like when you finish!!!  Great colors I hope they hold!!

Have you tried any of the rockfish skins? Like barber poles or reds?

No sissy beer for you Canada boys, only thing missing from that pic is a good cigar   :)

That riser looks GREAT David !!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1331 on: February 27, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
hey David,no size restriction on the ling cod here- just a daily limit- which i sometimes think is better- for the fish that is!
the cod skins are sure thicker and tougher than the halibut- the halibut seem to have come out real dark- but i will see how they turn out.
we gotta use fish skins up here- no snakes up here!!- one day i would like to get hold of some snake skins.
havent tried the other fish skins you mention- but am on the lookout for them nowdays.
i am probably going to use some dogfish( shark!!) skin for the handle- would like to try a full sharkskin backing for a backed bow.- i have some yew heartwood that i might make some backed bows with- some with hickory , and at least one with sharkskin!wayne.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1332 on: February 27, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
I'd love to see a sharkskin backed bow. Maybe you could use a Great White tooth as a broadhead to go with it.
Dave.

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1333 on: February 27, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
Below is a pict of my trade bow at full draw (HHB 52#at 28”).  I think I’m good with the tiller…always nice to have extra eyes on the tiller tree for advice…!  My target weight is 45-50# so I have a little wiggle room.  I hope to clean up the handle a bit shoot it a bunch and do the final finish work.  I may either go with a leather rest (I like to crease the leather in a vice and add a couple drops of super glue to set the 90 degree bend) or a deer toe…just finished two bows using a toe bone as a rest and they turned out real cool!  I plan to seal the wood with Tung oil and wrap the handle in leather.  I’m contemplating adding some chestnut to the tips (chestnut is in the sample tree family as HHB and though the light/dark contrast may look pretty nice…will also help mesh with the color of the leather I use for the handle.

I could not resist including a couple picts of my children at a shoot we attended this past weekend.  Both Colton and Carly helped make their own arrows and bows (Colton (8 yrs old) made self nocks arrows and backed his hickory with sinew – Carly (6 yrs old) backed her hickory with natural linen (and painted some leaf patterns…she named her bow “Forest”)).

The photos above appear larger than I thought...please let me know if I need to resize further.  Thanks!
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow."  GD

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1334 on: February 27, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
dinorocks, Hmmmmmmm 45-50# whose spec's are those, me!!!!

Looks real good   :)  

Some of the guys I know around here fish Leopard Sharks of the rocks at the harbor mouth. I wonder how thick their skins are? Really cool looking fish    :)  

We have Great Whites here. We are on the end of what is reffered to as blood alley but I can't imagine that skin being used other than a handle wrap?

http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=55
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1335 on: February 27, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Those leopard sharks are beautiful. Is it possible to get skins?
Dave.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1336 on: February 27, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Fujimo,  Ihave done several Ling cod skinned bows. It makes great backing and is tough howevere the color will fade considerably when dried. I have had some that were beautiful but when dried all you could see was the grayish brown.

Kip, I would also like to know if the lepard shark skin is abtainable
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1337 on: February 27, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
Check out this Coopers Hawk that was having lunch outside my sons bedroom window this weekend.

And here are a few pictures of my current hackberry selfbow project that may be my trade bow. Pre and post stain. Weighs in at 47# @ 28'' which falls right in with many TG trade members requested weight ranges and is 66'' overall and 65'' NTN. This bow had natural set of 1/2'' before tillering and it always comes back to 1 1/4'' total set after a short rest. Its shooting very nicely now   :archer2:  

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1338 on: February 27, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Well done SportHunter...Those flipped tips look great and I like the dark stain too.

Great looking bows everybody.  I've got two more blanks glued up.  Gonna see I can get one to survive.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1339 on: February 27, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Very nice Paul....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©